Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Semiconductor Shortages Forces Ram To Revise Some Packages For Heavy Duty Trucks!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

More Semiconductor Shortages Forces Ram To Revise Some Packages For Heavy Duty Trucks!​

Ram Will Revise Packages Next Month...​

1654033956640.png

As the ongoing semiconductor shortages continue, Ram is making more adjustments to its Ram Heavy Duty (2500 & 3500) ordering options. Thanks to our dealer connections, we have learned that semiconductor shortages have forced restrictions on those Heavy Duty trucks featuring either Digital Rearview Mirrors (GRG), or the Trailer Surround View Camera System (XN1), or both.

jwindstein

Reaction score
What if your order was already in before these changes take place? Will my 3500 longhorn not have the digital rearview? Order was placed in April. I’m sure with limited info it would be hard to be exact.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'm still P O'd about not getting the power fold convex adjustable mirror earlier in the year... It was high on my list but there for a bit (two/three months), Laramies did not have them and they put out a temporary Level C in place of their older (now back) level A package. The price difference was only about 700 bucks between the two while after market versions of the "power mirrors" are 2700 bucks parts only... So, at some point I figure someone will take my mirrors out and I'll just add to the insurance to get the after market versions from infotainment...if they even have them as they too apparently suffer from the chip shortage problem.

DougB

Reaction score
Yea thats not a good thing the cost will severely jump
Yep. And the chips used for things like power folding mirrors and digital mirrors aren’t built in the new 300mm fabs like TSMC and Samsung will build in the US. They are built on 200mm tools which are mainly Asian fabs. Those fabs are struggling to add capacity because 200mm equipment is hard to come by these days. The money is in the cutting edge 300mm tools.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
We can't have it both ways, made in the US and cheap labor doesn't go together. I still think it's better to make stuff here at home, support our workforce and don't depend on other countries (especially if we are not on the best terms).
The issue with making things in north America (mexico excluded) is there is nobody to do these jobs anymore its so hard finding workers anywhere its a wide spread issue so there will still be a labour shortage unless they offer ridiculous wages which gets transferred to the customer …. Thats just my view on things

71_340

Reaction score
I get what you saying about the worker shortage. What I don't understand is why we have a shortage??? Wages are up, plenty jobs are out there and, from what I understand, most hand outs have ended.

I wish I would have had those employment opportunities when I moved to the US in 1985.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
because fab capacity takes a fair amount of time to ramp up. fans didn't want to spend investment capital. 2ndary issue is the data center ai / ml explosion that started around covid, on new nm dies, and the removed then readded auto forecast that's in the older die. infra production took priority over auto. other impacts came along that just exasserbated the problems.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I get what you saying about the worker shortage. What I don't understand is why we have a shortage??? Wages are up, plenty jobs are out there and, from what I understand, most hand outs have ended.

I wish I would have had those employment opportunities when I moved to the US in 1985.
Shortage stated before the scamdemic its the younger generation not wanting to work also school systems pushing kids away from labour or trade jobs

DougB

Reaction score
because fab capacity takes a fair amount of time to ramp up. fans didn't want to spend investment capital. 2ndary issue is the data center ai / ml explosion that started around covid, on new nm dies, and the removed then readded auto forecast that's in the older die. infra production took priority over auto. other impacts came along that just exasserbated the problems.
Add in that new 300mm fabs are expensive as heck, too, so as they build more cutting edge fabs, they need the high profit margins of newest chips to pay for them. 200mm fabs margins aren't going to pay those bills.

TSMC's new AZ fab ~ $12B
Samsung's new TX fab ~ $17B
TSMC's new Taiwan 2nm fab ~ $33B

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
exactly. profit is driving a bit part of the issue. on the flip side, it's going to drive the auto industry to the smaller die products. eventually lol

sanda

Reaction score
I also don't understand the worker shortage. I keep seeing interviews on nightly news of homeless people whining they can't find a job. If you don't have a job now it's because you don't want one.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I also don't understand the worker shortage. I keep seeing interviews on nightly news of homeless people whining they can't find a job. If you don't have a job now it's because you don't want one.
Well to be fair almost every study i have read shows that the majority of homeless people when helped to get back on their feet end up back homeless in a short period of time. Its basically become a lifestyle choice for some as hard to believe as that is the homeless rehab facility here in our city proves just that

arx237

Reaction score
Its basically become a lifestyle choice
Nothing really new there just more profitable nowdays. Plus free drugs which I guess is nice if you are into that sort of thing. It had already been a career for a lot of folks when my parents moved us Cali in '84

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nothing really new there just more profitable nowdays. Plus free drugs which I guess is nice if you are into that sort of thing. It had already been a career for a lot of folks when my parents moved us Cali in '84
There maybe but i tell ya here in -40 idk how them fellers do it

Jrs

Reaction score
Semiconductors require metals from Africa, shipped to foundaries across the world, then stamped by factories in China, then shipped to Mexico where stellantis builds the Ram line, or USA/Canada where Ford/GM build, then the vehicles are shipped.

You can blame COVID, communism, the US for not pursuing technological independence from Taiwanese firms, Korea for not doing the same, shipping inefficiency, the US for allowing China to get a foothold in precious metal mining in Africa, or unfair global tax and trade practices.

But saying we don't have trucks because American kids don't want to make them just makes other impressionable people repeat it.

Our broken education system is not responsible for thousands of trucks awaiting 20 nm microchips so they can be shipped from Mexico.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Semiconductors require metals from Africa, shipped to foundaries across the world, then stamped by factories in China, then shipped to Mexico where stellantis builds the Ram line, or USA/Canada where Ford/GM build, then the vehicles are shipped.

You can blame COVID, communism, the US for not pursuing technological independence from Taiwanese firms, Korea for not doing the same, shipping inefficiency, the US for allowing China to get a foothold in precious metal mining in Africa, or unfair global tax and trade practices.

But saying we don't have trucks because American kids don't want to make them just makes other impressionable people repeat it.

Our broken education system is not responsible for thousands of trucks awaiting 20 nm microchips so they can be shipped from Mexico.
I agree, but disagree... have you hired some kids fresh out of school?...

Scary at best! Not all but the majority. Education, social media, and entertainment have screwed their minds of what is reality and work ethics.

We have a labor shortage... not because they are all geniuses but because we pay them to stay home... like I only studied to get a grade, not to learn. These kids only do the minimum and refuse to work. Education has taught them the government will take care of you

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Users who are viewing this thread