Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram

se1096

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2020 3500 Diesel dually Lone Star. Had F150's for years now and couldn't justify the cost for the F350. One thing I am having a hard time finding is the true 5th wheel towing capacity of this truck. The Ford's towing charts show for conventional, 5th wheel, and gooseneck and the Ram only shows one of 19,600. Surely this truck is not maxed out at 19K#'s. My payload is 5572

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Use the VIN search for cargo and tow capacity. With cargo cap of 5572 there’s not too many 5ers that it won’t tow. Find the pin weight for the specific model trailer and deduct it from cargo cap and what you have left over is how much you can carry in the truck. Tow capacity is what it is, based on engine and gearing, 3.73 vs 4.10.

se1096

Reaction score
That tells me max towing is 19872. That has to be conventional. The Ford F350 conventional towing is 21K and about 27K for 5th wheel.
Mine has 3.73 gears and is not the HO with AISN transmission. I know I am well within my limits with PIn weight. If I take the pin weight of 20%, that puts me at 3200# for pin weight, leaving me 2372 for payload. I would assume that 5th wheel towing should be in the 20K #'s.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Here's the pdf that I use that has them all in there. Hope it helps

Attachments

• Ram_HD 3500 D2_Trailer Tow Weight Chart_MY20 (1).pdf
    474.8 KB · Views: 16

se1096

Reaction score
Here's the pdf that I use that has them all in there. Hope it helps
It still shows 19680 as max tow. That is all I ever find and that cannot be for a 5th wheel. either that or I am reading something wrong.
I appreciate everyone's responses

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
It still shows 19680 as max tow. That is all I ever find and that cannot be for a 5th wheel. either that or I am reading something wrong.
I appreciate everyone's responses
Is yours a 6.7 drw 3500 lone star rfe . Long bed
4x4 or not ?
Standard, crew, or mega cab ?

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
19680 it is. That's the difference between choosing the rfe tranny vs the ho aisin. It's a big difference I know. When it shows max trailer weight, that's for any trailer. Doesn't matter if it's conventional, goose, or fiver, 19,680 is 19,680. Higher hp and a tq match up would give you higher numbers. The rfe is not rated for HUGE numbers. You would of actually gained allot more trailer weight if you would of got the srw with the aisin, if you didn't need a huge pl capacity that is. All the trailer style difference does is change how the weight is distributed on to the tow vehicle, has nothing to do with how much hp or tq you need. The weight determines how much hp and tq you need. Hope that explanation helps some.
Screenshot_20200719-190714.png

MEGA HO

Reaction score
19680 it is. That's the difference between choosing the rfe tranny vs the ho aisin. It's a big difference I know. When it shows max trailer weight, that's for any trailer. Doesn't matter if it's conventional, goose, or fiver, 19,680 is 19,680. Higher hp and a tq match up would give you higher numbers. The rfe is not rated for HUGE numbers. You would of actually gained allot more trailer weight if you would of got the srw with the aisin, if you didn't need a huge pl capacity that is. All the trailer style difference does is change how the weight is distributed on to the tow vehicle, has nothing to do with how much hp or tq you need. The weight determines how much hp and tq you need. Hope that explanation helps some.
You're right. Mine is a 3500 HO SRW and my max tow is just over 24,000 lbs while the payload is just a bit under 3900 lbs. I believe the HP and Tq are not the reason for the lower tow numbers on SO trucks, it is the tranny that is the problem. Look at the previous gen trucks, SO trucks have virtually the same tow numbers and we know the HP and TQ were even lower then.

se1096

Reaction score
You're right. Mine is a 3500 HO SRW and my max tow is just over 24,000 lbs while the payload is just a bit under 3900 lbs. I believe the HP and Tq are not the reason for the lower tow numbers on SO trucks, it is the tranny that is the problem. Look at the previous gen trucks, SO trucks have virtually the same tow numbers and we know the HP and TQ were even lower then.
I'm sure I will still be OK. The 5th wheel we are looking at is just under 13K dry weight with 2600 payload. so about 16K total weight. I will never travel with water in the tanks.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I will still be OK. The 5th wheel we are looking at is just under 13K dry weight with 2600 payload. so about 16K total weight. I will never travel with water in the tanks.
Ahh yer good then. My 16 2500 was capable of 17k with the rfe and it pulled great with that much lbs. I just wouldn't plan any big long trips with weight over 20k

se1096

Reaction score
Ahh yer good then. My 16 2500 was capable of 17k with the rfe and it pulled great with that much lbs. I just wouldn't plan any big long trips with weight over 20k
even with the wife and I and all our gear, we will not be over probably 15K all in. I can't believe the tranny is that big of a detriment to towing. You would think a 1 ton dually diesel should be able to haul mid 20's, the F350's are rated for it. I know they have a bigger engine, but I was looking at 3YO ones that were more expensive than this truck brand new

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Definitely being a drw is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to perception of capability. You can't really compare a ferd hauling mid 20ks to the rfe only hauling 20k. Ram does that to Give people more purchase options based on there needs, but im definitely biased. Imop, i don't feal that the f350 can hold a candle next to the ram 3500. Not until you get to there premier line of the f450 does that compare to our 3500s. I personally wouldn't buy a drw with out the aisin tranny just because you never know what might come up in the future that you may want to haul, then you wouldn't have enough truck. That's kind of what happened to us when we bought our 16 2500 6.7 ram short bed with rfe. It was capable of 17k, wich is more than we ever thought we needed, then life happened and we wished we bought the big dog from the git go. Again, I'm biased and these are truly my swayed opinions that some will agree and disagree with. I predict mostly agree though. :p

se1096

Reaction score
Definitely being a drw is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to perception of capability. You can't really compare a ferd hauling mid 20ks to the rfe only hauling 20k. Ram does that to Give people more purchase options based on there needs, but im definitely biased. Imop, i don't feal that the f350 can hold a candle next to the ram 3500. Not until you get to there premier line of the f450 does that compare to our 3500s. I personally wouldn't buy a drw with out the aisin tranny just because you never know what might come up in the future that you may want to haul, then you wouldn't have enough truck. That's kind of what happened to us when we bought our 16 2500 6.7 ram short bed with rfe. It was capable of 17k, wich is more than we ever thought we needed, then life happened and we wished we bought the big dog from the git go. Again, I'm biased and these are truly my swayed opinions that some will agree and disagree with. I predict mostly agree though. :p
I appreciate the info. I don't think I will ever need to go bigger. We are looking at some big 5th wheels already. We are leaning towards the Keystone Montana Big Country 365BH

se1096

Reaction score
I appreciate the info. I don't think I will ever need to go bigger. We are looking at some big 5th wheels already. We are leaning towards the Keystone Montana Big Country 365BH
Also, it is just me and my wife. We are looking at the bunkhouse in case anyone wants to come with us

eng23ine

Reaction score
nice PDF.
I find it amazing that the HO engine/ Aisin transmission gets an additional 12,430lbs towing capacity vs the same truck with the 68rfe.

se1096

Reaction score
nice PDF.
I find it amazing that the HO engine/ Aisin transmission gets an additional 12,430lbs towing capacity vs the same truck with the 68rfe.
That is nuts. Not that I will be towing 20K, but I think the number is low for my truck.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
You would think a 1 ton dually diesel should be able to haul mid 20's,
The only thing dually does is increase the payload (it also increases stability and safety margin, but that's a separate subject). All things being equal, a SRW and DRW can pull the same weight, but SRW can't handle as much pin weight from a heavier trailer as DRW can. 35100# is the max these trucks can tow (depending on options is can be less), but 15% pin weight puts 5265# of weight in the truck, SRW can't handle that much.
I'm glad RAM has all these options, I've got HO in my SRW and that's all I need, I know plenty of folks who need DRW for the payload and they couldn't care less how much their trucks can tow, because they don't tow.

se1096

Reaction score
The only thing dually does is increase the payload (it also increases stability and safety margin, but that's a separate subject). All things being equal, a SRW and DRW can pull the same weight, but SRW can't handle as much pin weight from a heavier trailer as DRW can. 35100# is the max these trucks can tow (depending on options is can be less), but 15% pin weight puts 5265# of weight in the truck, SRW can't handle that much.
I'm glad RAM has all these options, I've got HO in my SRW and that's all I need, I know plenty of folks who need DRW for the payload and they couldn't care less how much their trucks can tow, because they don't tow.
No I get it. I was just surprised. That being said, I got the dually for stability reasons. There are some strong winds out in the flat lands of West Texas. And I am not worried about my truck handling the trailer we are thinking of getting. Total weight loaded is around 16K. I figured 20% for pin weight, that's 3200#, leaving me 2300# of payload.
Please don't tell me the truck I just bought can't handle the trailer. :(

Users who are viewing this thread