Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No diesel for Power Wagon, but why not the Hellcat engine?

firefly450

Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster here. So I am truly considering a '19 Power Wagon, while trading in my old 01 Dodge 1500 with off road package. ;)
And to go along with my 2000 Viper RT10, and 16 Hellcat Charger. Yes, I am a mopar guy too! But I was wondering, with all the talk about why the diesel
engine can't go in the Power Wagon, due to the increased weight, has anyone ever thought about dropping the 6.2 Hellcat engine in the Wagon?
I mean, the 6.4 fits in the Charger and Challenger....so why not? The new 8 speed tranny should work. Would the 4wd system
handle the power?
I know that the 1500 will get the TRX and maybe Ram does not want to steal its thunder,
but can you imagine the Hellcat engine in the Power Wagon?! It would be like have your cake and eating it too. Or eating the Raptor for dessert.
Just curious if anyone has any insight or if anyone has considered it. Thank you, Mark

jpaeth

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on the subject of the hellcat or hardcore off-roading.. just throwing that disclaimer out. But I wonder if the power curve of a forced induction engine with a slightly lower displacement would be less suited to the kind of slow, crawling technical off-road that the Power Wagon is built for. The hellcat is an impressive engine, but I think it shines when its screaming near the top end of the rev counter. In the Power Wagon you want down low grunt to crawl with authority. Again, no experience with the hellcat.. maybe its insane down low.. just a thought.

D

Deleted member 80

I'd be happy if they would at least go to Scat Pack type output with the truck 6.4.

Oosik

Reaction score
I've been four wheeling all my life. Most of it in Alaska. For REAL four wheeling you need torque - not high revving hp.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've been four wheeling all my life. Most of it in Alaska. For REAL four wheeling you need torque - not high revving hp.
There is plenty of low end tq with a supercharged 6.2….

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The TRX is built to handle the power output. It's also full time 4WD. Probably the only way the drive train can handle the power.
Dropping that much power in a stock power Wagon drive train, the next weakest link will break.
Rear axle, T case, or transmission.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
The TRX is built to handle the power output. It's also full time 4WD. Probably the only way the drive train can handle the power.
Dropping that much power in a stock power Wagon drive train, the next weakest link will break.
Rear axle, T case, or transmission.

Rear axle and t-case are the same as what's in a Cummins truck (minus the locker). It'll handle the power.

Transmission would be my worry.

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
I would imagine the Hellcat PW's gas mileage would be horendous. hopefully itll also get a larger gas tank ;)

Realisticly i think the PW could use a little more torque though

@JC

Reaction score
Ram definitely should have built the TRX on the PowerWagon instead of that crappy short box 1500. Or at least come out with a TRX option package for the PW. My PW would be traded in yesterday.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
For more smiles per gallon

No thanks, that blaring exhaust and charger whine gets old quick...definitely not worth having either to sometimes go fast faster, just my opinion.
I drove one around town for a day before buying the PW, coming from a V8 Raptor. If that TRX had the 6.4 I would have bought it.
As it happens, my buddy bought one. He saw the PW and went looking at them, got sold on that TRX.
Have driven the thing in the dirt a bit since and I'll tell you, it's no Raptor when going fast off road. Very glad I passed because the PW is growing on me.

IowaPW

Reaction score
PW trans= 8HP75
TRX trans= 8HP95
Is the transfer case different too? I recall reading/hearing something about the overall crawl ratio being very high for the PWs. Didn't know if they put a different 4x4 low in the PW transfer case or not.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is the transfer case different too? I recall reading/hearing something about the overall crawl ratio being very high for the PWs. Didn't know if they put a different 4x4 low in the PW transfer case or not.
Very different. TRX uses BW 48-13 full time active. All HD Rams, including power wagon, use either BW 44-46 (electronic shift) or BW 44-47 (manual shift)- both part time.

Users who are viewing this thread