Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on suspension fix

Tater86

Reaction score
Just an update as I took it to another shop. As usual they said everything is operating normal and everything I’m noticing is just normal operation of a long bed HD ‍♂️. Anyone else have any luck lately?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Not here. I had shoulder surgery a week ago and haven’t even been in mine for a while. I had the wife’s nephew look at it and he saw what I was talking about but didn’t have any answers. But maybe atleast I have him thinking about it. He’ a trouble shooter/technician for a local company that manufactures and sells lifts for vehicles. Still looking for remedies though.
I’ve thought about lowering mine some and see if it has any effect. Maybe an inch or two front and rear.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Well, I had to get a shop to loosen, bounce the truck, and tighten my rear control arm bolts to get the proper torque.

No change in ride. Still the complete road feel and residual bounce across every break in the surface.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I talked to the wife’s nephew about that and he said trucks normally lean to one side or the other when that’s the problem. He’s never seen all of the bushings preloaded. Thanks for the update though. I thought about adding some more weight in the bed and see if that would help. I’m disappointed in the way mine rides but guess I’m stuck with it for now.
Was hoping to make a few long trips pulling our TT and kinda see how it does but other things have come up. Having to start physical therapy in a few days for the shoulder so traveling plans got moved back again. Thanks again for the update.
I noticed a little bit of tire feathering (back towards the front on top) on the rear tires so I’m wondering if it might be some alignment or tire issues Idk.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Well, I had to get a shop to loosen, bounce the truck, and tighten my rear control arm bolts to get the proper torque.

No change in ride. Still the complete road feel and residual bounce across every break in the surface.
Next time you’re down south in Georgia take mine for a drive. See if is the same, better or worse. Then figure out the difference between them.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
No I stayed with the 2500. It’s plenty for us. Just pull a 6500# bumper pull TT. I can’t get over the difference in the ride between the two.
Odd that there are a few trucks that ride so bad. Wish we could figure it out. Glad the new truck rides better.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm just spitballing here, but is it possible that the ride quality difference comes from the fact that a LB truck has a higher percentage of weight on the front axle (and thus lower weight on the rear) than a SB? The difference between an LB Hemi and a SB Cummins would be even greater.

Tater86

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and still haven't determined the issue. I went and test drove a 23 2500 Tradesman CCLB and it was night and day difference between mine and the Tradesman. I had the service manager sit in the truck and he said he felt a slight difference but it is all normal to him (&*#*&$@). I took it too a local shop and they said there is something definitely off, but unless you find a dealer that wants to just start replacing parts you won't find one to replace anything under warranty.

I also have a rough idle issue too and I get the same response above for that issue as well.

So I think I might be taking OLEJOE's route. I'm actually heading to the Chevy dealer tomorrow to test drive a 2024 :oops:

UglyViking

Reaction score
So, this is a long shot, but have you checked your body mounts? I wonder if the body mounts on your bed are loose, causing additional "bounce" which is making the rear end feel like it's shaking a little. I'd also look and make sure your spare tire is tightened all the way.

Assuming you've done those things, the new 2024 GMs do look really nice, especially now that they have updated the stupid grilles and put some effort into the interior.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I was on the fence about changing brands also. I checked everything I knew to check on mine and dealer told me that’s just how they are. I hated getting further in debt but now wife and I can carry on a conversation while driving. The test drive in the new one, they had the tires aired up to 85 lbs and it was still smoother than the LB truck. I don’t know the reason why it does it but the people who have this problem I do understand and know the problem you are having. Good luck on getting it resolved.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I can tell you one thing after riding in my colleague's bone stock 2020 Tradesman CCSB Hemi.....with 60+ lbs. in the tires.
His rides much rougher than mine. Hard bouncy, with definite side-shift when the suspension unloads in the rear.
IF this is what y'all call normal, wow. Just wow. I'm not immediately going to go with "it's all just me"...but I'm thinking I need to look in the mirror and reflect on my expectations.
@OLEJOE may be on to something, but I'm TRX stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread