Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mismatched spare tire?

Skid51

Reaction score
Anyone with 37’s have experience running a 35“ spare? I imagine you’d be ok from a handling and safety perspective to use one to drive, temporarily and conservatively, to a tire shop but is there risk of grinding the rear LSD on dry pavement if rear tires are mismatched in size?

Enve46

Reaction score
Anyone with 37’s have experience running a 35“ spare? I imagine you’d be ok from a handling and safety perspective to use one to drive, temporarily and conservatively, to a tire shop but is there risk of grinding the rear LSD on dry pavement if rear tires are mismatched in size?
I would not run mismatched in the rear. Front temporarily will hurt far less

Nothotdog

Reaction score
I would not run mismatched in the rear. Front temporarily will hurt far less
I'm not quite at the point where I will get new tires, but I've been going back and forth between 35 and 37. Would you think there is a chance that a 37" spare would fit under the bed if it was deflated quite a bit (with the assumption that I have a solid compressor to air it up if/when needed)?

Enve46

Reaction score
I'm not quite at the point where I will get new tires, but I've been going back and forth between 35 and 37. Would you think there is a chance that a 37" spare would fit under the bed if it was deflated quite a bit (with the assumption that I have a solid compressor to air it up if/when needed)?
I do not know to be honest. My spare sits in the garage. I think some have gotten it to fit by removing the heat shield but if I remember correctly it’s the hitch you hit with a 35+

Nothotdog

Reaction score
I do not know to be honest. My spare sits in the garage. I think some have gotten it to fit by removing the heat shield but if I remember correctly it’s the hitch you hit with a 35+
Thanks! I'm thinking the play may be like you suggest, where if a rear tire fails, swap out a front tire and put the spare on the front.

Soapy

Reaction score
It was all we could do to get a 35 inch spare under the bed. 37s no way. If you go 37s get a 35 inch spare. You have a 50/50 shot that the front tire would go flat. Whichever tire goes flat run the off size on the front and don't run in 4x4 until you get it fixed.

el_barto

Reaction score
It was all we could do to get a 35 inch spare under the bed. 37s no way. If you go 37s get a 35 inch spare. You have a 50/50 shot that the front tire would go flat. Whichever tire goes flat run the off size on the front and don't run in 4x4 until you get it fixed.
On road, actually greater odds of a rear flat. Front tire rolls over sharp object that is laying flat and kicks it up, rear tire rolls over it as it’s bouncing and gets punctured

Offroad, I think higher odds of rear flat as well, since you pivot around rear tires it might be more likely to catch a sharp rock in the sidewall

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
On road, actually greater odds of a rear flat. Front tire rolls over sharp object that is laying flat and kicks it up, rear tire rolls over it as it’s bouncing and gets punctured

Offroad, I think higher odds of rear flat as well, since you pivot around rear tires it might be more likely to catch a sharp rock in the sidewall
More weight on the front helps the front get the puncture. I have yet to puncture a rear tire its always the front

el_barto

Reaction score
Please give us the exact percentage on rear vs. front flats.
X %F : 100-X %R

I honestly don’t know, it’s just what I’ve read and it makes sense. And On my bike I know I get WAY more rear flats than front flats.

Users who are viewing this thread