Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My poor 2019 in for an oil leak...

takopecky

Reaction score
It's a Ram dealership, but it's the gasket up next to the engine block. The cam shaft has to be pulled. I wasn't pleased about the cab pulloff, but it's a warranty job...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 18 had a leak there, neither the cab came off nor did the cam come out. It was about a 4 hour fix for the dealership.

The cab does not have to come off for the cam to come out, it creates a whole lot more work than needed.

techman

Reaction score
Take a picture or have them take a picture of the cab suspended above. I would be curious to see just how much "stuff" is hanging down from the top. Maybe with modern electronics the wiring harnesses and various hoses, etc, make pulling the cab not that big of a deal. Or maybe a tech can chime in on engine removal versus cab removal time estimates.

Sure is easier to work on with that cab out of the way.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I thought that was one of the draws of the Cummins vs the Powerstroke or Duramax - cab pulling not necessary....

UglyViking

Reaction score
My buddy owns a diesel shop and he said that all modern diesel trucks are basically made to take the cab off to do any real engine work. You don't have to pull the cab on a Cummins truck, but if you have a lot of work to do it makes it easier, and surprisingly, much faster to just pull the cab.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its about 1-1/2 hrs to pull the cab and reinstall is another 1.5 its not bad at all but if i was doing the job i would have just pulled the front grill and rads thats all thats needed and it makes it really easy to work on….

I typically use a plastic pipe to keep the lifters from dropping not a metal pipe that can damage the cam bearings on the way in

whitexc

Reaction score
That exhaust has way too many sensors!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UglyViking

Reaction score
Its about 1-1/2 hrs to pull the cab and reinstall is another 1.5 its not bad at all but if i was doing the job i would have just pulled the front grill and rads thats all thats needed and it makes it really easy to work on….

I typically use a plastic pipe to keep the lifters from dropping not a metal pipe that can damage the cam bearings on the way in
I was told that most shops can pull the cab in 45 mins. The book may say an hour and a half, but the real time is generally not that long, at least what I've heard.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was told that most shops can pull the cab in 45 mins. The book may say an hour and a half, but the real time is generally not that long, at least what I've heard.
Im not sure with the rams honestly but the fords average 1.5hrs so i was basing it on that

jadmt

Reaction score
bu
is it really that simple to where a cab pull is faster than not? that's crazy, to me.
buddy who is a Ford tech said it dealerships who have the equipment to pull cabs do a better job and faster. He said they are made to come off and not as complicated as it looks. He has been at the same dealership for 45 years. I would probably be better off not seeing it tho lol.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
bu

buddy who is a Ford tech said it dealerships who have the equipment to pull cabs do a better job and faster. He said they are made to come off and not as complicated as it looks. He has been at the same dealership for 45 years. I would probably be better off not seeing it tho lol.
There is no special equipment to pull a cab just need a 2 post hoist

takopecky

Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures. Being a bit of a perfectionist myself, my real concerns are the experience of the technician, the attention to detail upon reassembly, and the general mess that their shop is. They were also looking for a leak at the rear of the engine, so taking the cab off was easiest. IMG-4099.jpgIMG-4097.jpgIMG-4102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread