Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with a question about my 2012 2500 4x4 crewcab diesel.

Scooterpilot

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I ordered a 2021 , 3500 bighorn, crew cab 4x4 shortbed Diesel HO. Shipment is scheduled for 23 December 2020 and it should arrive in mid January, if all goes well. Presently, I own a 2012 Ram 2500, Crewcab 4x4, short bed diesel. It will have 75K miles on it at the beginning of February. I'm trying to determine what the resale value will be for it. It's in good shape, oil changed every 5k, trans and transfer case oil changed, diff fluid changed, brake and power steering fluids flushed, egr cooler serviced, new brakes at 68K and body is in good shape. Its a Bighorn model. Would it be better to sell it private party or just trade it in for the new truck? Has the value of pre DEF trucks gone up?

Thanks,

Chuck

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you'll get more with a private sale, but loose out on the tax delta by trading in, especially if it's paid off.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Pre-def and pre-emissions truck values are up.

I sold my 04.5 5.9L pre-emissions 2500 QCLB 4x4 with 72K miles for $20K and it needed a few things. Still kicking myself... However, dealers don't give fair value on older vehicles so the tax savings wouldn't have been much at all.

As indicated, you need to weight the difference between realistic private sale price and tax savings on a trade.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Your profile doesn't say what state you are from. Keep in mind, some states (like Kalifornia) do not offset your tax owed on a new purchase when trading in a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread