Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change intervals

Clark89

Reaction score
24 ram 2500. Just got it 6 weeks ago. What is the ideal oil change time in these. Let me know if your using Miles or Km.

flan

Reaction score
Honestly the advice in the owners manual is pretty good. 15k miles, or 1 year whichever comes first. NO 15/40 oil like the previous trucks, 5/40 or 10/30syn only. Oil viscosity choice is climate based as well. All explained in your manual. Most opt for the 5/40syn option with a quality filter.
There may be some extreme use cases that could call for a early change, let us know your intended use for your vehicle. Tons of experience to help guide you along.
Welcome aboard!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The OEM specs are pretty good to follow, which makes it easy to line up oil/filter and fuel filters on the 12 month/15K mile interval.

I did pull an early change for two reasons. First I like an early oil change on a new motor, and second the factory fill is allegedly 10w-30 and I wanted 5w-40 for the temps I see. I then changed the oil again when the fuel filters were due to keep them aligned.

Clark89

Reaction score
I’m in southern ontario. I would say our winter is over now. We are on the up swing on temps.

Truck is six weeks old now. Have our 12000lm on it. I own a construction company.

I was debating on changing it early just due to being a new motor.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Basically did what @AH64ID does. Got the truck in April and changed oil in September around 4000 kilometers (2500 miles). Just before towing 4000 miles. Then the following April when returning from the south, I changed oil/filter and fuel filters. Using Rotella 5W40. Now change everything each April when I get back from the south. I put around 6000 miles (1000 km) on the truck annually. Maintenance schedule requires at least annual oil changes.

Last edited:

Grey

Reaction score
24 ram 2500. Just got it 6 weeks ago. What is the ideal oil change time in these. Let me know if your using Miles or Km

As mentioned above the book is decent. However if you spend a lot of time idling, or pulling heavy. You might consider some number lower. Everyone has their magic number. On e thing I do, is time that fall oil change so I dont need to be screwing with it when really cold.

Clark89

Reaction score
Man everyone says refer to the book. I don’t have a book. Lol. Does anyone have a picture of the maintenance schedule in the book.

I don’t do a lot of heavy pulling as per say.

I’m at 12570km right now.

Think I will go to 15000 and have everything changed and then go from there.

Grey

Reaction score
Man everyone says refer to the book. I don’t have a book. Lol.

No problem, just jump on the ram truck sight. Click the owners section, you can download a digital copy of the manual. Nice thing on that when you open it, it has a search feature for the info you need. I downloaded it on my lap top, so I can plop the lap top down around the truck open and look. Very handy Although, I do suggest reading the entire manual.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Man everyone says refer to the book. I don’t have a book. Lol. Does anyone have a picture of the maintenance schedule in the book.

Think I will go to 15000 and have everything changed and then go from there.

Did you buy it used? Or did they stop putting printing manuals in the new trucks?

The online versions get updated thou, so that’s a better way to go anyways. I keep a copy on my phone, along with other digital documents relative to the truck.

Clark89

Reaction score
Did you buy it used? Or did they stop putting printing manuals in the new trucks?

The online versions get updated thou, so that’s a better way to go anyways. I keep a copy on my phone, along with other digital documents relative to the truck.

Brand new off the lot 6 weeks ago

Cseybert

Reaction score
Me personally on all my new trucks 2000 miles first oil change. Then every 5000 miles Amsoil full synthetic 15 W-40 in my 97 10 W-30 in my 22. just my opinion I know a lot of people won’t agree oil it’s a lot cheaper than a new engine.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Me personally on all my new trucks 2000 miles first oil change. Then every 5000 miles Amsoil full synthetic 15 W-40 in my 97 10 W-30 in my 22. just my opinion I know a lot of people won’t agree oil it’s a lot cheaper than a new engine.

Yeah that’s a lot of oil, unless you’re only driving 5K a year.

These motors just aren’t hard on oil, unless there is an issue allowing fuel to get in there.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly the advice in the owners manual is pretty good. 15k miles, or 1 year whichever comes first. NO 15/40 oil like the previous trucks, 5/40 or 10/30syn only. Oil viscosity choice is climate based as well. All explained in your manual. Most opt for the 5/40syn option with a quality filter.
There may be some extreme use cases that could call for a early change, let us know your intended use for your vehicle. Tons of experience to help guide you along.
Welcome aboard!
Fairly certain factory fill is 5w40. When we sent in samples of factory fill oil several years ago (would have been a 2019+ truck but can’t remember exact model year) the oil came back with a CST @100 of well over 12. I think it was actually about 14 with only a few thousand miles on it at most. At that viscosity, I don’t think it could be 10w30.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil changes should be based on the trucks duty cycle, and that’s going to vary wildly from truck to truck. Generally speaking if you’re doing a lot of low load, low speed, stop and go, or higher idle times, you should be changing the oil sooner. Keep in mind that the 15,000 mile interval is not the mandatory interval, it is the maximum permissible under certain conditions. A significant portion of what these trucks are out there doing every day would fall under the severe service clause, and thus necessitate that the oil be changed sooner. The oil life monitor is a guide, but I can assure you that there are factors that system does not take into account and one of them is how frequently the truck is in regeneration. The more it regenerates, the more fuel will end up in the engine oil. Not all engine oils handle fuel dilution equally. Rotella is notoriously bad at handling fuel dilution, whereas higher end oils like Amsoil will handle it far better. If you really want to know when it’s time to change your engine oil, start with a number around half the normal interval, so 7,500 miles, and pull an oil sample and send it off for analysis. This gives you an idea of where the oil stands at roughly half its service life. Then adjust your changes from there. The more often you sample at each drain interval the better you’ll understand how your oil stacks up. Also keep in mind that not all oil filters are created equal either. Cellulose oil filters aren’t always the best choice for long drain intervals, whereas synthetic media filters are designed to last longer and do a better job over the long haul.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@mbarber84 I’m not convinced the 6.7 oil change gauge takes anything into account aside from miles. That being said it’s not linear as my fuel filter gauge and oil like gauge were up to 4% different around 70-80% remaining but now are back to 1% different at 50% (cheap programming). It’s a 2022, how hard could it be to use 4+ parameters for OCI… miles, hours, months, regens/fuel dilution estimation, and maybe ambient temp and or average load/fuel burn.

My wife’s Gladistor on the other hand appears to take hours and miles into account. It’s showing 80% life remaining with 1300 miles on the oil, for a 10K OCI. But we’ll see what it does as it gets closer to 10K miles, like my CTD.

Fairly certain factory fill is 5w40. When we sent in samples of factory fill oil several years ago (would have been a 2019+ truck but can’t remember exact model year) the oil came back with a CST @100 of well over 12. I think it was actually about 14 with only a few thousand miles on it at most. At that viscosity, I don’t think it could be 10w30.

This article indicates that the factory fill is 10w-30. Prior to the CGI engine the factory fill was 5w-40.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This article indicates that the factory fill is 10w-30. Prior to the CGI engine the factory fill was 5w-40.

Their data sheet has it at 12.0 brand new. That doesn’t align with the results we saw (sent to Cummins / Polaris). Not saying you’re wrong, just interesting to see that doesn’t match up. IMG_5511.jpeg
It would also be odd that they would choose to use an oil that is not suitable for every operating environment as the factory fill. Keep in mind that their statement “It is also the new factory fill engine oil for Cummins Natural Gas engines (ISX12 N, L9N, B6.7N) and the Cummins X15, X12, L9 and B6.7 diesel engines.” doesn’t not specify the FCA-destined 6.7. The commercial B6.7 is still flat tappet solid lifter, so it can have different oil requirements than the FCA6.7. A 10w30 oil in that application would actually be a better cold flowing oil than the 15w40 alternative.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Their data sheet has it at 12.0 brand new. That doesn’t align with the results we saw (sent to Cummins / Polaris). Not saying you’re wrong, just interesting to see that doesn’t match up. View attachment 70079
It would also be odd that they would choose to use an oil that is not suitable for every operating environment as the factory fill. Keep in mind that their statement “It is also the new factory fill engine oil for Cummins Natural Gas engines (ISX12 N, L9N, B6.7N) and the Cummins X15, X12, L9 and B6.7 diesel engines.” doesn’t not specify the FCA-destined 6.7. The commercial B6.7 is still flat tappet solid lifter, so it can have different oil requirements than the FCA6.7. A 10w30 oil in that application would actually be a better cold flowing oil than the 15w40 alternative.

Yes it does seem odd, buts it’s the only literature I’ve seen on factory fills. There is rumor of it being mentioned at a Rally/meetup with Cummins, but that’s rumor.

Only a few thousand miles shouldn’t have enough soot to thicken to a 40wt CST.

My factory fill is long gone, no testing here.

Users who are viewing this thread