Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on suspension fix

UglyViking

Reaction score
At this point, I'd start talking off components to look to see if something is starting to "ovalize". This is a mostly unknown issue on some early JKs where the track back connects to the frame being a metric bolt but was fitted with SAE both from factory and some aftermarket suspension kits.

While it's unlikely this is the same thing it is possible that you're experiencing the early stages of a death wobble as it starts to enlarge the bolt mounting hole.

I'd start looking at all your bolts to make sure they are within spec for their respective size, and then look for signs of a mount enlarging (rubbing patterns in mount paint, obvious size difference between hole and bolt, or "sides" of the mount, etc.). It's very possible for these bolts to have the correct torque value but still shift. I know it seems crazy but personal experience has taught me it's true, as unlikely as it may be.

Past that, I can't recall if you torqued your bodyounts, but id confirm them if you haven't yet. Body mounts on these dodges are horrible, so could be one of them.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I torqued my cab mounts and there was no change. I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last 16 months trying to figure out what it could be.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I torqued my cab mounts and there was no change. I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last 16 months trying to figure out what it could be.
Cab mounts are one thing, and perhaps they are fine. Have you removed the track bar to see if the hole is perfectly circular or is it starting to have an indentation from the bolt? Again, I'm not saying this is guaranteed the issue, but considering the number of things that have been tried I'd say it's worth the time. I'd start with the track bars and move from there.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Well. Short answer is a disappointing "No." As said here earlier, it isn't or wasn't the shocks not damping, but has to be somewhere else in the whole system. @OLEJOE , save your money.

If we concentrate on the "reverberation" bounce, maybe I take your previously mentioned path on other things possibly bouncing after the initial jolt and transmitting that vibration into the cabin. Like a transmission/x-fer case mount points.
I'll have to get me a GoPro or something under the truck for visual diagnostic purposes. I've never used one and wonder if a mount to the frame can see body vibration...maybe watch the springs oscillate...shocks do work, etc. I don't know at this point. I have a single rear driveshaft, so no carrier. The transmission mount is much more intricate than my old GM trucks.
View attachment 49671 VS. View attachment 49672
Man.. i feel for ya.. i don’t remember all the details of what you have installed. I just can’t believe that no one can help you.. Thuren included..

ClawSS

Reaction score
I'm back on the stock springs, but on the 2.5 Fox adjustable. The shocks are too long so I'm trying to not droop the axle too much. I had to hold the springs in place as I lowered the truck to the ground.
My normal driving routine of 110mi daily loop hasn't dropped a spring yet.
I am trying to go back to isolation methods of problem solving and see where I get worse or better. Running the shocks as soft as possible on the Hi-speed Compression damper w/ stock springs yield the softest ride, but there is still the reverb triple bounce on larger that normal impacts. Bam...bounce-bounce-bounce. I was also hoping the 37's would absorb more road bumps, but I feel everything. Probably load range "E" issues.

Another interesting tidbit....The ride is better under 50 than over 50. I can tell I'm under 50 without looking. Same feeling on Transforce or on the Falkens. Multiple balances, but the truck must have a resonance right at that point.

Eventually I'll be back to a stock rear suspension and more than likely not solving a thing since @OLEJOE is totally stock on his CCLB and feeling the same thing.
I may have a bunch of things for sale depending on the outcome of my trials. I'm at 18k on the odometer in about a yr of ownership...most everything has been installed since 8k.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm back on the stock springs, but on the 2.5 Fox adjustable. The shocks are too long so I'm trying to not droop the axle too much. I had to hold the springs in place as I lowered the truck to the ground.
My normal driving routine of 110mi daily loop hasn't dropped a spring yet.
I am trying to go back to isolation methods of problem solving and see where I get worse or better. Running the shocks as soft as possible on the Hi-speed Compression damper w/ stock springs yield the softest ride, but there is still the reverb triple bounce on larger that normal impacts. Bam...bounce-bounce-bounce. I was also hoping the 37's would absorb more road bumps, but I feel everything. Probably load range "E" issues.

Another interesting tidbit....The ride is better under 50 than over 50. I can tell I'm under 50 without looking. Same feeling on Transforce or on the Falkens. Multiple balances, but the truck must have a resonance right at that point.

Eventually I'll be back to a stock rear suspension and more than likely not solving a thing since @OLEJOE is totally stock on his CCLB and feeling the same thing.
I may have a bunch of things for sale depending on the outcome of my trials. I'm at 18k on the odometer in about a yr of ownership...most everything has been installed since 8k.
I'm sort of wondering if there is a manufacturing defect that you just never noticed. I think I recall you saying that you were really focused on how the truck drives when you first got it, but some things can slip without you realizing, happens to the best of us. Perhaps there is some issue (placement of bracket misaligned for example) that is causing this issue.

