Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recall 11/10/2022 for the 68RFE ** UPDATED INFO IN 1ST POST **

KCWildGuy

Reaction score
Just logged in to the Mopar site and saw this. I just got my truck a week ago today, and it wasn't there then.

Recall date November 10, 2022
FCA Recall ZA3
NHTSA Recall 22V-835
Recall Status Incomplete but repair parts are not available

Some 2020-2022 MY Ram 3500 trucks equipped with the Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine and 68RFE transmission ("68RFE") may experience transmission fluid expelling from the dipstick tube, which may come into contact with an ignition source within the engine compartment. In certain circumstances, a build up of pressure and heat inside the transmission may result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment and lead to a vehicle fire.

[MOD UPDATE:] A Customer Satisfaction update to the original Recall replaces the dipstick and tube with the following parts:
  • CSSPZA31AB Indicator - transmission fluid level (locking)
  • CSSPZA32AA Tube-vent
  • CSSPZA33AA Grommet

Last edited by a moderator:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I wonder if it's still the separator plate like the earlier recall or if this one is related to the stupid TBV getting stuck. It still amazes me that they haven't fixed some of those basic weak points in the 68RFE. It can be a good tranny with a better built valve body and keeping the fluid cooler/fresh when operated in a sane manner, but man they really must like it being the weak point behind the cummins lol. Best thing you can do for now is watch your tranny temps until the recall gets performed/more details are released.

A Revmax VB and the PPE TBV delete/flat bottom pan/filter with steel nipple have been on my list of "reliability" upgrades for mine when its due for service since I do plan on keeping this one for a good while. I guess for now I'll wait until I get my recall done or at-least until more details are released.

Edit* Mine is showing as well. Since I have an appointment for the PCM recall today I'll ask the dealer about it to see if they know anything.

eafd22

Reaction score
I also received inside info from my brother who works for case/IH/fiat/Chrysler

Cummins-equipped Ram HD trucks have a major new recall to deal with.

Stellantis issued a new fire-related recall for their 2020-2023 Ram HD trucks with the standard output 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel and the 68RFE transmission. This latest campaign affects approximately 248,342 Ram 2500 and 3500 models in the United States.

According to the automaker’s statement to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), certain 2020-2023 model year trucks could experience transmission expelling from the transmission dipstick tube due to excess heat and pressure. If that happens and the leaking fluid comes into contact with an ignition source, it could start a fire.

This latest Ram recall campaign affects the following populations:

· 2020-2023 Ram 2500: 199,377 units built between September 4, 2019 and November 4, 2022

· 2020-2022 Ram 3500: 48,965 units built between September 18, 2019 and November 4, 2022

Trucks outside the recall population are either not equipped with the 68RFE — as would be the case with the 6.4-liter Hemi gas V8 or the high-output Cummins with an Aisin AS69RC transmission — or were built before or after the “suspect period” wherein Stellantis believes the problem lies

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
The dealer knew nothing about it other than it is an open recall... Doesn't surprise me being a small town dealer. They just stated that the remediation is not yet available and to watch temps if its anything like the earlier RFE recall.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They already had a recall for that a few years back i wonder if its something new… my 19 had a recall for the same issue before i bought it the dealer had already done it

mountainears

Reaction score
There has to be something different. There is no reason to open a new recall for the same issue when they can expand the scope of an existing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clifford555

Reaction score
It says there are no parts available and remedy is currently being developed in the RAM app

ollicat

Reaction score
This is going to be a multi-month delay on new diesels. So sad.

Gary2920

Reaction score
Maybe they will weld the dipstick in, like the locknut on the drag link for my 18 2500.
On that drag link..if you still have the truck. I made a stink with RAM Customer Service on my newly purchased 17 and they shipped the correct part and covered the cost to repair. Tell them you are taking the truck into Mexico and you cant be assured welding equipment will be available in the event you need repairs.

eafd22

Reaction score
Your truck has the 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Trans which is not affected. They are still waiting on departure from Saltillo. And I am just as frustrated as you are. I have 7 other vehicles and customers that I am unable to do anything about and it's disheartening.

DougB

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of these Element fire extinguishers today. Keep one permanently in the truck now and another to move around to RV, car, and Jeep.

AB558DF6-7BE0-4F46-BCDA-B2AD55E06C56.jpeg

jebruns

Reaction score
On that drag link..if you still have the truck. I made a stink with RAM Customer Service on my newly purchased 17 and they shipped the correct part and covered the cost to repair. Tell them you are taking the truck into Mexico and you cant be assured welding equipment will be available in the event you need repairs.
Truck was traded on my 22, and I had the updated drag link installed.

Users who are viewing this thread