Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recall 11/10/2022 for the 68RFE ** UPDATED INFO IN 1ST POST **

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Was recently told by service writer that....there will be another "recall" to address this issue since the current recall remedy is just a band-aid on the problem...

I was checking where I was in line (six in front of me) - was almost like they telling me without telling me to wait on the first "fix"

not sure how accurate that is but sounds about right, a recall requiring a locking plug means that they expect pressure to still be an issue...

anybody else heard the same?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Was recently told by service writer that....there will be another "recall" to address this issue since the current recall remedy is just a band-aid on the problem...

I was checking where I was in line (six in front of me) - was almost like they telling me without telling me to wait on the first "fix"

not sure how accurate that is but sounds about right, a recall requiring a locking plug means that they expect pressure to still be an issue...

The vent fixes the issue the dipstick lock is a backup incase the vent gets plugged for some strange reason. The issue was the old vent being right against the case of the trans it can get plugged with dirt that lands on the transmission case easy enough. Now that is not possible as the vent is extended away from the transmission case.

NEVER listen to service writers they rarely have any clue whats going on and tell people what they want to hear. Think of them as mechanics secretary's as thats about all they are. Service managers are only slightly better but still rarely have a clue either

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The vent fixes the issue the dipstick lock is a backup incase the vent gets plugged for some strange reason. The issue was the old vent being right against the case of the trans it can get plugged with dirt that lands on the transmission case easy enough. Now that is not possible as the vent is extended away from the transmission case.

NEVER listen to service writers they rarely have any clue whats going on and tell people what they want to hear. Think of them as mechanics secretary's as thats about all they are. Service managers are only slightly better but still rarely have a clue either

My oldest moved from Audi Master Technician*/team lead to Service Writer to becoming a Mercedes Master Tech, then service writer for them, finally landed as a Service Manager at VW. Exception? Maybe.

If you said that to him, he would straight up laugh in your face.

* He also won several local and regional "technician olympics" and made it to nationals one year before deciding to move on.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My oldest moved from Audi Master Technician*/team lead to Service Writer to becoming a Mercedes Master Tech, then service writer for them, finally landed as a Service Manager at VW. Exception? Maybe.

If you said that to him, he would straight up laugh in your face.

* He also won several local and regional "technician olympics" and made it to nationals one year before deciding to move on.
So he is the exception. There are some good ones of course and it sounds like your young lad is a good one unfortunately thats rare

Most are not qualified as such even the job postings only require grade 12 or GED as a requirement…

Hell when i worked at the dealerships mind you it was many years ago they were usually the ones that caused more issues telling customers things they pulled out of their a** also seen a couple drive vehicles off the 4 post hoists lol

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

It won’t be another recall, but there will be a Customer Satisfaction Notification for a 44” locking dipstick when they have them ready. This recall uses the 15” locking dipstick because it was a readily available item. If they would not have used what was available at the time, and waited for the 44” locking dipsticks to be ready to release the recall, then everyone would be crying about how long it’s taking for them to get parts for the recall. So, Ram is literally damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

Jay P

Reaction score
It won’t be another recall, but there will be a Customer Satisfaction Notification for a 44” locking dipstick when they have them ready. This recall uses the 15” locking dipstick because it was a readily available item. If they would not have used what was available at the time, and waited for the 44” locking dipsticks to be ready to release the recall, then everyone would be crying about how long it’s taking for them to get parts for the recall. So, Ram is literally damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.
If they would have put that info out from day one they would have avoided the PR issues they created with the recall.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Jay P

Reaction score
The recall notice I got was released in Nov and doesn't say anything about a 44" locking dipstick available later. The service manager (and service writers/mechanics) at my local dealer weren't happy either. They have been getting an ear full about loosing the ability to check fluid levels without keeping the original dipstick. The issue is with some idiot at corp FCA, not anyone here or at the dealer level.

Attachments

• ZA3.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 19

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The recall notice I got was released in Nov and doesn't say anything about a 44" locking dipstick available later. The service manager (and service writers/mechanics) at my local dealer weren't happy either. They have been getting an ear full about loosing the ability to check fluid levels without keeping the original dipstick. The issue is with some idiot at corp FCA, not anyone here or at the dealer level.
It could be the dealers not reading the recall info they have…

flan

Reaction score
I see the new tube has a rib for better hold on the lock if thats all seems like kind of a waste but i guess they are really covering their butts
Yea way to go Stellantis haha

Reaction score
I wonder if it's still the separator plate like the earlier recall or if this one is related to the stupid TBV getting stuck. It still amazes me that they haven't fixed some of those basic weak points in the 68RFE. It can be a good tranny with a better built valve body and keeping the fluid cooler/fresh when operated in a sane manner, but man they really must like it being the weak point behind the cummins lol. Best thing you can do for now is watch your tranny temps until the recall gets performed/more details are released.

A Revmax VB and the PPE TBV delete/flat bottom pan/filter with steel nipple have been on my list of "reliability" upgrades for mine when its due for service since I do plan on keeping this one for a good while. I guess for now I'll wait until I get my recall done or at-least until more details are released.

Edit* Mine is showing as well. Since I have an appointment for the PCM recall today I'll ask the dealer about it to see if they hknow anything.
Just logged in to the Mopar site and saw this. I just got my truck a week ago today, and it wasn't there then.

Recall date November 10, 2022
FCA Recall ZA3
NHTSA Recall 22V-835
Recall Status Incomplete but repair parts are not available

Some 2020-2022 MY Ram 3500 trucks equipped with the Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine and 68RFE transmission ("68RFE") may experience transmission fluid expelling from the dipstick tube, which may come into contact with an ignition source within the engine compartment. In certain circumstances, a build up of pressure and heat inside the transmission may result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment and lead to a vehicle fire.
How do you find the build date of vehicle ?

Razzman

Reaction score
Mine was done yesterday, new dipstick tube and a full length locking dipstick.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Mine was done yesterday, new dipstick tube and a full length locking dipstick.

Nice glad I'm still waiting until mine shows "parts avail" for the grid heater relay so I can get in line for it all at once. Since my local dealer has a waiting list hopefully I'll get the full length dipstick and I'll just hold onto my modified suncoast just incase.

DougB

Reaction score
Got the 68RFE dipstick recall done this week. Have the long, locking dipstick now.

Here are the parts listed on invoice:

CSSPZA31AB Indicator - transmission fluid level
CSSPZA32AA Tube-vent
CSSPZA33AA Grommet

Users who are viewing this thread