ClawSS

Reaction score
If I could get other experienced opinions, I'd try to figure it out. I love all things except the ride and that is what I do every day in it....ride. I am almost at the end of this journey. It could just be me and I found a pea under my 22 mattresses.
Who has monitored this thread and is somewhere near Central Kentucky at any point in their 2023 life that wants to tell me I'm an idiot and it rides like 2500, but only AFTER riding in the truck....NOT before or on this forum! ;)

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
If I could get other experienced opinions, I'd try to figure it out. I love all things except the ride and that is what I do every day in it....ride. I am almost at the end of this journey. It could just be me and I found a pea under my 22 mattresses.
Who has monitored this thread and is somewhere near Central Kentucky at any point in their 2023 life that wants to tell me I'm an idiot and it rides like 2500, but only AFTER riding in the truck....NOT before or on this forum! ;)
Bring it out to Colorado and I'll take a ride and give you my opinion.

Riddick

Reaction score
Sorry you have not figured this out yet. Do you have any Go Pro cameras? If so mount them on the frame pointed at all suspension mounting locations. Also, I would try to get some shots of your driveline such as the output shaft on the transmission, transmission mounts, and driveshaft.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Sorry you have not figured this out yet. Do you have any Go Pro cameras? If so mount them on the frame pointed at all suspension mounting locations. Also, I would try to get some shots of your driveline such as the output shaft on the transmission, transmission mounts, and driveshaft.
I don't have any. I am trying to get the shop I mentioned earlier to step up with that type of investigation. We are still negotiating.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I’ve not been able to locate another 2500 close to me on a dealer lot to check and see if it does the same thing. When I give up on it, it probably will have a different address.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Contacted my salesman at the dealer. He is putting me in touch with their "suspension guy that installs their lifts" for a ride along without going through service. Worth a shot I guess. Will let him ride in the Thuren suspension, but probably headed down the path of returning to stock until something happens.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Update: Dealers didn't help. We rode around in both the technicians personal 2019 2500 Hemi CC on pucks up front and stanced 35's. Not stellar, but it did not bounce like mine either.
Tech said mine rode much better, but that what I was feeling was potentially "frame flex" on the longer wheelbase. I said, "uh huh" and we parted ways.

I then contacted Andrew @ Thuren again and he said to try loosening the rear control arms at both the frame and axle...bounce the truck...retighten to 240lbs.
"The factory torsilastic bushing store a lot of energy and have a lot of artificial spring rate in them ie they resist twisting as the suspension cycles"

So now I need to find a torque wrench suitable...my Craftsman maxes out at 240, but may work...and try an get my 21yo son to retighten them. I can't hit that torque spec anymore. He on the other hand has missed the click on the torque wrench and twisted off one of my wheel studs.

Any comments?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Glad to hear back from you. Sorry they couldn’t help. For you and me. Wife has a nephew that works for a suspension company that probably has a torque wrench that will go that high, so I may hit him up to take mine to work with him and see what happens. I think most of mine is coming from the front end but not really sure. Please keep me updated on any progress you make. I’m still driving mine with interest rates going up and up. I’m retired so not a lot of extra money.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Update: Dealers didn't help. We rode around in both the technicians personal 2019 2500 Hemi CC on pucks up front and stanced 35's. Not stellar, but it did not bounce like mine either.
Tech said mine rode much better, but that what I was feeling was potentially "frame flex" on the longer wheelbase. I said, "uh huh" and we parted ways.

I then contacted Andrew @ Thuren again and he said to try loosening the rear control arms at both the frame and axle...bounce the truck...retighten to 240lbs.
"The factory torsilastic bushing store a lot of energy and have a lot of artificial spring rate in them ie they resist twisting as the suspension cycles"

So now I need to find a torque wrench suitable...my Craftsman maxes out at 240, but may work...and try an get my 21yo son to retighten them. I can't hit that torque spec anymore. He on the other hand has missed the click on the torque wrench and twisted off one of my wheel studs.

Any comments?
Sounds like a cheap option to test and now that you mention it, I do recall install instructions with something I installed (was thinking it was in the front though) stating that same thing about needing to bounce and tighten fully sitting on the ground.

As for the wrench - I wouldn't bother with the torque wrench when loosening, purely when having your son re-tighten, so it should be fine even though that's it's max on the settings.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I did that on the rear and front trackbars with the truck weight on them. That's a given due to their style and movement.
It did not occur to me that the control arms (even with .5" height adjustment static with rear springs) would need a reset, BUT with the amount of "new travel" the soft-rides give, I guess anything is possible.
Andrew's statement was, "I'm wondering if the control arm bushings are in a bind from the rear 1" lift coils that they are possibly causing these issues. Its the only thing I believe hasn't been tried at this point and could in theory be a cause."

Users who are viewing this thread