Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to diesel truck living.

Rickduu

Reaction score
I’m new to having a diesel truck and what kind of maintenance practices are best. For starters which DEF is most recommended for 2022 3500 HO? I’ve been on YouTube and google with most saying to use Valvoline or DEF blue.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
UREA = UREA.. Platinum DEF has some great marketing. Change your oil and fuel filters on time and try your best not to run the truck on the red for fuel level, top up around quarter tank is best practice. Learn to do some maintenance yourself and you will get to know your truck a lot better and you will realize these things are not as difficult to work on as one may expect.

Oh and don't forget, as a Ram HD driver, tailgate people in the slow lane that are going well above the speed limit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've run several kinds of DEF including the cheapest Walmart DEF for 2 years with zero issues.

Just make sure if you buy it in jugs, it's sealed. We've seen one report of a DEF system failure that was traced back to a returned jug of Walmart DEF that was just tap water. I guess luckily the owner held onto the empty jug after filling.

Millmutt

Reaction score
I have always filled my DEF at the pump, never had an issue other than the pumps won’t dispense in real cold temps, I was told they shut off automatically somewhere in the mid 20s temperature

Users who are viewing this thread