Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Spec for the 6.4 Hemi

Wobly

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 2500 w/6.4L HEMI has 0W-40 spec. I still wondering if anyone knows what oil brand the dealership uses during their oil change. Sales guys just keep telling me whatever the vehicle calls for. He doesn't really know and doesn't what to ask any techs.
It should be Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Xsetiere

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 2500 w/6.4L HEMI has 0W-40 spec. I still wondering if anyone knows what oil brand the dealership uses during their oil change. Sales guys just keep telling me whatever the vehicle calls for. He doesn't really know and doesn't what to ask any techs.
I just had my first oil change done through the quick lube at ram and they used 0w40 Pennzoil ultra platnium.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
In case you'd like to live dangerously....DRO makes an oil that is "Ideal for modern German, Italian and British sports car engines, as well as Chrysler 6.4L Hemis." Exactly the wording I'm looking for when I choose an engine oil.

I went with redline 0w40 because I wanted something that is cutting-edge in oil technology, having some group 5 magic is supposed to keep it from sheering down as quickly. I ran PUP in my 2015 PowerWagon, got the best deal from my local dealer, they'd sell it to me about 0.50$ cheaper than amazon. Decided I'd try redline this time around.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I just use the Mobile 1 "European Car Formula Full Synthetic" from Wal-Mart because you can get the 5qt bottles that are way cheaper than anywhere else. It meets the requirements, even if it's not "certified". I struggle to believe that an oil that meets all the high-strung euro turbo car requirements isn't good enough for our decidedly old-school pushrod V8s. With my history the odds are the engine will last long past when I replace the truck anyway.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
My brain hurts. I've been trying to read all the stuff on the various specs for the 6.4L, and there are "old" threads with the old specs and now newer threads with the new "MS-A0921" spec. It seems the common thread is to just stay with PUP and not worry about it. My 2022 manual basically says to use 0-40 with the "API donut" trademark, of which most 0-40 motor oils do satisfy.

I am planning on using the Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 since it comes in 5 gallon jugs, which does save a good chunk. It has the "API donut" which is what my manual says it must have. My masters coursework was on ICEs and I spent a lot of time in the tribology lab, plus 4 years working in an oil analysis lab. A lot of what I read obviously comes from folks who don't understand ICE tribology issues.

FWIW, the paragraph in the manual on the "tick" made me smile too.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I just use the Mobile 1 "European Car Formula Full Synthetic" from Wal-Mart because you can get the 5qt bottles

Thanks for that, I was going to get it from Amazon because I could not find it at Wal-Mart. But, I'm a dummy...I still had the 2011 5.7 Hemi Ram in as my "vehicle". When I changed it, there it was. Got the 12qt box on the way next time the wife orders.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread