Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Instrument Cluster Issue

5th Gen HD

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i swapped out my instrument cluster with the upper end limited cluster, and everything is reading accurately, except for the fuel gauge itself. It stays on full. I don’t want to return it because it’s super nice, I’m wondering if it came out of a vehicle that had a 52 gallon tank mine is the 32 gallon tank. I called the diesel shop today and they said it’s probably not reading the ohms correctly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. IMG_1996.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i swapped out my instrument cluster with the upper end limited cluster, and everything is reading accurately, except for the fuel gauge itself. It stays on full. I don’t want to return it because it’s super nice, I’m wondering if it came out of a vehicle that had a 52 gallon tank mine is the 32 gallon tank. I called the diesel shop today and they said it’s probably not reading the ohms correctly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. View attachment 65388
With the 4.5 gen it should not matter what tank the downer had as that is stored in the BCM. @Jimmy07 may be able to help.

ZFORCE

Reaction score
…therefore, it may be from the 52 gallon tank as you surmised. I would contact the person that you bought it from and ask them for the VIN and then do a VIN decoder and that will answer question, as to what the capacity of the donor vehicle came was. After that, use Alfa OBD to program it to your tank size.

FYI - Rams could also be ordered with both gas tanks in the truck giving you a total capacity of 83 gallons!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
…therefore, it may be from the 52 gallon tank as you surmised. I would contact the person that you bought it from and ask them for the VIN and then do a VIN decoder and that will answer question, as to what the capacity of the donor vehicle came was. After that, use Alfa OBD to program it to your tank size.

FYI - Rams could also be ordered with both gas tanks in the truck giving you a total capacity of 83 gallons!

No, it’s in the BCM which the OP didn’t indicate he changed out. The cluster doesn’t store that info.

Also, only C&C’s can be ordered with dual tanks. On the C&C the capacity is 74 gallons with dual tanks.

5th Gen HD

Reaction score
I just received the Alfa OBD and bypass cable. Do you think that i can correct the issue using it?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I just received the Alfa OBD and bypass cable. Do you think that i can correct the issue using it?

It sounds more like a cluster issue than a programming issue, but maybe there is a setting for that cluster vs your original cluster. @Jimmy07 may know.

Some information on your truck may be useful as well. There isn’t a 5th gen HD Ram yet, but any pertinent info can’t hurt.

Year of the truck? Original trim/cluster.

What year did the new cluster come out of?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i swapped out my instrument cluster with the upper end limited cluster, and everything is reading accurately, except for the fuel gauge itself. It stays on full. I don’t want to return it because it’s super nice, I’m wondering if it came out of a vehicle that had a 52 gallon tank mine is the 32 gallon tank. I called the diesel shop today and they said it’s probably not reading the ohms correctly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. View attachment 65388
The cluster is just a display, and does what it’s told by other computers on the truck, so it doesn’t matter what truck it came out of, it will automatically reflect the correct fuel tank size for what your BCM is telling it to.
Does the fuel gauge needle sweep on startup?

5th Gen HD

Reaction score
The cluster is just a display, and does what it’s told by other computers on the truck, so it doesn’t matter what truck it came out of, it will automatically reflect the correct fuel tank size for what your BCM is telling it to.
Does the fuel gauge needle sweep on startup?
Yes it does, it works perfectly in the manner!

ZFORCE

Reaction score
I did the Evic 7” swap when I first got my 2021 Ram 2500, but I still don’t know what the difference is other than a bigger screen and more color and now I can see what gear I am in at all times, which I love. Can anyone explain some of the differences?

5th Gen HD

Reaction score
I bought it off eBay, out of a 22 Laramie. My truck is a 2020 big horn. The part number I bought is

68525487AB according to the listing.​

Ok you probably bought the one i returned…how many miles were on the cluster when you installed it?

2020bighorn

Reaction score
Ok you probably bought the one i returned…how many miles were on the cluster when you installed it?
The one I bought looks different, wasn’t out of a limited. Feel free to pm me the vendor you bought it from on eBay. I’m curious now.

2020bighorn

Reaction score
We might be onto something. Thats who I bought mine through. Different cluster but same issue. Only showed 7 miles when I installed, but I changed it to my correct mileage.

5th Gen HD

Reaction score
We might be onto something. Thats who I bought mine through. Different cluster but same issue. Only showed 7 miles when I installed, but I changed it to my correct mileage.
Well, honestly, there’s many things to consider because… When I originally ordered mine, he said the truck had 22,000 miles or whatever on it… When I receive the dash it only had 12 miles… Somebody might be getting in there and reprogramming it and screwing up the dash not knowing what they’re doing…
Also, if I’m not mistaken the dash that I originally ordered, I think came out of a 2022 and that might not be compatible with lower year models… it’s all up in the air, I just honestly probably won’t order anything else from that guy… He did me well and refunded all my money, but somethings off… I would send it back as soon as possible, so you can get your refund. All I did was message him and he told me I had to send it back by a certain date which I did.

2020bighorn

Reaction score
Did you put any miles on the truck to see if anything changed? My distance to empty to settling back in to where it should be, after the odometer correction.

5th Gen HD

Reaction score
Did you put any miles on the truck to see if anything changed? My distance to empty to settling back in to where it should be, after the odometer correction.
Yes I did. In fact I put about 600 miles on the truck… I ordered that alpha OBD II … to see if there’s anything I could do with that. Nothing helped trust me. I loved that instrument cluster and I did not want to send it back but I can’t go and spend $650 and my fuel gauge not work properly, or in this case at all.
I got a hold of a guy and all he does is find aftermarket parts for rams and a few other models… after a few weeks of searching, he found me a cluster that I wanted, plus he has all the equipment to program the cluster exactly what it needs to be… When I receive the cluster and install it…make sure everything is working properly. I will give you his contact information and he can help you if you want.

2020bighorn

Reaction score
Did your guy have any insight as to why it didn’t work in your truck? I don’t want send this back and run into the same issue. Any relearn procedures anyone is aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread