Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Measurement standards debate

CdnHO

Reaction score
Good catch didn't even take the time to check it why they would use imp gallons when its a north American vehicle
Imperial gallons was what Canada used before they implemented the idiotic metric system. I believe it was 20% larger than the US Gallon.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Imperial gallons was what Canada used before they implemented the idiotic metric system. I believe it was 20% larger than the US Gallon.
Im aware of that but the fact we dont use it anymore because of turdlows father i just assumed us gallons without thought lol

MEGA HO

Reaction score
That's the only good thing that came out of Turdeaus' time in the office.
Imperial /US is idiotic. There's no such thing "I believe it (imperial gallon) was 20% larger than the US gallon", with metric system. 1 liter is one liter, no matter which country. 1 meter is 100 centimeters is 1000 mm. 0 celsius is freezing, 100 is boiling, no nonsense. Just because your father/ granpa were talking miles pounds and gallons and you're used to it, doesn't make metric system idiotic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

delmoniCO

Reaction score
Imperial /US is idiotic. There's no such thing "I believe it (imperial gallon) was 20% larger than the US gallon", with metric system. 1 liter is one liter, no matter which country. 1 meter is 100 centimeters is 1000 mm. 0 celsius is freezing, 100 is boiling, no nonsense. Just because your father/ granpa were talking miles pounds and gallons and you're used to it, doesn't make metric system idiotic.

not to derail the thread but this x100. NOT using metric is idiotic and puts the US in company with very few countries in the world that are not on metric. I think its the US, Liberia, and Myanmar (and sometimes UK). That's it. not exactly great company.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Regardless of US landing on a moon or not, there's no excuse not to use metric system.

delmoniCO

Reaction score
How many of them non-idiotic countries have put a man on the moon? :D

Obviously none.

However:

And why / how people can't seem to comprehend a base 10 system of measurements is beyond me.

Pronto

Reaction score
And why / how people can't seem to comprehend a base 10 system of measurements is beyond me.

That's beyond you? I thought that you had already established it was because they were idiotic. :) But I'm not sure why you think people can't understand a base 10 system since I'm sure one of your arguments for adopting such a system is its simplicity.

Pronto

Reaction score
Mea culpa. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just started out pointing out the specs posted were in imperial gallons.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone can debate here as much as your heart desires. However, please also keep it civil and forego the insults.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here is why i prefer standard over metric

easier to quickly see each 1/6 and know your dimension than counting each same size little tic for the metric side... and the rare times i get metric drawings i convert them its rare i even have a metric tape in the shop... its just how we roll in my trade.... i use KM’s and Celsius but thats about it lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 15

CdnHO

Reaction score

No, I was taught miles, pounds and gallons in school. Yeah, I am THAT old. So I don't like the metric system, especially when this country's closest neighbor doesn use metric. Happy for you that you do. I am happy that I can change the system units in the truck when I drive in the US which I do a LOT. LOL

Squatch

Reaction score
You know what you know (or what you were taught)...they both work fine, just don’t translate very easily. If that map was flipped and we used metric and the rest of the world used imperial we would still be having the same argument. Can we go back to measuring people’s weight in stone?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
No, I was taught miles, pounds and gallons in school. Yeah, I am THAT old. So I don't like the metric system, especially when this country's closest neighbor doesn use metric. Happy for you that you do. I am happy that I can change the system units in the truck when I drive in the US which I do a LOT. LOL
Yeah like I said, just because you're not used to it, doesn't make it idiotic.
1L of water is 1kg, when someone said 100 litters, that's about how much volume my body takes (since humans are mostly made of water) so I have a pretty good visual representation of how big is 100 litter tank, or 200 liters... There is no direct correlation between the volume and weight in US/imperial, it's all decimals.
Yes I use the US system as well just because a lot of things (building materials for example) use it, this however doesn't make it a good system.

Users who are viewing this thread