Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recall 11/10/2022 for the 68RFE ** UPDATED INFO IN 1ST POST **

rfullen280

Reaction score
Because no one gives a crap about your time.... dealerships are the worst
Very true. Just called a dealer 1 hour away - their Express Lane guys do the jobs (combined) in an hour. Scheduled. What the local dealer doesn't realize...I am willing to drive 2 hours to get this done.... that also means I'm willing to "un-refer" anyone from buying from them. "Hey, i'm thinking about buying a X from this dealer", says anyone - and my answer is "go anywhere else". Service after the sale is trash.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Probably does not make you feel better, but you are not alone. Our dealer. and some others, are the same. I recently talked to a guy in the Costco parking lot about his truck and he said he has the same experience with our dealer as me. Told that parts are scarce, and he is on the list. At least Ram does not have my phone number and I only get email and snail mail notices. The dealer is understaffed, and their service schedule is full. I think this type of warranty work is at the bottom of the list. Likely they get paid less for it than customer paying work. At least these two recalls don't seem to be critical. I have disconnected the relay for over a year now so that is not an issue. And the chance of the transmission spewing fluid under normal operating seems very low. But I am a little bit of a worrier so even though I resent having felt the need to do it, long ago once I realized our dealer did not want to do the work, I paid for a simple, overpriced hack for the transmission recall. So at least if it does overflow, it should not go onto the hot engine.
Ya looks like you tow/travel as much as me... I've been patient, now I'm just over it.

Will_T

Reaction score
Very true. Just called a dealer 1 hour away - their Express Lane guys do the jobs (combined) in an hour. Scheduled. What the local dealer doesn't realize...I am willing to drive 2 hours to get this done.... that also means I'm willing to "un-refer" anyone from buying from them. "Hey, i'm thinking about buying a X from this dealer", says anyone - and my answer is "go anywhere else". Service after the sale is trash.
You are fortunate to have a better dealer that is an hour or less away! Our local dealer is one of those that has grown huge by buying up the competition, so the next two closest dealers are also owned by the same corporation and approach things the same. If the recalls were critical, there is a dealer that in good weather is only about 1-1/2 hours away from me. I would drive the 3 hours just to avoid the local dealer if I really needed to.

rfullen280

Reaction score
You are fortunate to have a better dealer that is an hour or less away! Our local dealer is one of those that has grown huge by buying up the competition, so the next two closest dealers are also owned by the same corporation and approach things the same. If the recalls were critical, there is a dealer that in good weather is only about 1-1/2 hours away from me. I would drive the 3 hours just to avoid the local dealer if I really needed to.
True. We don't have good weather now, but I've made (and had broken) 6 appointments for this that apparently are "appointment" but first come first serve too? Which makes no sense.

Remember when ASE certification was a big deal? You'd think that a company trying to get their NHTSA recall list shrunk a little bit would allow you to take parts to an ASE mechanic (as they want all their own techs to be)... but noooo... and their "reimbursement" for previous recall work is not reliable. So, you can only get the recall parts from Ram, or you can pay out of pocket, and not get reimbursed. And if you do nothing...we're gonna call you every 2-3 months, send you mail once a month, e-mail once a month... and flag your vehicles on CarFraud (fax) and in some states, databases, as needing a recall...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
True. We don't have good weather now, but I've made (and had broken) 6 appointments for this that apparently are "appointment" but first come first serve too? Which makes no sense.

Remember when ASE certification was a big deal? You'd think that a company trying to get their NHTSA recall list shrunk a little bit would allow you to take parts to an ASE mechanic (as they want all their own techs to be)... but noooo... and their "reimbursement" for previous recall work is not reliable. So, you can only get the recall parts from Ram, or you can pay out of pocket, and not get reimbursed. And if you do nothing...we're gonna call you every 2-3 months, send you mail once a month, e-mail once a month... and flag your vehicles on CarFraud (fax) and in some states, databases, as needing a recall...

They don't tell anyone that appointment is a slot with the service writer...

Will_T

Reaction score
Well today I got an email from the service writer that they can do both this and the grid heater recall. It has been a year since the truck was in and that was just an oil change, so they have not flashed any computer updates since the one they did without asking 2+ years ago. Should I expect that there is likely one that they will want to do now? And should I know anything about it going in. I was surprised they did it a couple years ago without asking, but it did not cause any issues. I have heard and read stories though about trucks having issues sometimes when an update is done, and I have no issues with the truck now so just want to be as educated as possible when I take it in for the recalls. Thanks.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
It’s just a hardware upgrade with no programming involved for the transmission update and the grid heater relay.

