Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night Edition vs. Sport Package

jm888

Reaction score
Just trying to compare and decide between these two packages for a Big Horn and figure out if the Night Edition is worth the extra $1500 or so. They appear to both have painted bumpers, but the Night Edition has a black grill and blacked out logos, etc. in addition to 20" wheels., right? Am I missing anything else significant? Is the grill on the Sport Package chrome or painted? How does these painted bumpers hold up to rock chips, etc.?

whitexc

Reaction score
I am a little worried about the durability of the painted bumpers on my night edition order. I will look into a protective film of some sort. That said I like the package better than the sport. You get some black interior bits, the badges on the exterior, grille, 20's and probably something else. I guess you have to weigh how much you want what. Are you ordering? How long will you have this truck? It's pennies in the long run to get what you want.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lary0071

Reaction score
My Sport/Off-Road has a black grill with a stainless or satin chromed set of bars and emblem.
I think it looks fine. The bed stickers do not bother me at all.

Attachments

• 20200324_181213.jpg
    20200324_181213.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 70
  • AVS 25614 Hood Deflector 1.jpg
    AVS 25614 Hood Deflector 1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 67
  • AVS 25614 Hood Deflector 2.jpg
    AVS 25614 Hood Deflector 2.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 70
  • HAVOC HS3 Stainless Steps drivers.jpg
    HAVOC HS3 Stainless Steps drivers.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 66

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
The lights and lack of chrome were enough to sell me on the Night Edition over the Sport.

As for the painted bumper - I decided that if at some point down the road it hasn't survived (road rash, deer, elk, etc...) I'll replace it with a more substantial powder coated aftermarket bumper.

jm888

Reaction score
I am a little worried about the durability of the painted bumpers on my night edition order. I will look into a protective film of some sort. That said I like the package better than the sport. You get some black interior bits, the badges on the exterior, grille, 20's and probably something else. I guess you have to weigh how much you want what. Are you ordering? How long will you have this truck? It's pennies in the long run to get what you want.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
That's a great point. I do plan on ordering and keeping this forever so spread out over 10 or 15 years, even an extra $5k or more is not that much. I like the black wheels now but hope I will still like them in 10 years and not wish I had polished and hope they are not too rough of a ride compared to 18s but overall, I think the Night Edition does stand out more to me when I first see it. Especially with the granite crystal color.

THC1

Reaction score
That's a great point. I do plan on ordering and keeping this forever so spread out over 10 or 15 years, even an extra $5k or more is not that much. I like the black wheels now but hope I will still like them in 10 years and not wish I had polished and hope they are not too rough of a ride compared to 18s but overall, I think the Night Edition does stand out more to me when I first see it. Especially with the granite crystal color.
I ordered a night edition in granite crystal......truck is due any day. I have off road side steps, front Thuren leveling springs and tuned shocks in the garage, Timber Grove air bags for the rear (tow a 35' TT), window vent rain guards, husky floor liners and mats and some 35" Terra Grapplers sitting at the tire shop waiting for truck delivery. First brand new truck I've ever bought so I splurged a little including a sun roof but passed on the 12" screen.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I went to quite an effort to convert my Lone Star to the Night Edition outward appearance. Since my truck was purchased used, this was the route I had to take. No-brainer if I was buying a new truck. Night Edition FTW. The lights alone are worth the $1500 to me.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just trying to compare and decide between these two packages for a Big Horn and figure out if the Night Edition is worth the extra $1500 or so. They appear to both have painted bumpers, but the Night Edition has a black grill and blacked out logos, etc. in addition to 20" wheels., right? Am I missing anything else significant? Is the grill on the Sport Package chrome or painted? How does these painted bumpers hold up to rock chips, etc.?

I believe Chrome vs black grill on Sport depends on trim level. Looks like Limited no longer has it available.

Laramie with Sport:
1618509329930.png

jm888

Reaction score
Laramie Sport here. Night wasn't available on non-black in 19.

Grill Insert, badging, and tow mirrors are chrome. Headlights are chrome I guess, but flows well with Insert. Wheels are 18" chrome/polished. Bumper and grill surround are painted. Interior above the beltline is also black, big bonus IMO.

I love the Night Ed, but my only complaint on this sport is the mirrors.

Sport Decal peeled off super easy the day after I brought it home.
I guess the black interior is what I am not understanding. It looks like you can choose a black interior on a build without the Night Package, so it there just something else that is black inside?

Will_T

Reaction score
sport sticker looks dumb
Night edition is sexy as hell
Yes but sticker comes off clean and easy according to some who have removed it.

I ended up just ordering the Sport and got the black interior. Looks like my truck will have the black surround but chrome grill but I have not seen it yet. If the chrome mirror tops bother me too much I can try Hyperdip I guess. I just decided right before the Night Edition check box that I had to stop adding options someplace! ;)

Jackb60

Reaction score
I guess the black interior is what I am not understanding. It looks like you can choose a black interior on a build without the Night Package, so it there just something else that is black inside?
I have the Sport and peeled the stickers off day one. I believe the difference is the Sport has the black headliner.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Once you go black........... The headlights and tail lights are much better looking on the Night Edition IMO. Many people have gone to the expense of changing out their standard lights for them. I didn't care about the wheels as I knew I would be replacing them. They are sitting in the garage waiting to be sold. On my sticker, aside from the black accents, the following was also added under the NE for the Laramie:
Power Folding Black Trailer–Tow Mirrors w/ Memory
Mirror–Mounted Auxiliary Reverse Lamps

I just liked the Bad Assery of it all. My wife did too so that sold it.

Users who are viewing this thread