Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member intro

Woodall83

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster from Delaware. Currently own a 2015 1500 Sport but in the market for a 2500. Been shopping and browsing the forum for a while but have some questions so finally going to start being active.

woody284

Reaction score
I was new to the Ram world when I jumped in about a year ago. Coming from a ford and its trim levels I thought I was good.. I recommend looking at Ram's trim levels and also theirs level upgrade in each trim. I wish I had done so more. I feel like you can get alot more than than you think is lower trims than other trucks.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster from Delaware. Currently own a 2015 1500 Sport but in the market for a 2500. Been shopping and browsing the forum for a while but have some questions so finally going to start being active.
Welcome to the forum there’s a bunch of good guys on here that have depth of experience and can probably field most any question. Ask away !!

Woodall83

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll just start asking here I guess...

I am not familiar with the 2500 4WD system, I am used to the 1500 "Auto 4WD" option where I could just flip that on when it started snowing and such. I know the 2500's don't have this auto option, but am I safe to drive on a snowy highway in 4WD high mode? I have only used that for going slow in deeper snow.

Can anyone with a '21 model confirm that there is a power outlet in the bed (without Ram box)?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
4WD on the fly has been in the HD line for as long as I can remember.

4-LO you have to slow roll and go into Neutral for it to engage.

Woodall83

Reaction score
4WD on the fly has been in the HD line for as long as I can remember.

4-LO you have to slow roll and go into Neutral for it to engage.
4WD on the fly is not the same as auto 4WD. In the 1500's auto will deliver power to any wheel where slipping is detected, kind of like all wheel drive. That feature is not available with 2500's. I assume 4HI is the substitute but that provides power to all wheels all the time. Was just asking if that was acceptable for highway driving.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
4WD on the fly is not the same as auto 4WD. In the 1500's auto will deliver power to any wheel where slipping is detected, kind of like all wheel drive. That feature is not available with 2500's. I assume 4HI is the substitute but that provides power to all wheels all the time. Was just asking if that was acceptable for highway driving.

I think you're splitting hairs.

However, the 4WD on a straight axle HD, unlike it's transaxle brethren, is intended to be driven only on slick surfaces. It's not recommended to be driven on dry surfaces which is where they differ.

It's correct to say the HD system isn't like any full-time or AWD system which is akin to the 1500 "auto".

Short answer, yes you can use 4WD HI on a snowy highway.

daemonic3

Reaction score
Hey team. I realize this is an old thread I dug up, but it was what came up when I came straight here and was searching for "4wd auto", specifically for HD Rams. If you google, the 1500 discussions dominate and create too much noise to sift through.

From what I read in the owner's manual, and on here, it confirms there is no AWD or 4WD-auto mode on the HD's. Only on half tons. My current F150 is my first 4x4 vehicle and it does have 4WD-auto (4A) and will send power to all wheels as it feels necessary. There is even a power distribution screen you can watch the ratio of front/rear power when accelerating or taking off, until it usually settles to RWD when cruising.

Now, since my (on order) 3500 will be my first truck with deliberate 4H and 4L, I'm curious if its a good idea just to occasionally exercise the front drive so it doesn't go unused for super long periods of time? Like is it bad to never engage the front axle and hubs for several months or thousands of miles? I could very easily just engage it in a straight line on my street leaving home just to get some exercise in, then disable it again. Just not sure if that's pointless or not.

Users who are viewing this thread