Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sale agreement?

Farmer Matt

Reaction score
I have a new 3500 cab chassis coming from granger thanks to this forum but now they want me to sign this form, while I have no intention on selling this truck but I don’t appreciate having my hands tied on something I paid cash for.

Also I believe the line “otherwise transfer any ownership interest” could prevent transfer to an insurance company in the event of a total loss or prevent a lemon law claim if the need arose

They have told me that these would scenarios would be fine but I hate to sign the document without the exceptions printed within. What say y’all?

Attachments

• 7AE77E92-F2E8-49AC-9B48-F39932548203.png
    7AE77E92-F2E8-49AC-9B48-F39932548203.png
    940.4 KB · Views: 139

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Did they disclose that before you ordered your truck ? If not I know I wouldn’t sign it. Like you, I’m not going to be told what I can and can’t do with something I’ve paid for.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Six years at dealerships and over 30 vehicle purchases and I've never seen that before in my life. Lol! Seems unbelievable to me.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I dunno but apparently it’s a thing. People are ordering vehicles, waiting for them, and flipping them to people who don’t want to wait and will pay extra. I guess this is to stop that ?

D7EAFB2B-4D4B-41D1-A841-E26E03DAF2DE.png

CTF2019

Reaction score
Ridiculous. People need to refuse those agreements. Sounds like something from a communist country.

If someone wants to purchase and flip a vehicle, they should be able to as long as they pay full cash for it. If they finance, they aren’t the owner, and are bound by terms.

And to OP, you’re right. The language in that agreement gives no provision for a total loss scenario. It’s flawed, and I wouldn’t sign it. ‍

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Not gonna stand up in court. If they won’t sell to you without it, I wouldn’t worry about it anyway. It’s legal security theater.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Ford did that with the new GT40 for the same reason. To keep people from flipping and price gouging.
And it did stand up in court. Original Owner had to pay a big fine. Ford just donated the money to charity. But the second owner was then free to flip it again with no restrictions.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Mark dodge had me sign a similar document. Once you have the title, I'm not sure how they could stop you or why they would care what you do with the truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn’t sign it. If they want don’t want you to do what you want with the truck then they shouldn’t sell it to you.

Things like the Ford GT make sense because there was an extremely limited number of those and Ford didn’t want everyone who actually wanted to own one to get screwed. The only limit on Rams is how many they can crank out of the factory.

Koons and Peterson and several other dealers will happily order you a truck all day long without making you sign crap like that.

Alligator John

Reaction score
MD was almost 10 grand cheaper than my local dealer and locked in the price at the time of order. I was more than happy to sign it. I have no intention of flipping it, so not a big deal to me. One can always walk away and find another dealer if they don't like the terms of sale. My local dealer still calls me weekly trying to sell me a truck even though I told them I bought out of State. That local dealer was trying to sell me a truck at over MSRP. At that price I doubt they require that no resale contract.

jadmt

Reaction score
GM did that on a $10000 escalade it was just in the news not long ago. The guy refinanced and they cancelled his warranty claiming ownership changed. Can not remember the final outcome but a pain regardless. I remember the wrestling/ movie star guy who tried flipping the GT40 and i believe he lost.

jebruns

Reaction score
I did not have to sign anything like that last year when I ordered a truck from Granger. Let us know how this turns out.

Riddick

Reaction score
Typically dealers have started doing this on highly desirable low production cars such as the Ford GT, Shelby GT500, Corvette Z06, Dodge Demons, etc.... I guess they feel butt hurt when they sell a vehicle at MSRP and then the buyer sells it for a profit. I am not sure why they would do this for a HD pickup but if I had to guess they are doing it for all special ordered vehicles. I don't think you will be able to flip an HD truck anyways like you could on the named cars above, I think its more for BS legal reasons. If you don't like it order another vehicle but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, it does not matter if you paid cash for your vehicle or took out a 2nd mortgage on your home. Once the sale is done the dealer is paid, they don't care if the money comes from your personal account or a bank.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
I would ask them to add the provision for the insurance claim and lemon law. Other than that, no harm in signing especially if you intend to keep. And even if not, you can still sell at a year with probably a good profit anyway.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Ford did that with the new GT40 for the same reason. To keep people from flipping and price gouging.
And it did stand up in court. Original Owner had to pay a big fine. Ford just donated the money to charity. But the second owner was then free to flip it again with no restrictions.

Mark dodge had me sign a similar document. Once you have the title, I'm not sure how they could stop you or why they would care what you do with the truck.

MD was almost 10 grand cheaper than my local dealer and locked in the price at the time of order. I was more than happy to sign it. I have no intention of flipping it, so not a big deal to me. One can always walk away and find another dealer if they don't like the terms of sale. My local dealer still calls me weekly trying to sell me a truck even though I told them I bought out of State. That local dealer was trying to sell me a truck at over MSRP. At that price I doubt they require that no resale contract.

Full disclosure, I signed one too after buying from Mark Dodge last year because I get protecting yourself from being a middle man supplier of trucks…but regardless for a production vehicle that isn’t even tracked by number, I don’t think anyone would care to enforce it. Like you’re not going to make hundreds of thousands by selling your ONE Ram 3500….but it’s to discourage and scare people from buying 10 at a time.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I signed one similar when I bought my truck through Mark Dodge. However, MD only required that I not sell my truck to a 3rd party during the 1st six months of me owning it. When I questioned that to the MD finance guy, he said they require that so people won't flip the new rigs right after buying them. MD gives such great discounts, 14% below MSRP (~$8,000) in my case, that some people buy them then immediately turn around and sell them in places like where I live where the dealers give/gave no discounts at all. I had no problem at all with signing. I saved $8,000 and had a wonderful 3,000 drive back home when I flew down to Louisiana and picked up the truck last Feb.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I have a new 3500 cab chassis coming from granger thanks to this forum but now they want me to sign this form, while I have no intention on selling this truck but I don’t appreciate having my hands tied on something I paid cash for.

Also I believe the line “otherwise transfer any ownership interest” could prevent transfer to an insurance company in the event of a total loss or prevent a lemon law claim if the need arose

They have told me that these would scenarios would be fine but I hate to sign the document without the exceptions printed within. What say y’all?
They sent me one of those. I "forgot" to sign it before going to pick up my truck. While I was there, nobody brought it up and they still sold me the truck.

Farmer Matt

Reaction score
They sent me one of those. I "forgot" to sign it before going to pick up my truck. While I was there, nobody brought it up and they still sold me the truck.
I’ve probably made a big enough stink I won’t get away with that.

I am very agreeable to a provision that allows a total loss or lemon law claim or transfer on death to exempt the agreement

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would ask them to add the provision for the insurance claim and lemon law. Other than that, no harm in signing especially if you intend to keep. And even if not, you can still sell at a year with probably a good profit anyway.

Six months I could stomach if pushed to it. One year? F that.

What about an unforeseen life event that forces a liquidation or sale of the vehicle?

Say I buy a new truck to pull the camper and my wife dies and I no longer need/want to go camping or need the truck.

Unless there are clauses in there to cover exceptions, it's not something I would sign.

Conversely to this, what are manufacturers doing to dealers that mark up from MSRP? Nothing. They pay lip service to claim they are, but it's all BS.

UglyViking

Reaction score
So a few things. Firstly, I'd try and wait it out. Good chance this isn't part of their usual paperwork and gets missed. If they push then tell them you're concerned about potential cases that are not covered in the doc (insurance claims, sales due to potential job loss, etc.). Most likely they aren't going to write up anything without having a lawyer review it, which will cost enough that they may decide against doing it and just waive it.

Secondly, there has been some talk about manufactures doing similar, most public is the Ford GT. The huge distinction here, this isn't a manufacture, it's a dealer. Ford was able to "win" because Ford argued that they were selective about the buyers, not because they could prevent the flip. Also, to my knowledge, none of these lawsuits have resulted in an actual "win", they have all been settled out of court.

I wouldn't worry about it, just ignore the doc until it comes time to pick it up. If the dealer pushes then you can sign if you want and since the dealer doesn't have the resources to track down every single truck sold it's not like they are going to come after you. It's theater and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread