Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2022 RAM 3500 Nightmare

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
Hello all.

In 2021 I ordered a fully loaded (every option but the backup alarm) 2022 RAM 3500 Limited. I took possession in April of 2022 after waiting about 9 months. During this time, the dealer raised the price of the truck $10k. Since then, owning this rig has turned into a nightmare. In the past year and a half, the number of recalls and check engine lights I got is unbelievable. Also, my purchase experience at Rairdon's Dodge Chrysler Jeep of Monroe, WA was horrible. They lied about many things to sell add-on products like a ****ty, non-Mopar, extended warranty, even though they represented it as the official Mopar warranty. They lied about the factory warranty saying after 36K miles NOTHING is covered. Lies, lies, lies. Thank God I was able to get the money I spent on these items back.

So basically, I spent $110k cash on a truck that IMO is a piece of ****! Thus, I'm a little pissed. Within the first few months, I got several check engine lights. These were mostly associated with the stupid emissions system. I would take the rig into the dealer to get things checked out/fixed, only to have the CEL come on again in the parking lot as I was leaving. It's been back to the dealer about 6-8 times in the past year. At this point I now have my own ODB2 scanner so I can send screen shots of the codes in advance to the dealer before I go in. The last time I was there, the service rep told me, "Yup! We see that code all the time. We don't know what it is. Just clear it!" Unbelievable! This particular code, which I still get, is P2459 (Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency). I'm also constantly getting P2609 (Intake Air Heater System Performance). The truck just passed 36,000 miles. :rolleyes:

In the last two weeks things have become much worse. Two Fridays ago, I was coming down a hill and the Diesel Exhaust Break started making a horrible noise and the truck threw a CEL, P2262 (Turbo/Super Charger Boost Pressure Not Detected). I was able to solve this temporarily by turning the Exhaust Break off. Also, within a day or two of this happening, the TPMS system stopped working. I now get a warning every time the truck starts indicating the system needs service. I made an appointment at Rairdon Dodge again to have all this fixed. I drove the truck there last Wednesday. During the drive I had plenty of boost. The turbo was fine. Once they had the truck, I got a call after about 36 hours saying they found the problem. It was the boost pressure solenoid. Then, the next day I got another call saying the car needs a new turbo (a part that is on nation-wide backorder) and the truck is now "undrivable." So...I drove the truck there with a working turbo, only to have it fail during the work they were doing?? So, now the car is basically a huge piece of metal sitting on their lot waiting for a part that nobody can give me a timeframe for. What's worse is the people at Rairdon could give two ****s about this issue. I asked for a loaner car, they have none. After multiple calls they finally mentioned that I could call RAM and apply for a rental car re-imbursement. All I get form them is more lies. Between the level of total incompetence I've seen from this dealer and the insane lack of quality control from RAM, I'm beyond pissed! I'm about to sell this thing, take the loss and buy a 1 ton Ford. Never again will I ever purchase another RAM product or give this ****ty dealer any business.

For anyone considering purchasing a RAM, you've been warned. And, definitely don't give Rairdon's dealerships in Washington any business. These people have no moral compass! Pure evil!

Have a nice day!

-Brian

Truck with new wheels and tires.jpg

Last edited:

Jeeper93436

Reaction score
Can you go the lemon law route? I lemon law a 2020 Ford expedition and told my self I’m never buying a Ford so I feel your pain. I would really look into a GM HD.

flan

Reaction score
The parts associated with the codes you listed are covered past the 3/36k as they are emission related. Your TPMS system is only under the 3/36 though I believe.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Man that really sucks and I can totally understand your frustration. The issues you are describing with the truck can happen to any of the big 3 diesels. To me it sounds like you have more of a dealer problem. I know you said your truck is down right now, but have you at any point tried bringing it to a different dealer?

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
The parts associated with the codes you listed are covered past the 3/36k as they are emission related. Your TPMS system is only under the 3/36 though I believe.
This is correct. They are going to charge me about $250 for the TBMS. Not a big deal. Thanks for the reply.

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
Can you go the lemon law route? I lemon law a 2020 Ford expedition and told my self I’m never buying a Ford so I feel your pain. I would really look into a GM HD.
Unfortunately, I'm no longer eligible for the lemon law.

Eligibility:
  • Within 2 years from the original retail delivery date and
  • Before the vehicle reached 24,000 miles of operation.

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
Man that really sucks and I can totally understand your frustration. The issues you are describing with the truck can happen to any of the big 3 diesels. To me it sounds like you have more of a dealer problem. I know you said your truck is down right now, but have you at any point tried bringing it to a different dealer?
Good call. I'll call around to a few dealers and see what they can do. Thanks for the reply!

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
Doing some additional research, I have found several online parts companies who seem to have the turbo in stock. Not sure why the claim of a nation-wide shortage. I'll ask them if they've checked online. The service rep claimed they were going to need to "purchase" the part from another dealer. They are in the process of trying to find one... It's been a week. Seems their process is flawed. :rolleyes:

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
that is a terrible experience. Ive heard from some that 22's encountered more issues than other years. I know in my area which is cold..... the amount of 19s to 22s in the shop in the winter for def related issues is HUGE, myself included.... lost a TON of money last year for being down with def issues. as my truck is a welding rig as well.

I was also mad and had the urge to trade brands because i also received no help from ram care, and the dealership i bought it from "virden dodge" was nothing short of an absolute joke.

However! i am still 100% of the opinion that Ram has both ford and GM beat interior/performance wise from a towing aspect and i think a longevity aspect. My father inlaw has a 22 at4 duramax that is a great truck but also has had its share of problems, friend with a Ford limited 3500 srw with engine related issues and while a nice interior it still feels super plasticy.

What ive surmised is i don't really think it matters WHO we go with nowadays from the top 3, they will all have relatively the same issues because there wrought with so much technology of the exact same nature. Ive changed my focus personally to finding a dealership that appreciates my business and will work hard for me when things do go wrong, and i believe i have found one. I think i am trading my 22 5500 on an upgraded 24 3500 drw chassis cab to start "fresh" Granted.... finding a dealership that wont bend you over is certainly a rarity as well.

Personally I would start shopping again and try to find a reliable well known dealership and trade your truck off on another, and start fresh so its a good experience. Because frankly now that were paying well over 100k for these trucks i feel the experience should be second to none. On this forum ive heard nothing but good things about that Mark dodge i think its called? sounds like they even fly customers in to pickup their trucks.

i wish you the best of luck, your experience shouldnt be that way when buying a new truck, it should be a fun exciting experience. While i can say my experience wasnt as bad as yours, i can also sympathize how it feels to be jerked around after you sign the build papers.

JLines

Reaction score
I believe a lot of it is the dealers. I splurged on my last truck thinking it will be the last truck I ever buy before I die ... so got 22 3500 Limited with all the options for towing my 5th wheel. Most I ever spent on a vehicle in my life. I asked for dealer to install TPMS sensors and was told , "take it to your RV dealer for install of the sensors, they know just what to do". RV dealer told me sensors provided would not work so I took it back to dealer. A service manager took interest since he was looking at same options and got sensors installed and didn't charge me for the install. Then I took my 22 3500 Limited in for its first oil change and one of their employees hit the doorway with my front right fender. Less than 3,000 miles on it. Since it had the headlights that turn and there were marks on the front, the service manager told me they ordered the parts, but that the headlight would probably take months to get. Since it worked fine and was more cosmetic that was fine with me. After driving it with the damage for several months, I called to check on status and they couldn't even give me a status so service manager recommended doing the rest of the repairs and since headlight would just be a replacement, they would just install it when it came in. So I had repairs made ... but they didn't do some additional items they were going to do to make up for all the trouble. Service manager had been replaced and new one was always full of excuses. The body shop they were dealing with changed or couldn't be gotten ahold of ... the Clear Bra vendor ... same excuses ... the headlight ... still on backorder ... etc. After a year, of dealing with this I had long talk with them and service manager said they wanted to try "rubbing out" the scatches in the headlight ... so I let them just to be done with it and they did pretty much rub out. I can still tell where they were but only because I know where to look. Then the Clear Bra I had installed became an issue. Of course to rub out the headlight, they had to remove the Clear Bra. Again the excuses for a couple months before they finally took care of that. They would claim they weren't able to call the vendor and the vendor would tell me they never got a call ... so basically dealer lied.
Finally all the damage the dealer did had been repaired and I got recall notice about engine fires. Set up time to go in and after 3 days was told I could pick up my truck. On the way home the check engine light came on so I called and was told truck would be safe to drive so set up another appointment for them to look at check engine light. When I took it in while the truck was still in their reception area, they hooked up their scanner and then disappeared for a while. Eventually, my rep returned with a service man in tow. He looked under the truck and she came back to her computer to pull up the previous service ticket. It seems the recall required some changes to programming and adding a new sensor. They had updated the programming resulting in check engine light and never installed the sensor ... but the sensor was a restricted item where the dealer could only get one a week. So I was told the truck was safe to drive and just ignore the check engine light unless it starts flashing. So drove for at least three months that way following up every couple weeks and being given excuses. Finally, pointed out some logic ... you get one a week ... you must have waiting list for this part ... where am I on the list. I was put into direct contact with the parts department. Weekly phone calls asking where I was at on the list and telling them what they told me the week before finally got it done.
This is not just a problem with auto dealers ... I run into the same issues, if not worse, with my RV dealer. You look at the rates charged by the dealer for these services and you would think they could attract quality people.

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
I believe a lot of it is the dealers. I splurged on my last truck thinking it will be the last truck I ever buy before I die ... so got 22 3500 Limited with all the options for towing my 5th wheel. Most I ever spent on a vehicle in my life. I asked for dealer to install TPMS sensors and was told , "take it to your RV dealer for install of the sensors, they know just what to do". RV dealer told me sensors provided would not work so I took it back to dealer. A service manager took interest since he was looking at same options and got sensors installed and didn't charge me for the install. Then I took my 22 3500 Limited in for its first oil change and one of their employees hit the doorway with my front right fender. Less than 3,000 miles on it. Since it had the headlights that turn and there were marks on the front, the service manager told me they ordered the parts, but that the headlight would probably take months to get. Since it worked fine and was more cosmetic that was fine with me. After driving it with the damage for several months, I called to check on status and they couldn't even give me a status so service manager recommended doing the rest of the repairs and since headlight would just be a replacement, they would just install it when it came in. So I had repairs made ... but they didn't do some additional items they were going to do to make up for all the trouble. Service manager had been replaced and new one was always full of excuses. The body shop they were dealing with changed or couldn't be gotten ahold of ... the Clear Bra vendor ... same excuses ... the headlight ... still on backorder ... etc. After a year, of dealing with this I had long talk with them and service manager said they wanted to try "rubbing out" the scatches in the headlight ... so I let them just to be done with it and they did pretty much rub out. I can still tell where they were but only because I know where to look. Then the Clear Bra I had installed became an issue. Of course to rub out the headlight, they had to remove the Clear Bra. Again the excuses for a couple months before they finally took care of that. They would claim they weren't able to call the vendor and the vendor would tell me they never got a call ... so basically dealer lied.
Finally all the damage the dealer did had been repaired and I got recall notice about engine fires. Set up time to go in and after 3 days was told I could pick up my truck. On the way home the check engine light came on so I called and was told truck would be safe to drive so set up another appointment for them to look at check engine light. When I took it in while the truck was still in their reception area, they hooked up their scanner and then disappeared for a while. Eventually, my rep returned with a service man in tow. He looked under the truck and she came back to her computer to pull up the previous service ticket. It seems the recall required some changes to programming and adding a new sensor. They had updated the programming resulting in check engine light and never installed the sensor ... but the sensor was a restricted item where the dealer could only get one a week. So I was told the truck was safe to drive and just ignore the check engine light unless it starts flashing. So drove for at least three months that way following up every couple weeks and being given excuses. Finally, pointed out some logic ... you get one a week ... you must have waiting list for this part ... where am I on the list. I was put into direct contact with the parts department. Weekly phone calls asking where I was at on the list and telling them what they told me the week before finally got it done.
This is not just a problem with auto dealers ... I run into the same issues, if not worse, with my RV dealer. You look at the rates charged by the dealer for these services and you would think they could attract quality people.
I'm having the exact same issue with the check engine light. I also got the fire notice. Had an identical experience. This is beyond ridiculous! These companies are totally screwing us!

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
I just found a dealer in Oregon with a Turbo that would fit my truck. I let Rairdon know. We will see what they do with this information!

NewGTGuy

Reaction score
I just found a dealer in Oregon with a Turbo that would fit my truck. I let Rairdon know. We will see what they do with this information!
When I informed them of this, they now say they have a turbo in stock and the truck will be fixed this week. Interesting. This seems very odd to me. I met with the service advisor yesterday. No mention of this. We will see how it goes...

JLines

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue with the check engine light. I also got the fire notice. Had an identical experience. This is beyond ridiculous! These companies are totally screwing us!
Too top it off ... not only did they not install the sensor required by the recall ... my rep told me the service department didn't even order it or update the service ticket with the fact that they didn't install it so that the rep would know one needed to be ordered. It is extremely frustrating ... and it doesn't seem most of them even care. I know there are some ... but they now seem to be the exception. My wife took her car in for a recall and they checked ahead of time to ensure they had the part before they finalized the appointment ... they installed it quickly while she waited ... total different experience so I know it is possible for these companies to attract and retain good people. But with the bad dealers, like I mentioned, the service manager I originally had and appreciated disappeared ... and the "service rep" they try to assign you has changed several times so it seems the dealer is having trouble retaining good people.

Will_T

Reaction score
so it seems the dealer is having trouble retaining good people.
Yes some Ram dealers have this issue. Not sure if it is working environment or what. For the past couple of years our only local dealer has been at about 40% staffed on techs and many of those are still "training". Service writers at this dealership have high turnover also. If the dealership treats their employees like they treat their customers, that would be the cause.

Reactions: jak

wrvond

Reaction score
I had a perfectly good F350 dually that I purchased new in 2017. The Ford service departments in my area (four of them) destroyed my truck through their incompetence and lack of accountability. At one dealer the "tech" was more concerned about unplugging my dash cam than doing any work on my truck.
Fortunately I've only visited the service department of the dealership where I bought this truck but I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw. The sales side of the house did misrepresent several things and took advantage of my ignorance - such as the aforementioned non-Ram extended warranty vs. whatever it is I ended up with.

jebruns

Reaction score
Feel bad for you guys. Sure makes me value my local dealer though. At least I can say they've not screwed anything up yet.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
@ NewGtGUY - Yeah I've stayed clear of Rairdons and took my business to Enumclaw cjd as I also live in WA. Much better lower key experience. Smaller dealership and the staff are pleasant w/low turnover. I think there are decent dealerships out there and some that are a bunch of dbags that you need to stay clear of. Unfortunate experience.

Users who are viewing this thread