Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nexen Tires (factory installed)

DepotsNutz

Reaction score
30K on the 3500 (10k towing a 17,250lb trailer) and my front tires suffered from belt separation already. Are y'all finding this normal? Ditched those trash for some Michelins, hope they fare better.

jenninr

Reaction score
Had the same problem with both fronts. One at 10k and the other at 12k. The Nexens are trash.

jenninr

Reaction score
My rears were worn out by 17k but the truck pulls about 17k 95% of the time

Bcrouse

Reaction score
30K on the 3500 (10k towing a 17,250lb trailer) and my front tires suffered from belt separation already. Are y'all finding this normal? Ditched those trash for some Michelins, hope they fare better.
Were they rotated?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My 07 C&C came with General tires, had vibrations I never found, until I changed out to Michelins. Dump the Nexens, Michelins are far superior than Nexens. I can't figure out why you pay 80 to 90K dollars for junk tires. My 3500 SRW came with Firestone Transforce tires, and after three flats, one left me in the middle of the desert and AAA wouldn't show, :mad: the first thing I did was switch to Michelins Defenders LTX M/S tires when I got home. I even found Michelins, although its the passenger tire version, for my wife's Highlander. Big difference in handling, as well as better quality and longer life.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
It could also be load related. Have you gone on a CAT scale while fully loaded?

The tires are rated for:
3085 single
2835 in a dual

Front tires - 6170
Rear dual tire - 11340

If you are exceeding 6170 on that front axle you might get some odd wear patterns.

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
I'm nearing 25,000 miles on my C&C and the Nexen fronts are noticeably wearing on the outside. The rear DW look nearly new though. Truck spends most of it's time unloaded, so vastly different weight loading on the tires from front vs back. Alignment has been checked, so I think it's just the weight of the front end and cornering of my regular commute which is wearing them down.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It could be load related, but it's absolutely junk tire related. Sad for what we spend on new trucks and can't get an upgraded tire option.

My dually tires aren't impressing me with treadwear. And all the separated tire issues at low mileage concern me as well. Seriously doubt these tires will see 20k on my truck, one way or the other.

DepotsNutz

Reaction score
It could also be load related. Have you gone on a CAT scale while fully loaded?

The tires are rated for:
3085 single
2835 in a dual

Front tires - 6170
Rear dual tire - 11340

If you are exceeding 6170 on that front axle you might get some odd wear patterns.
Steer axle was 5520# with trailer attached.

DepotsNutz

Reaction score
I'm nearing 25,000 miles on my C&C and the Nexen fronts are noticeably wearing on the outside. The rear DW look nearly new though. Truck spends most of it's time unloaded, so vastly different weight loading on the tires from front vs back. Alignment has been checked, so I think it's just the weight of the front end and cornering of my regular commute which is wearing them down.
Exactly how mine were worn, but 10K of the 30K miles on them were towing a 17K trailer.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Nexxens SUCK! I had the factory Nexxens on my wifes brand new Wagoneer and had a blow out with 750 miles on them. We were 30 minutes into a 10 hour drive. Never again.

Reaction score
My OEM Nexans were toast by 17k miles, fronts were gone gone and real duals were less than 40%, with 2k miles of towning

Rick S

Reaction score
When a limestone rock penetrates the center of a new tire. They are not good. NEXON tire are not a good tire. Anything would be better.

neutroniens

Reaction score
I drove from the dealer straight to the tire shop to order new tires. the day I picked up my new truck. Seems like a waist of money but why ride around on low level tires.

se1096

Reaction score
Had the same issue at 19000 miles. Front tire shreaded the day after pulling my 5th wheel. Nothing to do with the load, my 5th wheel is 15K and tire pressure were correct. No signs of wear on any of them and then boom. Went to discount tire the next day and replaced them all

Firebird

Reaction score
Had the same issue at 19000 miles. Front tire shreaded the day after pulling my 5th wheel. Nothing to do with the load, my 5th wheel is 15K and tire pressure were correct. No signs of wear on any of them and then boom. Went to discount tire the next day and replaced them all
Glad that didn't blow while towing!!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I have 15k on my nexens... Pass front is wearing the outside of the tire, all 5 others are wearing very nicely. Ive rotated the 2 fronts because of this, but the rears are staying put.

I figured id try to get 20k out of them then toss em for something nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread