Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a recommendation on Transfer Case fluid

ClawSS

Reaction score
What is the consensus on the proper transfer case fluid to use in a 2022 Ram 2500 4x4?

MtnRider

Reaction score
According to your owners manual......

We recommend using Mopar® Transfer Case Lubricant for Borg Warner
44-44 and 44-45"

ClawSS

Reaction score
Ok, so use the same fluid in the BW 44-46 that is in my 2022? I was investigating if the manual was actually a downlevel copy/paste from somewhere else.

Borg Warner BW44-44 is the "Auto" 4WD transfer case with wet clutches. FCA recommended their own special Mopar oil for the clutches. FYI, I don't have the "Auto" selector on my 4WD buttons.
Borg Warner BW44-46 is part time 4WD transfer case without clutches & has what I think is the chain drive.

Barryg

Reaction score
they leave the factory with dexron III in them. at least that is what I have read from someone who works at the bw assembly plant. On my 17 I used atf4 and at a 160 k miles still running along just fine

Mulely

Reaction score
I've ran Amsoil SS ATF in all my Borg Warner transfer cases where they spec ATF with zero issues. Even in the wife's SRT that has the clutches for the awd system. No complaints.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Truckman

Reaction score
I run the factory fluid from dealer until warranty is out then ?. It will be whatever I decide at that time.

polcat

Reaction score
All, I found this information from Bob is the Oil Guy forums:

The miracle that Mopar fluids are:
FCA (now Stellantis) came up with the new "2016+ BW44-44" transfer case fluid in 2018. I'm pretty sure that if you drain your transfer case, red ATF will come out of it. Nothing changed with the BW44-44. However, RAM figured that what is essentially a universal tractor fluid will offer better wear protection for that miserable clutch in the BW44-44 transfer case because they already messed up the programming and didn't want to fix that. The front wheels are constantly engaged and disengaged, and that can wear out the wet clutch pretty fast if used regularly, not to mention that it overheats.

So what are these fluids?
Well, the Mopar 68089195AA BW44-45 and pre-2016 transfer case fluid is essentially Dexron III ATF with an Allison approval, but you can use and Dexron III ATF to replace it. The one in the Mopar bottle is Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389.

The Mopar 68049954AC BW44-40 and +2016 BW44-44 transfer case fluid is Mobil Fluid LT. Borg Warner transfer cases with on-demand 4WD have used this fluid for decades, including in the Kia Borrego. You can buy a 5-gallon pail for around $150, and it will last for about 13 fluid changes. Or you can go to Advance Auto Parts and buy 2 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (PAO based Dex III/Mercon V fluid), add 4 oz. of Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant to your 1.5-quart transfer case fluid change and call it a day. You will have the best transfer case fluid ever, and the Lubegard will add some wear and tear protection for that clutch, as well as smooth engagement.

I hope this helps. These fluids aren't unicorn fluids or even anything special. The problem is that the Mopar division is greedy and the high level of bureaucracy there is insane.

ClawSS

Reaction score
All, I found this information from Bob is the Oil Guy forums:

The miracle that Mopar fluids are:
FCA (now Stellantis) came up with the new "2016+ BW44-44" transfer case fluid in 2018. I'm pretty sure that if you drain your transfer case, red ATF will come out of it. Nothing changed with the BW44-44. However, RAM figured that what is essentially a universal tractor fluid will offer better wear protection for that miserable clutch in the BW44-44 transfer case because they already messed up the programming and didn't want to fix that. The front wheels are constantly engaged and disengaged, and that can wear out the wet clutch pretty fast if used regularly, not to mention that it overheats.

So what are these fluids?
Well, the Mopar 68089195AA BW44-45 and pre-2016 transfer case fluid is essentially Dexron III ATF with an Allison approval, but you can use and Dexron III ATF to replace it. The one in the Mopar bottle is Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389.

The Mopar 68049954AC BW44-40 and +2016 BW44-44 transfer case fluid is Mobil Fluid LT. Borg Warner transfer cases with on-demand 4WD have used this fluid for decades, including in the Kia Borrego. You can buy a 5-gallon pail for around $150, and it will last for about 13 fluid changes. Or you can go to Advance Auto Parts and buy 2 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (PAO based Dex III/Mercon V fluid), add 4 oz. of Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant to your 1.5-quart transfer case fluid change and call it a day. You will have the best transfer case fluid ever, and the Lubegard will add some wear and tear protection for that clutch, as well as smooth engagement.

I hope this helps. These fluids aren't unicorn fluids or even anything special. The problem is that the Mopar division is greedy and the high level of bureaucracy there is insane.
I understand, but I have the BW44-46....the non Auto. Therefore, everything you typed/copied was where I also read, but did NOT find anything on the "new" 44-46 design in the '22.

I wanted to know what do we use in the BW44-46. Are we sticking to ATF+4 because we don't know any better or are we just going to the dealer and having their guys put something in it that is handed to them by the parts guy?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I understand, but I have the BW44-46....the non Auto. Therefore, everything you typed/copied was where I also read, but did NOT find anything on the "new" 44-46 design in the '22.

I wanted to know what do we use in the BW44-46. Are we sticking to ATF+4 because we don't know any better or are we just going to the dealer and having their guys put something in it that is handed to them by the parts guy?
There’s nothing “new” on the 44-46 for 2022, it the same 44-46 that’s been used for the last 10 years. 68089195AA would be the correct fluid. If you don’t want to use that, then just go with your favorite ATF.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'll bring this thread back, I am researching for my 1500 transfer case with the auto 4X4 mode oil ( Mopar # 68049954AA ) replacement and have found a couple that should work, but this thread popped up in the search.

For my 07 3500 C&C transfer case, I dumped the ATF and filled it with Mobil Delvac transmission fluid 50wt and put 40K miles on it without issue. Its also what I filled my G56 with.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I'll bring this thread back, I am researching for my 1500 transfer case with the auto 4X4 mode oil ( Mopar # 68049954AA ) replacement and have found a couple that should work, but this thread popped up in the search.

For my 07 3500 C&C transfer case, I dumped the ATF and filled it with Mobil Delvac transmission fluid 50wt and put 40K miles on it without issue. Its also what I filled my G56 with.

I used to have a 1500 with the auto transfer case and like many on the other forum found that ATF+4 worked the best in it, specifically Redline C+. I had a manual override to actually lock the sucker up and it always "locked up" the best with ATF +4 of some variety in it. Someone did a VOA of the Mopar juice and it was just a modified Dex III that wasn't very impressive IMO. That truck was built for having fun off road and the T-case took a bit of "abuse", when I was locking it up manually I found that ATF+4 or C+ would come out looking/smelling the least "used up".

I also run ATF +4 in the HD T-Cases, but in reality you could get away with any number of fluids in a chain drive transfer case with zero issues. Its those auto T-Cases with the clutch in them that are hard on fluids.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I purchased the Mopar OE fluid at a ridiculous price for my first change. It’s not even close to a ATF, unless they didn’t add a dye to it. I bought Redline MT-LV that crosses over to it per part number, but it has a slight red tint to it. I don’t think I’ll put any red or red tint so the dealer won’t claim wrong fluid if it fails and they find a red color oil. Will it happen I doubt it, but at the costs of todays repairs, I don’t want to get stuck with the cost. I’m going to try Ravenol transfer case fluid https://www.blauparts.com/borgwarne...MIw-KYmYXGgQMVOjfUAR0XYwP_EAQYASABEgKNDfD_BwE

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I purchased the Mopar OE fluid at a ridiculous price for my first change. It’s not even close to a ATF, unless they didn’t add a dye to it. I bought Redline MT-LV that crosses over to it per part number, but it has a slight red tint to it. I don’t think I’ll put any red or red tint so the dealer won’t claim wrong fluid if it fails and they find a red color oil. Will it happen I doubt it, but at the costs of todays repairs, I don’t want to get stuck with the cost. I’m going to try Ravenol transfer case fluid https://www.blauparts.com/borgwarne...MIw-KYmYXGgQMVOjfUAR0XYwP_EAQYASABEgKNDfD_BwE
I've seen the OE fill come out Red and Not Red across trucks as well as the Mopar OE fluid be red or not red - Think that really depends on who they're sourcing it from at the time as to if it gets tranny fluid dye or not. Can't go wrong with the Ravenol fluid IMO, but at the time I owned mine I had access to RedLine at distributor pricing so it was a no brainer for me.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t base applicability on the color, but rather the specs and applications on the bottle.

Plenty of wrong fluids could be the correct color.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Yes good point, but if the dealers see red, they could claim wrong fluid, when under warranty.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Sorta glad I had OE oil, my dads property has a steep gravel drive way, so I had it in 4 wheel auto, when I got to Fresno 50 mile drive, I saw the 4WD auto lit up on my dash. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread