Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change intervals

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it does seem odd, buts it’s the only literature I’ve seen on factory fills. There is rumor of it being mentioned at a Rally/meetup with Cummins, but that’s rumor.

Only a few thousand miles shouldn’t have enough soot to thicken to a 40wt CST.

My factory fill is long gone, no testing here.
Yeah I can’t get any literature on the Ram factory fill either. Seems obscure (like mostly all of their other information on these trucks)

CdnHO

Reaction score
Their data sheet has it at 12.0 brand new. That doesn’t align with the results we saw (sent to Cummins / Polaris). Not saying you’re wrong, just interesting to see that doesn’t match up. View attachment 70079
It would also be odd that they would choose to use an oil that is not suitable for every operating environment as the factory fill. Keep in mind that their statement “It is also the new factory fill engine oil for Cummins Natural Gas engines (ISX12 N, L9N, B6.7N) and the Cummins X15, X12, L9 and B6.7 diesel engines.” doesn’t not specify the FCA-destined 6.7. The commercial B6.7 is still flat tappet solid lifter, so it can have different oil requirements than the FCA6.7. A 10w30 oil in that application would actually be a better cold flowing oil than the 15w40 alternative.
I am always a bit leary about a "one size fits all" solution. Diesels are a different animal.

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Did my first oil change this week. Just over 7000 miles over 9 months. Factory gauge said I had approx 50% life left. I figured it was a good time, as when fuel filters (indicated 50% life left as well) are ready to be changed, I will do oil again. Used rotella t6 10/30 I ordered off of Amazon and a new mopar filter (Genos garage). Not a fan of oil filter location. Factory filter actually left o ring on oil filter adapter. First time that has happened to me in over 25 years. I also collected a sample and sent out to black stone for analysis.I did this on my old 7.3 power stroke to assess how long I could go between changes. I ended up doubling the recommended factory 3/3000 recommendations from 1999.

Ordering a fumoto oil drain valve to install on next oil change. Factory drain plug allows oil to leave at such a quick rate, I had to put drain plug back in twice as my oil container was goin to overflow.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Did my first oil change this week. Just over 7000 miles over 9 months. Factory gauge said I had approx 50% life left. I figured it was a good time, as when fuel filters (indicated 50% life left as well) are ready to be changed, I will do oil again. Used rotella t6 10/30 I ordered off of Amazon and a new mopar filter (Genos garage). Not a fan of oil filter location. Factory filter actually left o ring on oil filter adapter. First time that has happened to me in over 25 years. I also collected a sample and sent out to black stone for analysis.I did this on my old 7.3 power stroke to assess how long I could go between changes. I ended up doubling the recommended factory 3/3000 recommendations from 1999.

Ordering a fumoto oil drain valve to install on next oil change. Factory drain plug allows oil to leave at such a quick rate, I had to put drain plug back in twice as my oil container was goin to overflow.

Without regular UOA’s I wouldn’t go past the OEM interval of 500hrs/12months/15K miles as fuel in the oil is a legitimate concern at those intervals. I also wouldn’t do it on the Mopar filter, it’s one of the least efficient filters for these motors.

It’s easy to double, or more, the old 3mo/3K intervals but not it’s not as easy on these newer trucks, especially under warranty. I did run 12 months (vs the stated 6) on my 2018 under warranty, but never exceeded the 15K miles and also ran an oil that backed a 12 month interval (Amsoil Signature Series). Now that the OEM interval is a more acceptable 12 months I just run OEM intervals and call it good.

Did you get the Blackstone UOA with TBN?

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Without regular UOA’s I wouldn’t go past the OEM interval of 500hrs/12months/15K miles as fuel in the oil is a legitimate concern at those intervals. I also wouldn’t do it on the Mopar filter, it’s one of the least efficient filters for these motors.

It’s easy to double, or more, the old 3mo/3K intervals but not it’s not as easy on these newer trucks, especially under warranty. I did run 12 months (vs the stated 6) on my 2018 under warranty, but never exceeded the 15K miles and also ran an oil that backed a 12 month interval (Amsoil Signature Series). Now that the OEM interval is a more acceptable 12 months I just run OEM intervals and call it good.

Did you get the Blackstone UOA with TBN?
I did not do the tbn this time. Once I get a handle on what is good, and it just may be twice. A year, I might do tbn.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not do the tbn this time. Once I get a handle on what is good, and it just may be twice. A year, I might do tbn.

On a properly operating engine TBN is the single biggest factor that determines how long you can run engine oil, without TBN you’re not seeing the proper picture.

scrmblr2

Reaction score
On a properly operating engine TBN is the single biggest factor that determines how long you can run engine oil, without TBN you’re not seeing the proper picture.
I hear ya. Sine I am nowhere near the extended service mileage, I don’t feel it is worth it until I get a baseline. Hell, I’m not ever really sure what came in the engine from the factory. I am assuming it was 10/30 synthetic…….but I think I have heard others stating it was different on their ‘23’s

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Sine I am nowhere near the extended service mileage, I don’t feel it is worth it until I get a baseline. Hell, I’m not ever really sure what came in the engine from the factory. I am assuming it was 10/30 synthetic…….but I think I have heard others stating it was different on their ‘23’s

Still nothing definitive on what oil comes from the factory. It should be 5w-40, but 10w-30 has been mentioned.

I’m really curious to see what the factory fill and break-in miles look like on your oil. Would you be willing to post the results?

IMO TBN is a major part of a baseline for and oil, so I’d recommend getting it on your UOA’s.When I was picking an oil and establishing a baseline on our 4Runner nearly 20 years ago the only real difference was TBN, and without it I would have likely picked the wrong oil based on price since the rest of the UOA was just as good. I learned real quick to only use tests that included it.

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Still nothing definitive on what oil comes from the factory. It should be 5w-40, but 10w-30 has been mentioned.

I’m really curious to see what the factory fill and break-in miles look like on your oil. Would you be willing to post the results?

IMO TBN is a major part of a baseline for and oil, so I’d recommend getting it on your UOA’s.When I was picking an oil and establishing a baseline on our 4Runner nearly 20 years ago the only real difference was TBN, and without it I would have likely picked the wrong oil based on price since the rest of the UOA was just as good. I learned real quick to only use tests that included it.
I can certainly try to post when I get the results. Sent in mail this week and if I remember correctly, it was usually a few week turnaround. I will try to remember to try and post. Haven’t sent them a sample in a few years, so I might be remembering incorrectly.

batman900

Reaction score
I received 4 free changes for 24 months with my purchase but I only do about 6k miles a year. I'll probably do my first change early at 6 months and then the next 2 at 9 month intervals. I'll be sacrificing one free change which sucks but it seems like a waste otherwise....

baker01

Reaction score
2022 DRW crew cab HO. 75% highway 12-14.5 MPG. If towing 7-8 MPG

56ram2500

Reaction score
Next time why not buy a Fleetguard sample kit as it includes TBN at not extra cost and they are much cheaper then Blackstone labs, I trust a Cummins lab more than Blackstone: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fleetguard-oil-analysis-kit-cc2543/oil-filters

downsc123

Reaction score

56ram2500

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. Does that kit include the cost of the actual analysis? I assume it has the address where to ship it?
Yes it does and it includes cost of testing, price you pay for the kit does not cover postage to mail it to the lab, but that cost is low, the last time I sent one in it cost me around $5.00 but it will be a bit more now as postage has gone up since I sent mine in

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I would do a break in oil change at 3-5k miles. I personally feel 15k is too long. I would change it every 10k. Oil is cheap insurance. I personally would do 5k, then again at 15k. Send 15k one to black stone labs and test it. If they say oil is still good, stretch next one to 27,500. Test again and if all is well keep it there or go to every 15k. I always send for testing every other oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread