Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Noise coming from dead stop

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
I'm going to take it in, just curious if anyone else has heard this before. It goes away after taking off as seen in the video. It seems if I try to take off as slow as possible , it might not do it, but under any type of acceleration I could reproduce it today.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Found the Source

(this has audio; it's loud)

Ran it to dealership, they said it's basically just a dust cap to protect the pinion bearing. They got a new on order and new bearing .. not sure if full kit or just the seal to be honest.

I was able to use a couple flat heads and push it up on the drive shaft a couple mm and it had enough friction to hold it there and stopped the immediate rubbing on the housing. /shrug

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its not to protect the pinion bearing its to protect the pinion seal. If its not leaking oil the pinion bearing is fine. I would much rather them change/remove the dust shield than have them pull a perfectly fine diff apart to change a bearing that does not need to be changed…

jetrinka

Reaction score
Its not to protect the pinion bearing its to protect the pinion seal. If its not leaking oil the pinion bearing is fine. I would much rather them change/remove the dust shield than have them pull a perfectly fine diff apart to change a bearing that does not need to be changed…
They’ll have to pull the pinion flange to even access and change the dust shield. Not sure Id want some green dealer tech messing with that pinion nut and reinstalling it “incorrectly”

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They’ll have to pull the pinion flange to even access and change the dust shield. Not sure Id want some green dealer tech messing with that pinion nut and reinstalling it “incorrectly”
If my memory serves me right its a shimmed pinion so pretty hard to screw up, if it was a crush sleeve i would be just cutting the dust cover off and not letting the dealer change it lol

jetrinka

Reaction score
If my memory serves me right its a shimmed pinion so pretty hard to screw up, if it was a crush sleeve i would be just cutting the dust cover off and not letting the dealer change it lol
Gotcha. Wasn’t aware of that.

Am I the only one here that fears dealer “techs”?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Gotcha. Wasn’t aware of that.

Am I the only one here that fears dealer “techs”?
Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll just wail on it with a hammer until it says in place. Either that or cover it in hot glue.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Thanks, it's indeed the pinion seal. This is definitely pushing the my pool of knowledge, especially when trying to speak intelligently.

IIRC, he said it's just the seal he'll replace while he's "down there". This was coming from their senior tech not a green tech. But I do agree. I try to avoid replacing things that aren't broken.

Re: the cap spinning, prying it up against the drive shaft held up camping over the weekend. I'm going to talk to them more as I still can't find that part by itself so I'm curious what's going to be replaced and how it will keep from falling down again.

Users who are viewing this thread