Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 12v power on 7 way Trailer Plug Wiring Connector. Need Help

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I have a new 2020 Ram Longhorn CC DRW 8 Ft Box. For some reason I can't get any power/12 volt on Pin Number 4 in the 7 way trailer connectors. All the other pins are active and working normally.

I have checked both the bumper and bed connectors. I have checked them both with the truck running and turned off.

I have checked the fuse box by the drivers side battery (I had to press all the fuses in further as they were barely pushed into slots) and can't find a fuse labeled for that. Still no 12 volts on pin 4.

I called 2 different Ram Service Departments, Ha Ha... and I am getting 2 different answers... 1) Vehicle hasn't been flashed to give me that feature.. 2) That feature isn't available... I think they are on something and don't want to share....

If you have any suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. And Yes, I do know the plug on the bumper is upside down before anyone asks.

Below are some pictures of the lid to my fuse box lid (Sorry about the camera flash, I couldn't get a good picture in one try)
Edited:
BTW, I do have the 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Group (AHU) and Towing Technology Group (AAN) and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitors TTPMS (XG9) and Trailer Camera Wiring (XFQ) options on this truck.

Attachments

• 20200429_120944.jpg
    20200429_120944.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200429_120937.jpg
    20200429_120937.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200429_120912.jpg
    20200429_120912.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 7 Way Diagram,.jpg
    7 Way Diagram,.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I was poking in my socket the other day and my #4 was hot with truck off. 2019 2500 but I do have towing/tech group but if it’s got a plug it should have 7 prongs working!

news4us

Reaction score
Just checked me limited and it looks like the plug is 180 deg off according to ur print. 1 ie grd is on top right on my truck. Had truck on acc and had voltage on trailer #4. Hope this helpd.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Just checked me limited and it looks like the plug is 180 deg off according to ur print. 1 ie grd is on top right on my truck. Had truck on acc and had voltage on trailer #4. Hope this helpd.
Thanks, I guess it looks like I must have a problem thn or a blown fuse that I can't find. I'm going to head to my dealer and see if I can round some one up sown there. Thanks again.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
UPDATE :

I think I found my problem. Blown Fuses.
F30 -TRLR TOW - 30 Amp Macro Case Fuse (Slow Blow). Difficult to find. - Both dealers are out and still working to find/purchase a multi amp package.
F81 -TRLR TOW RT TURN/TAIL - 20 Amp Macro Fuse. Going to order a multi amp package of these as well.

BTW, Everyone needs to check their fuses to make sure they are seated all the way in the fuse block. Mine were just barely pushed in.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I wonder what would cause fuses to blow on a new truck? Could it have been caused by a trailer you had attached? Weird !

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Because I had seen it here, first thing I did when I got the truck home was press in all those fuses.

Everyone laughed when I bought extra fuses...

Also, if you're pulling an RV, makes sure you have converter fuses (usually 35-40A ATC) and are spared up on landing leg system fuses if you have them. Mine takes 35A MAXI fuses which can be hard to find. I end up ordering a lot of my stuff on Mouser or Digikey when Amazon is OOS. Most hydraulic rigs will have auto reset breakers, but those break down or are undersized.

carlrx7

Reaction score
UPDATE :
BTW, Everyone needs to check their fuses to make sure they are seated all the way in the fuse block. Mine were just barely pushed in.

Yup, I pushed all mine down during my inspection. Sales man was like WTF! why are they all like this?

Igot2go

Reaction score
I have a new 2020 Ram Longhorn CC DRW 8 Ft Box. For some reason I can't get any power/12 volt on Pin Number 4 in the 7 way trailer connectors. All the other pins are active and working normally.

I have checked both the bumper and bed connectors. I have checked them both with the truck running and turned off.

I have checked the fuse box by the drivers side battery (I had to press all the fuses in further as they were barely pushed into slots) and can't find a fuse labeled for that. Still no 12 volts on pin 4.

I called 2 different Ram Service Departments, Ha Ha... and I am getting 2 different answers... 1) Vehicle hasn't been flashed to give me that feature.. 2) That feature isn't available... I think they are on something and don't want to share....

If you have any suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. And Yes, I do know the plug on the bumper is upside down before anyone asks.

Below are some pictures of the lid to my fuse box lid (Sorry about the camera flash, I couldn't get a good picture in one try)
Edited:
BTW, I do have the 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Group (AHU) and Towing Technology Group (AAN) and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitors TTPMS (XG9) and Trailer Camera Wiring (XFQ) options on this truck.

Igot2go

Reaction score
I have no power on either bumper or bed plug but my fuses are good I know that at one time I was able to power my trailer lights interior and flood but not now

Igot2go

Reaction score
Is that switching out the 10amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffn

Reaction score
Because I had seen it here, first thing I did when I got the truck home was press in all those fuses.

Everyone laughed when I bought extra fuses...

Also, if you're pulling an RV, makes sure you have converter fuses (usually 35-40A ATC) and are spared up on landing leg system fuses if you have them. Mine takes 35A MAXI fuses which can be hard to find. I end up ordering a lot of my stuff on Mouser or Digikey when Amazon is OOS. Most hydraulic rigs will have auto reset breakers, but those break down or are undersized.
I laughed, then this morning I opened my fuse box and almost all of the fuses were half-seated.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I laughed, then this morning I opened my fuse box and almost all of the fuses were half-seated.
Fyi, that link is for mcase fuses, none of which fit our trucks.

Im working on a detailed chart but they're primarily FMM, micro2, and low profile jcase, which I think bussmax calls FMX. still checking...

Sent from my work avoidance device

Last edited:

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
Not to bring up old thread but I'm going through this same issue. Is there a way to tell if the lil purple fuse at location #30 is bad? Are they really that hard to find? Brutal did you ever finish checking into whatever you were checking? I sure could use the insight.

Users who are viewing this thread