Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max tire size questions stock wheels/lift

dragon_ram

Reaction score
So you don't want the max tire size without rubbing. Sorry, my senior moment made me miss that.

You want the widest possible tire, which will rub. I get it now.

I do like raised white letter tires though.

Can not wait to see what you get.
Dude, thank you for being so courteous to this cat despite his tone. Look forward to more of your posts.

I’m looking to add 285/75R18 on the stock 2019 2500 Laramie wheels (+43 offset) with stock suspension. You saying this will have slight run at full lock but no other concerns (for example, at top or bottom compression while pulling a load)?

Some have said the 2019 fitment is the same for 4th gens, but aren’t the brakes bigger? I feel after some research that a 17” wheel won’t fit the 2019+

If you had nothing good too add, why comment at all??? Your sense of humor or lack of doesn’t concern me.

Bro, no reason to be caustic to another member just looking to chime in - you could just not say anything...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I like this fitment guide (example). You can use the suspension clearance as the clearance you have to the radius arm at full lock to get an idea if you'll get any rub there. The only other rub will be fenders/mudflaps..

Here's a good video that someone else posted here recently. These guys claim up to 35x12.5 on any size wheel will not rub or may slightly contact depending on the actual tire dimensions and construction. YMMV.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel after some research that a 17” wheel won’t fit the 2019+
Powerwagon still comes standard with 17" wheels.

The 5th Gen you speak of is the 1500. The HeavyDuty is considered the 4.5 Gen. It is a 4th Gen in many aspects. It did get a bunch of new stuff but is still alot the same.

I havent heard this yet with the HeavyDuty...but the 1500 can not use 17". The Rebel 18" are the smallest wheel you can use. Most aftermarket 18" wheels will not work on the 1500. The 1500 got the much bigger brakes.

I am pretty sure the base tradesman HeavyDuty still gets 17" wheels too

I do not get excited. People have different ways of communicating. The first thing a person needs to do on the internet is not to take anyone seriously. Life will be a lot more happier.

Someone who rubs you the wrong way may be the guy who helps you with your issue tomorrow

Last edited:

jared43758

Reaction score
there no way to know my tone in text.
and “bro” you could also just keep your mouth shut and not chime in but here we are
Dude, thank you for being so courteous to this cat despite his tone. Look forward to more of your posts.

I’m looking to add 285/75R18 on the stock 2019 2500 Laramie wheels (+43 offset) with stock suspension. You saying this will have slight run at full lock but no other concerns (for example, at top or bottom compression while pulling a load)?

Some have said the 2019 fitment is the same for 4th gens, but aren’t the brakes bigger? I feel after some research that a 17” wheel won’t fit the 2019+

Bro, no reason to be caustic to another member just looking to chime in - you could just not say anything...

dragon_ram

Reaction score
Powerwagon still comes standard with 17" wheels.

The 5th Gen you speak of is the 1500. The HeavyDuty is considered the 4.5 Gen. It is a 4th Gen in many aspects. It did get a bunch of new stuff but is still alot the same.

I havent heard this yet with the HeavyDuty...but the 1500 can not use 17". The Rebel 18" are the smallest wheel you can use. Most aftermarket 18" wheels will not work on the 1500. The 1500 got the much bigger brakes.

I am pretty sure the base tradesman HeavyDuty still gets 17" wheels too

I do not get excited. People have different ways of communicating. The first thing a person needs to do on the internet is not to take anyone seriously. Life will be a lot more happier.

Someone who rubs you the wrong way may be the guy who helps you with your issue tomorrow
So in essence I can peruse 4th gen HD wheel/tire combos and those should work for the 4.5 gen too? I’d love to drop down to a 17” wheel with 35s...

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I am almost 100% certain the Powerwagon 17" wheels and the tradesman 17" wheels are the exact same as 2018. I do not believe the caliper size was changed on the HeavyDuty.

The 1500 got bigger brakes and an extra lug (from 5 to 6). And that is what I believe you were reading in regards to a 17" wheel not working.

I would venture to guess any wheel that fits a 2018 HeavyDuty will fit the 2019/20

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure just the DRW HD's got bigger brakes in the rear for 2019/2020. Otherwise still 14" rotors.

Much to the chagrin of DRW owners looking to put on custom wheels, they also got a change in lug spacing (via an adapter) JUST FOR THE REAR so that now the F/R are different. IIRC the lug issue is due to the step up to a 4" axle tube with the 12" AAM rear and not related to the bigger brakes. The SRW trucks have the same rear end but the axle is necked down.

Users who are viewing this thread