Will_T

Reaction score
It’s just a hardware upgrade with no programming involved for the transmission update and the grid heater relay.
Thanks. I understand. But when they did the unexpected update last time, the truck was in for fuel and oil filters and the original relay recall. But they went ahead with a flash anyways even though the work being done did not require it. I don't know much about this stuff so they may have been bsing me but what they said when I asked after seeing it on some paperwork was this: One of them saw on the computer that an update was available for the truck so they did it to put it on the "latest and greatest". Like I said it caused no issues, but I just like to know ahead of time when something is going to be done. And I just wanted to make sure that none of you experts here had a warning for me. Sort of like this hypothetical: "You are on 2+ year old software and there have been updates since. But the latest update is causing regen issues on trucks that previously did not have them. So make sure they do not update it". I am making that up of course, but just want to be sure there is nothing like that on my truck.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Just tell them that you are there for the trans/heater relay recall and nothing else. I know some dealers do what they are going to do anyway. My last dealer was that way. They aren’t my dealer anymore. The old dealer told me since the transmission recall had already been done on my truck she didn’t know how to bill it doing the dipstick upgrade to the 44” locking dipstick and told me to call Customer Care and see what she needed to do. I called and told them to contact the dealer and when he tried it went to voicemail 3 times. He came back and told me he had a different dealer on the phone and that they would take care of it and did. I feel a lot more confident and comfortable with the new dealer and service advisor. They also scheduled and performed the Y43 recall for me.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I understand. But when they did the unexpected update last time, the truck was in for fuel and oil filters and the original relay recall. But they went ahead with a flash anyways even though the work being done did not require it. I don't know much about this stuff so they may have been bsing me but what they said when I asked after seeing it on some paperwork was this: One of them saw on the computer that an update was available for the truck so they did it to put it on the "latest and greatest". Like I said it caused no issues, but I just like to know ahead of time when something is going to be done. And I just wanted to make sure that none of you experts here had a warning for me. Sort of like this hypothetical: "You are on 2+ year old software and there have been updates since. But the latest update is causing regen issues on trucks that previously did not have them. So make sure they do not update it". I am making that up of course, but just want to be sure there is nothing like that on my truck.

In 17 years of driving HPCR Cummins trucks I’ve never had an update that wasn’t an improvement. Normally there isn’t anything wrong, but the software update is always better.

Updates that’s cause issues are not the norm. Take every free software upgrade you can get.

flan

Reaction score
In 17 years of driving HPCR Cummins trucks I’ve never had an update that wasn’t an improvement. Normally there isn’t anything wrong, but the software update is always better.

Updates that’s cause issues are not the norm. Take every free software upgrade you can get.
He beat me to it.

I’d feel perfectly comfortable going in and getting the latest and greatest. Sometimes they come out years later and are no longer under warranty.

TORE_BACK

Reaction score
The original ZA3 recall was done before I purchased my truck. I tried both my local dealerships, and they wouldn't give me the new stick. They wouldn't even check my Trans level for me while I was there. I spent 2 hours on the phone with stellantis. The first lady told me nothing they could do, and I'd have to take it back to the original location 1800 miles away. I hung up and called back. The second lady seemed more helpful but said she would call me back tomorrow with an answer. So we'll see. Anyone have the part number to buy the correct stick online i just see so many different options. And I'm unsure if the original ZA3 changed the tube length. Current tube does not have the lip inside like someone mentioned earlier. 2022 2500 6.7 bighorn.

