Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2020 2500 Cummins, issues with Bluetooth/DPF display/broken sensors

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
Well, I have not had a great run with this new truck since I got the thing. I have 1850kms on it not a whole lot. Here's my problems, I will be calling fiat Canada and the Ombudsman tomorrow.
So to start off with the issue I'm going to Ombudsman over.... I woke up in the morning and went to timmies for coffee on reversing out of my driveway I get an error tells me to wipe the sensors. That makes sense we are in the middle of a freeze thaw cycle and my truck is filthy. So I go get coffee and wipe the sensors....the issue is still their tells me to while the sensors....okay well it's 2 degrees Celsius at the moment and it's gonna get warmer in the afternoon so I zip on over to the wash. Well backing out of the wash bay the same thing happens...wipe sensors.....then I go out and look and would you know it, across the top of the sensor on the driver's side rear bumper is a crack across the top of it, no impact dmg in the plastic around the sensor and a small chip in the top corner. What I assume is dmg from freeze thaw...must have been a **** sensor and water got in their, no big deal call the dealer explain what I found...no problem bring it in....the next thing I know they are telling me a rock broke physics and some how struck the rear end of my vehicle with enough force to break the sensor and that little chip they use as their evidence... despite admitting that water could do that and their was not dmg right beside the chip to anything else... Claimed that if he warrantied it he would have to send it back to Fiat and they would see the dmg and charge him for the part...I'll attach an image of the broken sensor, my opinion is that it isn't rock dmg and is likely from water and freezing temperatures. That's issue 1(the idea he would send broken parts back to Fiat to be investigated is laughable to)

Issue 2, my dpf display on the truck screen doesn't do anything, the truck has gone into Regen 3 times and told me such but that meter hasn't moved at all. They say it's working....I agree that the truck itself is functioning and that Regen is occurring. However the DPF isn't sending its diagnostics to the HUD

Issue number 3/4 my Sirius satellite radio is terrible. Has terrible signal strength basically gets blocked by slightly tall trees and double wide trailers... overhead powerlines ect....said they did an 12 km test ride and it was fine...ya it would be on a wide open prairie highway drive through town is another matter, my 2019 1500 only cut out in 1 spot of my commute this thing cuts out all the time....they say it's fine...... And issue 4, massive lag from the blue tooth connection makes it useless, it lags a good 2 seconds so using it to answer phone calls doesn't work as it's like talking to someone who is on the moon with the delay. The same goes for music tell it to play or stop and the command takes two whole seconds, try to watch a video and the fact it's out of sync is massively apparent. They tell me it's fine that's how blue tooth works and that my unit is up to date...my response was really no blue tooth unit of any sort has done that to me since it started being an option for PC components and headphones, and that I had the 12 inch Uconnect display in my 2019 and it didn't behave like that. I'm really at my wits end here and am almost ready to go trade this thing in for a ford so I don't have to deal with a Chrysler/dodge/ram dealer ever again, I like the truck but my experience has been garbage when it comes to service...my 2019 was one of the worst fit and finished vehicles I'd ever owned and they couldn't even fix the trim properly it kept popping off and you could see that they didn't put any effort into doing things right, they scratched.my rim...rather gauged and took out a tire and tried to blame me on my 2019...they then scratched my new rim again putting on tires just a few weeks later. This whole experience has been hell, I shouldn't have to fight and escalate every damn little thing to have it fixed. I don't care if thing break just support your damn products

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_181854.jpg
    IMG_20210303_181854.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 31

Yillbs

Reaction score
This kind of sucks, but to be fair, even if the weather caused the damage... that's still not really warranties problem, is it? If weather breaks it, and then water gets in, FCA isn't really responsible here, maybe call your insurance company, they would cover it. The other stuff, that's brutal, sorry :(

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
This kind of sucks, but to be fair, even if the weather caused the damage... that's still not really warranties problem, is it? If weather breaks it, and then water gets in, FCA isn't really responsible here, maybe call your insurance company, they would cover it. The other stuff, that's brutal, sorry :(
Water shouldn't get into it, it's no difference then water getting into and ruining them into your headlights or into your sunroof through lousy seals. They are on the outside of the vehicle and have to be able to handle weather at least for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty with things like hail or tornadoes being insurances issue

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
You can see in the picture the lense of the sensor isn't dead center and their is a space on the top left edge, their is even a grain of sand trapped in the sensor. None of my other sensors have gaps

Yillbs

Reaction score
Water shouldn't get into it, it's no difference then water getting into and ruining them into your headlights or into your sunroof through lousy seals. They are on the outside of the vehicle and have to be able to handle weather at least for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty with things like hail or tornadoes being insurances issue

No, that's not true. This is nothing like a bad seal. A bad seal with no outside intervention would be corrected. A massive storm with high winds that caused something to hit your sunroof, allowing water to get in would not be the same. If damage occurs to an item, then it's subsequently damaged further, it would not be covered by warranty. I understand the argument you're attempting to make, but since the initial culprit was damage, regardless of from what, it's going to be denied, you can't expect a damaged part to behave as though it was new, regardless of whether you feel the crack is small or not, that is moot, a damaged part is not subjective, it's either damaged, or not damaged.

Furthermore, it looks like a small rock, or something else could have caused the damage as well, you're likely not going to win this one. That said, a good service Department could good will this without issue, find yourself a better dealer :)

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
No, that's not true. This is nothing like a bad seal. A bad seal with no outside intervention would be corrected. A massive storm with high winds that caused something to hit your sunroof, allowing water to get in would not be the same. If damage occurs to an item, then it's subsequently damaged further, it would not be covered by warranty. I understand the argument you're attempting to make, but since the initial culprit was damage, regardless of from what, it's going to be denied, you can't expect a damaged part to behave as though it was new, regardless of whether you feel the crack is small or not, that is moot, a damaged part is not subjective, it's either damaged, or not damaged.
Your missing the point, the crack was caused because water under normal conditions got into something that should be sealed, it then froze and cracked the unit. The damage you see crack and all is water dmg

OneBadBernie

Reaction score

Furthermore, it looks like a small rock, or something else could have caused the damage as well, you're likely not going to win this one. That said, a good service Department could good will this without issue, find yourself a better dealer :)
A bad seal with no outside intervention in your sunroof would mean a wet interior and lots of fried electronics. A bad seal in your head lights leads to blown bulbs and a bad seal in electronics in a cold wet environment leads to water intrusion and freezing when it drops bellow zero. Water expands when it freezes don't believe me? Put a glass bottle full of water in your freezer see how that turns out.

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
What are the park sensors worth anyway does anyone know? I find something on Mopar parts catalog but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Minor issues and you want to trade it in. ? What says if you go with another brand you won't have any issues. You aren't ever guaranteed a prefect vehicle no matter what brand you go with. Just find a different dealer.

Last edited:

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
Minor issues and you want to trade it in. ? What says if you go with another brand you won't have any issues. You aren't ever guaranteed a prefect vehicle no matter what brand you go with. Just find a different dealer.
I've gone to 2 the first one tried to tell me my warranty was shot because I put a programmer on the truck.....this was 2 days after I bought it......so I took it to dealer two...they check the service bulletin and find out it's an update required. Fact is theese issues I have mean that they are going to have to replace.computers in the truck....right now they claim it works and it doesn't thats not a minor issues on a week old 100,000 dollar vehicle not acceptable that everytime I go in for warranty work they try to deny it and I have to call Chrysler. This is my second Chrysler product and the second set of run arounds. So now that's 2 vehicles in a row that have spent their first while I owned them at the dealer where they fail to fix anything........my ford and gm products didn't spend near as much time at the dealer. I don't care about issues I care that FCA seems to train their dealers to straight up steel from people. I buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years, I didn't get a service contract on this one because of they couldn't even remember to grease ball joints or do the service they were paid for.

Xflight29

Reaction score
That really sucks. Hard to believe this dealer's attitude.
Sorry to hear, they have no care at all.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
im at 23000km my dpf gauge has never shown anything other than the regen that's normal these truck run so efficient you don't get anything in the filter to clog it

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
have you ever towed a trailer? its possible to have a rock bounce off the trailer and hit the sensor and looking at the anatomy of the sensor you can see that water getting in is impossible the little ring around the center circle is silicone there is no open cavity where water can get in...... see the picture I am posting it is the 4th gen sensor which is almost the exact same but we have a rear pigtail mount and these ones have a while silicone ring on it...

for the Bluetooth have you ruled out your phone being the issue?

im starting to wonder if the dealership is the issue or you are......

Attachments

• 61YEdNX86nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61YEdNX86nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
have you ever towed a trailer? its possible to have a rock bounce off the trailer and hit the sensor and looking at the anatomy of the sensor you can see that water getting in is impossible the little ring around the center circle is silicone there is no open cavity where water can get in...... see the picture I am posting it is the 4th gen sensor which is almost the exact same but we have a rear pigtail mount and these ones have a while silicone ring on it...

for the Bluetooth have you ruled out your phone being the issue?

im starting to wonder if the dealership is the issue or you are......
No I haven't put a trailer on it yet or I would have assumed that was possible. The soft plastic around the sensor isn't damaged. As for the blue tooth, no it's not my phone I've checked and my system that was in my 2019 long horn didn't have the issue, this is a brand new truck I got it like a week and a half ago it has 1850 kms on it. Why would the truck Regen if their is no soot? Makes no sense the readout isn't working is the logical assumption....I've herd others have this issue and other people do not and have the truck Regen around 1/4 dirty on the DPF display. Now as for that damn sensor how that dude acted he behaved like it was going to cost hundreds of dollars told me he needed the money upfront but never told me the cost. I found out it was 58 dollars Canadian so I asked the parts guy to bring it in I'll have it tomorrow. He should have lead with that I don't know what they were planning to charge me but for 60 bucks it's not worth the headache and phone calls. They have to date tried to deny me warranty on every issue on my 2019 and this 2020 even tried to charge me when I payed for a service.pkg to change my oil at one point. Their customer service it absolutely miserable, they default to you broke it, when I swear 6-7 years ago let alone 10-12 they would have said hey don't worry man that's covered under warranty now they accuse you of **** that just isn't physically possible

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No I haven't put a trailer on it yet or I would have assumed that was possible. The soft plastic around the sensor isn't damaged. As for the blue tooth, no it's not my phone I've checked and my system that was in my 2019 long horn didn't have the issue, this is a brand new truck I got it like a week and a half ago it has 1850 kms on it. Why would the truck Regen if their is no soot? Makes no sense the readout isn't working is the logical assumption....I've herd others have this issue and other people do not and have the truck Regen around 1/4 dirty on the DPF display. Now as for that damn sensor how that dude acted he behaved like it was going to cost hundreds of dollars told me he needed the money upfront but never told me the cost. I found out it was 58 dollars Canadian so I asked the parts guy to bring it in I'll have it tomorrow. He should have lead with that I don't know what they were planning to charge me but for 60 bucks it's not worth the headache and phone calls. They have to date tried to deny me warranty on every issue on my 2019 and this 2020 even tried to charge me when I payed for a service.pkg to change my oil at one point. Their customer service it absolutely miserable, they default to you broke it, when I swear 6-7 years ago let alone 10-12 they would have said hey don't worry man that's covered under warranty now they accuse you of **** that just isn't physically possible
fair enough, the regen has nothing to do with the gauge the regen happens based on usage if it has done lots of idling it will regen more frequently the regens are to prevent having anything plugging the system and will happen with nothing in the dpf filter unlike the older truck that would wait until the system started to plug up i have had regens happen around 4k km intervals except now that its winter and im plowing i have had them happen more often due to the slower speeds and added idling

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
I still don't really get that, I know their sensitive. However regens specifically are to burn out soot, if no soot is being registered then it makes no sense that it would Regen that's a terrific waste of fuel. They got back to me, said that FCA told him that he should compare it to a similar vehicles and report back. They basically believe I'm missing the reading before it cleans out...well I've had the screen up the whole time. I know it's regening and know it's not plugging up however should I want to postpone a Regen when parking for the evening I want to know what level of soot is actually in their given I have said readout

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
they are to prevent soot build up in the filter..... its a good thing you don't see anything on the gauge how is that so hard for you to understand i am telling you that is normal in these 4.5 gen trucks most people in this forum have the exact same results are you saying you want to see your dpf start to plug up already? these trucks do active regening meaning the regen regardless of gauge level and from my understanding they also do a forced regen every 24 hrs

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
they are to prevent soot build up in the filter..... its a good thing you don't see anything on the gauge how is that so hard for you to understand i am telling you that is normal in these 4.5 gen trucks most people in this forum have the exact same results are you saying you want to see your dpf start to plug up already? these trucks do active regening meaning the regen regardless of gauge level and from my understanding they also do a forced regen every 24 hrs
https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/def-gauge-question-longhorn-limited.572/ another post about a similar issue if you look their are many, if your gauge is reading zero and it goes into active Regen this is an issue with the readout as it displays zero then displays the active Regen message and you can tell the truck is doing it. If it's clean this would be doing it for no reason, j can find no literature claiming what you are saying

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
I find rumors of a timed 24 hour active Regen regardless of DPF level on forums but I cannot find that in the manual or in Cummins literature online

Users who are viewing this thread