Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ZF trans for 2023?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I… I can’t even remember what we were talking about anymore.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Best…. Couple….. Thread…. Pages…. Ever!!!

BAT3500

Reaction score
Judging from my previous EcoDiesel, if it's up to the task i think the ZF would really shine and give Ram the clear edge over the competitors just from the better gear spacing and smoother shifting compared to either of the HD trany options. And a bonus if the final drive ratio was a bit higher to keep hwy cruising rpms down more.

My current truck with 4:10's and aisin pulls absolutely great but needs about 2k rpm to cruise a 70. The previous 3.73 truck with the 68 struggled a bit on grades with the same loads. Both HD transmissions are sometimes harsh shifting whereas i hardly noticed the zf shifting.

The big downside was the ZF was nearly impossible to service with no easy way to check fluid levels. This issue would definitely need to be rethunk.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My current truck with 4:10's and aisin pulls absolutely great but needs about 2k rpm to cruise a 70. The previous 3.73 truck with the 68 struggled a bit on grades with the same loads. Both HD transmissions are sometimes harsh shifting whereas i hardly noticed the zf shifting.

Unless you were way overloading your truck or trying to race up steep grades there is no way your 68rfe struggled going up grades and even with 10 speeds the 410 truck would be screaming… the ford 7.3 needs 4.30 gears and a 10speed to do what the 6.4 hemi can do with 8 gears and 4.10s keep that in mind

BAT3500

Reaction score
I-35, I-40, 287 north TX and OK all have their share of rather modest but long grades. With 3.73's and 68rfe most case could not hold speed, even after downshifting. I am talking dropping 10+mph too, not just a couple of mph. With 4:10s typically can typically hold speed with ease.

To their credit i have never seen either transmission overheat even in the recent heat wave

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hemi POWA!!!
I wasn’t towing “heavy”, but my Hemi never had trouble doing 70+ up the passes in CO with my 31’ Airstream and 1000# of stuff in the bed! It did rev for it though, no denying that!

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Judging from my previous EcoDiesel, if it's up to the task i think the ZF would really shine and give Ram the clear edge over the competitors just from the better gear spacing and smoother shifting compared to either of the HD trany options. And a bonus if the final drive ratio was a bit higher to keep hwy cruising rpms down more.

The big downside was the ZF was nearly impossible to service with no easy way to check fluid levels. This issue would definitely need to be rethunk.
If they kept the gearing the same as the 6.4 8HP, then the axle ratio would actually have to go to a 3.55 to keep the final drive the same.

The ZF isn't impossible to service, the packaging in the 1500's certainly didn't make it any easier though. Yes, changing the filter requires replacing the whole pan assembly and I believe there are aftermarket options out there that allow just the filter to be replaced. There's a simple fill plug on the side of the trans.
The way that many people and manufacturers operate nowadays...I doubt that will change.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I would think that Asian would build a 8 or 10 speed to be able to keep supplying transmissions for Ram.

Riccochet

Reaction score

It's not hard to service. At least doing a pan drop for filter and fluid. The process of refilling it takes some time, but it's not complicated. And once it's filled properly there is no need to check the level. It's either leaking fluid or it is not. My only suggestion is to use genuine ZF pan/filter and lifeguard fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread