Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a recall but almost

UglyViking

Reaction score
I know some states, Cali is a great example, that won't let you register your vehicle is there is an open recall on it. Fingers crossed you don't have to deal with that but frankly I would rather have the recall than not. I wish my exhaust were a little louder, but outside potential replacement cost the DPF/SCR doesn't really concern me. The EGR is the more concerning of the two, and my understanding is that the EGR is still functioning as it regulates temp during combustion.

I don't know the specifics here, I'm running off hearsay. That said, I believe it is even possible today to get tuning that disables the EGR completely, however the downside is that it sucks up a lot more DEF.

unclelala

Reaction score
BUMP update ; Well Its been a year and 4 months and I have not heard a word back from Ram about the letter they sent me about getting that chip/software thing done.

sludge

Reaction score
I had the same on my 2022 5500. I received a recall letter a couple of weeks ago and I am bringing the truck in on Friday. I have to get it done or CA DMV will not renew my registration when it is due in February. It's supposed to be a fairly quick job.

unclelala

Reaction score
@sludge ...Just to clarify, did you receive a pre-recall letter before your recall ? When was your truck delivered ? Did you look at the PDF on the opening post I made on this thread ? Is it the same format ? The time that's elapsed between when I got the warning (NOT a recall) has been almost a 1 1/2 year.
My fear is that Ive gone 10,000 miles now without any issues and now they want to add a chip...this might just f_ _ k it right up now.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@sludge ...Just to clarify, did you receive a pre-recall letter before your recall ? When was your truck delivered ? Did you look at the PDF on the opening post I made on this thread ? Is it the same format ? The time that's elapsed between when I got the warning (NOT a recall) has been almost a 1 1/2 year.
My fear is that Ive gone 10,000 miles now without any issues and now they want to add a chip...this might just f_ _ k it right up now.
They only add the missing sensor and flash the computer to the same emission standards as the 20-21s

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

@H3LZSN1P3R Not sure what that means. Does that mean they are only doing 19's, and 22's ? :oops:

22 is the only one missing the sensor but emissions standards changed in 20 to my understanding so the 19s have different standards than the 20-21 so thats what i mean it has nothing to do with the 19s

UglyViking

Reaction score
22 is the only one missing the sensor but emissions standards changed in 20 to my understanding so the 19s have different standards than the 20-21 so thats what i mean it has nothing to do with the 19s
I was not aware of an emissions standards change. Is that CA only or was it USA as well?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was not aware of an emissions standards change. Is that CA only or was it USA as well?
I am not sure if it was just the emissions on the ECM program changed or the US standards but from what i have heard and read that was the difference in the 19 and 20 ECM flashes for the CP4 pump that caused the 19 to be delayed, that could be true or not i do not know for sure unfortunatly

UglyViking

Reaction score
I am not sure if it was just the emissions on the ECM program changed or the US standards but from what i have heard and read that was the difference in the 19 and 20 ECM flashes for the CP4 pump that caused the 19 to be delayed, that could be true or not i do not know for sure unfortunatly
I know there was an ECM program update for the "updated" CP4 that occurred with the mid 2020 trucks. I don't believe that had any effect on emissions. I also know there was an early issue with the 19 trucks using too much def, but that seems to be the same case here. Would be interesting to know what, if anything, changed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I know there was an ECM program update for the "updated" CP4 that occurred with the mid 2020 trucks. I don't believe that had any effect on emissions. I also know there was an early issue with the 19 trucks using too much def, but that seems to be the same case here. Would be interesting to know what, if anything, changed.

The PCM flash for the Symmetrical CP4.2 was for just that - the cam lobe profile change. There were lots of posts of dealers failing to do those flashes and reports of NOISY pumps due to that critical omission.

I can only guess that the dwell/open time of injector nozzles had to change and not doing so caused excess pressure and noise. Entirely a WAG on my part.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The PCM flash for the Symmetrical CP4.2 was for just that - the cam lobe profile change. There were lots of posts of dealers failing to do those flashes and reports of NOISY pumps due to that critical omission.

I can only guess that the dwell/open time of injector nozzles had to change and not doing so caused excess pressure and noise. Entirely a WAG on my part.
Yeah, I'm aware that is what I was calling out. I've not heard of any emissions changes in 2020 model trucks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware that is what I was calling out. I've not heard of any emissions changes in 2020 model trucks.
Like i said this is just what i have gathered from different sites and dealer conversations if its not true then no big deal

sludge

Reaction score
@unclelala

Sorry for the late reply. My truck is a 2022 5500 and was delivered in February. Here's the recall letter. I'll have to dig around for the original notice.

Attachments

• recall.jpg
    recall.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 25

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@unclelala

Sorry for the late reply. My truck is a 2022 5500 and was delivered in February. Here's the recall letter. I'll have to dig around for the original notice.
Seems like they’re doing the cab & chassis trucks first. I’ve seen several 2022 4500 / 5500 owners post that same recall notice but no pickups yet. I’m sure those sensors are probably still in short supply. They’ll likely issue them out in small quantities over a long period of time.

Has anyone crawled under a 2023 truck to see if that sensor is in place?

Users who are viewing this thread