Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Spec for the 6.4 Hemi

Zigbee

Reaction score
I'm looking for some thoughts and opinions on the 6.4 Hemi oil spec I'm reading about. I'm new to Hemi engines, but always thought as long as I used an API certified oil with the right SAE viscosity, I was good to go no matter the engine. I have a Power Wagon on order so I don't have the manual in hand, but I've read parts of the download when checking for oil capacity and so forth. It is stated in the maintenance section: "We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark". After researching this material standard I found out the previous two year models fell under the MS-12633 specification. I'm not into oil chemistry and not familiar with these standards, but after more searching it appears that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 is the only oil meeting the MS-A0921 standard? I think that Valvoline, Schaeffer's, and maybe Amsoil began to include the MS-12633 spec to their formula meeting Chrysler's requirement, but then it changed to MS-A0921 so they are no longer are "approved" with the new spec? Not sure.

Now I realize this is only a recommendation, but I read about the unfortunate few having a severe engine "tick" with subsequent engine damage. In at least one case the dealer's service department asked what oil was being used and requested receipts. It was also said the engine oil was lab tested to check for the material standard. At first this seemed a little far fetched, but then I recalled one of my dealer service repairs and thought yeah this could happen.

So why not use PUP 0w-40, keep a record, and not worry about it? I have no problem paying a few extra dollars for the Pennzoil product, but it's not the most convenient oil to find in my area. Also, the last oil purchase I made on Amazon came with a leaking 5 quart jug. I've used the Castrol brand, easily found at Walmart, over the years and never had an issue. One truck I own has almost 200k miles and still going without any problems, so I'm considering going with that.

I hate to be negative, but it sounds like they are pushing people toward Pennzoil because of their partnership, or they're trying to formulate a special oil to reduce the tick instead of re-engineering the engine to reduce the tick. I don't think that the 6.4 Hemi is a particularly unreliable engine, but I do have a considerable amount of bad luck. I'm trying to identify a potential problem before I create one. Not to mention with supply chain issues, and this rapidly decaying economy, I'd like to keep enough oil stocked up for at least a few oil changes.

I searched the forum and found this older thread Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W40 for 6.4? that touched on the subject, but I was wondering if anyone here has looked into it or could point me to some more information. Also, do you have any experiences with the Hemi tick as it relates to oil brand? Any experiences at the dealer service department involving engine oil? Where do you buy Pennzoil online? Do you know of another brand with the MS-A0921 spec?

jadmt

Reaction score
I have never had an issue ordering PuP 0w40 on Amazon. it does only come in quarts tho so no 5 qt containers of PUP 0w40. you need to order in 6 qt cases. usually under $50 a case.

Wobly

Reaction score

Zigbee

Reaction score
I have never had an issue ordering PuP 0w40 on Amazon. it does only come in quarts tho so no 5 qt containers of PUP 0w40. you need to order in 6 qt cases. usually under $50 a case.

Currently $52 for 6 qts. https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856-6PK-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCE6U/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=pennzoil+ultra+platinum+0w-40&qid=1659640731&sprefix=pennzoil,aps,190&sr=8-3&th=1

I have enough for two oil changes in the garage, but have been letting the dealer do it with the oil change package.

Ordered two cases. Thanks.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm looking for some thoughts and opinions on the 6.4 Hemi oil spec I'm reading about. I'm new to Hemi engines, but always thought as long as I used an API certified oil with the right SAE viscosity, I was good to go no matter the engine. I have a Power Wagon on order so I don't have the manual in hand, but I've read parts of the download when checking for oil capacity and so forth. It is stated in the maintenance section: "We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark". After researching this material standard I found out the previous two year models fell under the MS-12633 specification. I'm not into oil chemistry and not familiar with these standards, but after more searching it appears that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 is the only oil meeting the MS-A0921 standard? I think that Valvoline, Schaeffer's, and maybe Amsoil began to include the MS-12633 spec to their formula meeting Chrysler's requirement, but then it changed to MS-A0921 so they are no longer are "approved" with the new spec? Not sure.

Now I realize this is only a recommendation, but I read about the unfortunate few having a severe engine "tick" with subsequent engine damage. In at least one case the dealer's service department asked what oil was being used and requested receipts. It was also said the engine oil was lab tested to check for the material standard. At first this seemed a little far fetched, but then I recalled one of my dealer service repairs and thought yeah this could happen.

So why not use PUP 0w-40, keep a record, and not worry about it? I have no problem paying a few extra dollars for the Pennzoil product, but it's not the most convenient oil to find in my area. Also, the last oil purchase I made on Amazon came with a leaking 5 quart jug. I've used the Castrol brand, easily found at Walmart, over the years and never had an issue. One truck I own has almost 200k miles and still going without any problems, so I'm considering going with that.

I hate to be negative, but it sounds like they are pushing people toward Pennzoil because of their partnership, or they're trying to formulate a special oil to reduce the tick instead of re-engineering the engine to reduce the tick. I don't think that the 6.4 Hemi is a particularly unreliable engine, but I do have a considerable amount of bad luck. I'm trying to identify a potential problem before I create one. Not to mention with supply chain issues, and this rapidly decaying economy, I'd like to keep enough oil stocked up for at least a few oil changes.

I searched the forum and found this older thread Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W40 for 6.4? that touched on the subject, but I was wondering if anyone here has looked into it or could point me to some more information. Also, do you have any experiences with the Hemi tick as it relates to oil brand? Any experiences at the dealer service department involving engine oil? Where do you buy Pennzoil online? Do you know of another brand with the MS-A0921 spec?

As far as I know, PuP is the only oil that meets MS-A0921... as far as I'm concerned, it is a scam.
If you go to the MOBIL 1 site and go to their vehicle finder/recommended oil, the image below is what you get.

Dealers don't want to do warranty work because it costs them money... so yeah, some will come up with any reason to initially deny a claim.
For what it's worth, it is 'recommended' oil, not 'required' oil... they would need to prove the oil itself caused the problem.

If you really want to get deep into the weeds, then this is the place to go Bob is the Oil Guy Forum

1659702813791.png

Zigbee

Reaction score
As far as I know, PuP is the only oil that meets MS-A0921... as far as I'm concerned, it is a scam.
If you go to the MOBIL 1 site and go to their vehicle finder/recommended oil, the image below is what you get.

Dealers don't want to do warranty work because it costs them money... so yeah, some will come up with any reason to initially deny a claim.
For what it's worth, it is 'recommended' oil, not 'required' oil... they would need to prove the oil itself caused the problem.

If you really want to get deep into the weeds, then this is the place to go Bob is the Oil Guy Forum

View attachment 42230
I agree. Obviously there is an attempt to push Ram owners toward this particular oil even if it's a recommendation.

There's a lot of info in Bob's forum. I didn't realize how much variation there is in oil formulas. With that said, for the average automobile engine there's nothing wrong with Mobile 1 or any of the major brands.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I use Castrol Edge 5W-40 as they do not sell 0W-40 here in SOCAL. It doesn't get that cold. Almost 20K miles and no issues.
Been using Castrol for decades with no issues.
Wife's truck has 150K miles and I used regular Castrol in it from the beginning, no synthetic. Changed whenever the oil life said to.

Just choose whatever oil brand you are loyal to and use it. They can't deny any warranty work just because you didn't use their "recommended" oil.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I use Redline 0w40 - says it meets the spec right on the bottle. Runs fine.

jetrinka

Reaction score
How in the world could they recommend it for a spec if it didn't meet the spec? Really sounds like they'd have a lot of false advertising problems on their hands... When I look up my specific vehicle in Oreilly's parts catalog for example the only two oils I get are the PUP and Redline. I think most people would interpret "recommended for" as "its fine"

Last edited:

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
How in the world could they recommend it for a spec if it didn't meet the spec? Really sounds like they'd have a lot of false advertising problems on their hands... When I look up my specific vehicle in Oreilly's parts catalog for example the only two oils I get are the PUP and Redline. I think most people would interpret that as well as the "recommended for" as "its fine"
I’m not a lawyer but I would imagine the company is entitled to say THEY recommend their product, even if Chrysler/Stellantis hasn’t certified the product as meeting THEIR required specifications.

Dunkin Donuts likely recommends their Boston Cream donut, though my cardiologist wouldn’t say it meets his specifications for my diet…

jadmt

Reaction score
How in the world could they recommend it for a spec if it didn't meet the spec? Really sounds like they'd have a lot of false advertising problems on their hands... When I look up my specific vehicle in Oreilly's parts catalog for example the only two oils I get are the PUP and Redline. I think most people would interpret "recommended for" as "its fine"
because they want you to buy their oil. In order to meet chrysler specs it has to go through testing which the oil company is responsible for the cost of the testing. I actually think it is slimy of redline and amsoil for saying they recommend it.....cool thing about the USA is you can use what you want and most likely it will work out for you.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
It's like CARB here in Komiforina.
Pay me big bucks and I'll give you a EO so you can sell it for road use in Komiforina.
Or dont and sell it as off road use only. Biggest crock of BS I've ever seen.
Put a bunch of non CARB approved parts on my '90Chevy truck.
Had more HP and ran cleaner than when brand new according to the smog readout and tail pipe sniffer.

All I can say about the oil is Magnsan/Moss act. Prove that my oil I used caused the issue, or fix the motor. Case closed.

79 300

Reaction score
5.7 Hemis used to spec 5W-20 (my 2019 does), 6.4 Hemis spec 0W-40. I believe the 5.7 spec switched to 0W-20 in the last year or two.

Kenton007

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 2500 w/6.4L HEMI has 0W-40 spec. I still wondering if anyone knows what oil brand the dealership uses during their oil change. Sales guys just keep telling me whatever the vehicle calls for. He doesn't really know and doesn't what to ask any techs.

Users who are viewing this thread