Will_T

Reaction score
Well what a difference a service writer/advisor can make. I got both this one, and the relay recall done today. I had the most experienced and knowledgeable service writer at the dealership. Very efficient, respectful, competent, and really just the opposite of everyone else I have had to interact with there, including in their sales dept. Of course, he is also older than most of the others, been there for way longer than anyone else, and probably not too far from retirement, but I will do my best to stick with him until then for sure. I think also because of his customer service skills, long tenure there and personable nature, he likely works with the best and most experienced service techs also. Really a pleasure to deal with. That makes such a difference when you feel like you are being listened to and that the person doing the listening really knows their stuff. It really is unfortunate that many of the others there do not see the customer goodwill that can be created when things are done efficiently and well. If we could have the experience I had today whenever the dealer is needed for service or warranty work, there would be no complaints.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The original ZA3 recall was done before I purchased my truck. I tried both my local dealerships, and they wouldn't give me the new stick. They wouldn't even check my Trans level for me while I was there. I spent 2 hours on the phone with stellantis. The first lady told me nothing they could do, and I'd have to take it back to the original location 1800 miles away. I hung up and called back. The second lady seemed more helpful but said she would call me back tomorrow with an answer. So we'll see. Anyone have the part number to buy the correct stick online i just see so many different options. And I'm unsure if the original ZA3 changed the tube length. Current tube does not have the lip inside like someone mentioned earlier. 2022 2500 6.7 bighorn.
Did you call (800)334-9200 ? Dealer told me to call that number and find out how they were supposed to charge out for the long locking dipstick since it showed that the recall had already been done in 22’ while it was still on the lot. I told the person who answered to call the dealer and tell them how and he couldn’t get them to answer the phone. I told him that had been my experience also so he called a different dealer and they said have it here tomorrow and he would take care of it. I did and he did. They are now my new go to. They didn’t change the dipstick tube but it’s a chore to get the locking stick out after unlocking it. Have to wiggle it around and pull at the same time and it reads exactly the same as the original long dipstick.
CSSPZA31AB Indicator is the number for the long locking dipstick.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Well what a difference a service writer/advisor can make. I got both this one, and the relay recall done today. I had the most experienced and knowledgeable service writer at the dealership. Very efficient, respectful, competent, and really just the opposite of everyone else I have had to interact with there, including in their sales dept. Of course, he is also older than most of the others, been there for way longer than anyone else, and probably not too far from retirement, but I will do my best to stick with him until then for sure. I think also because of his customer service skills, long tenure there and personable nature, he likely works with the best and most experienced service techs also. Really a pleasure to deal with. That makes such a difference when you feel like you are being listened to and that the person doing the listening really knows their stuff. It really is unfortunate that many of the others there do not see the customer goodwill that can be created when things are done efficiently and well. If we could have the experience I had today whenever the dealer is needed for service or warranty work, there would be no complaints.
I had a similar experience after calling Customer Care and being directed to a different dealer. The new dealer also performed the Y43 recall on my truck. I’m currently caught up on recalls for the moment.
I was apprehensive about going to a different dealer than the one I bought it from but the dealer I went to said he was glad I brought it to them. He said he had a dozen from the other dealer the week before because the other dealer wouldn’t fix different things or return calls. When I walked into the new dealer they treated me like I was trying to buy a vehicle and not just trying to get it worked on.

Last edited:

TORE_BACK

Reaction score
Did you call (800)334-9200 ? Dealer told me to call that number and find out how they were supposed to charge out for the long locking dipstick since it showed that the recall had already been done in 22’ while it was still on the lot. I told the person who answered to call the dealer and tell them how and he couldn’t get them to answer the phone. I told him that had been my experience also so he called a different dealer and they said have it here tomorrow and he would take care of it. I did and he did. They are now my new go to. They didn’t change the dipstick tube but it’s a chore to get the locking stick out after unlocking it. Have to wiggle it around and pull at the same time and it reads exactly the same as the original long dipstick.
CSSPZA31AB Indicator is the number for the long locking dipstick.
Thanks I'll try that number. I called the number they gave me for stellantis 1 800 992 1997. Ya so the csspza31ab is the number but it's associated with the recall so they are not allowed to sell it. Finally at the end I asked the parts guy. What if I lost my dipstick and just need a replacement. He said "well ya I can order that". I told him to get it coming incase I can't get the recall figured out. As far as i can tell it is part number 53032964AI. Same thing as the csspza31ab with a different barcode sticker on it.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Thanks I'll try that number. I called the number they gave me for stellantis 1 800 992 1997. Ya so the csspza31ab is the number but it's associated with the recall so they are not allowed to sell it. Finally at the end I asked the parts guy. What if I lost my dipstick and just need a replacement. He said "well ya I can order that". I told him to get it coming incase I can't get the recall figured out. As far as i can tell it is part number 53032964AI. Same thing as the csspza31ab with a different barcode sticker on it.
Yeah the number you posted is connected with the dipstick. The phone number I gave you was given to me by the dealer. I don’t know if it’s a dealership thing or a communication problem but it was taken care of by calling that number and going to a different dealer. I’m fortunate enough to be halfway between the two dealerships.

Last edited:

TORE_BACK

Reaction score
Ended up just paying out of pocket for new stick and tube. Just to clarify. Are the tube's the same length. Or do I need to install the new tube to get an accurate reading.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I assume they are the same length since the dipsticks are.

Did you check to see if you had the new style transmission vent?

Last edited:

TORE_BACK

Reaction score
I assume they are the same length since the dipsticks are.

Did you check to see if you had the new style transmission vent?
Ya they were identical length. Ended up just putting the new tube in to check. Only difference is the bead roll at the top for the locking stick. I tried looking at the vent. It comes off the top side of the trans heading towards the driver side then 90's towards the front of the truck and is zip tied to a wire harness. Does this sound like the new vent. I'm trying to find the pictures of the two different styles right now.

Users who are viewing this thread