Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manual Latch Tailgate Conversion ?

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Anyone do a mod to convert the tailgate from the actuators into the old style manual latch/handle? This last weekend had 3 yards of pea gravel in the back of the truck and the bloody tailgate refused to open. I could hear the actuators clicking but it refused to budge. Google says this is a known issue but warranty will just have the dealerships clean and grease the latches. I have never had this issue with my old 2010 tailgate.

Thanks all for any suggestions that are not "stop putting so much weight in a working truck"

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I've had mine stick a couple of times when something heavy shifted up against it while driving. I've managed to unstick it each time by pushing on it, then unlatching. I'm sure that's easier said than done with almost 9,000 pounds of gravel in the bed, but if you could move some away from the tailgate, maybe an option?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Anyone do a mod to convert the tailgate from the actuators into the old style manual latch/handle? This last weekend had 3 yards of pea gravel in the back of the truck and the bloody tailgate refused to open. I could hear the actuators clicking but it refused to budge. Google says this is a known issue but warranty will just have the dealerships clean and grease the latches. I have never had this issue with my old 2010 tailgate.

Thanks all for any suggestions that are not "stop putting so much weight in a working truck"
The manual release handle from the 4th gen is too small for the current handle hole.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I've had mine stick a couple of times when something heavy shifted up against it while driving. I've managed to unstick it each time by pushing on it, then unlatching. I'm sure that's easier said than done with almost 9,000 pounds of gravel in the bed, but if you could move some away from the tailgate, maybe an option?
Holy ****, I didn’t put two and two together. I don’t blame the tailgate for sticking. Poor truck.

el_barto

Reaction score
Yikes, Even a 2wd reg cab Hemi dually 3500 has a max payload of about 7500lbs

I’ve overloaded my Power Wagon, but damn…9k in the bed…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
At 2.5 yards the gravel would be spilling over the sides of an 8ft box….. you need to push on the tailgate when to much weight is against it…. If it were a manual latch it would probably snap the handle with that much weight

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
We ended up shoveling a bunch of it from beside the tailgate until it finally dropped ... Was rather annoying because in previous trucks it was just drop and go

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I know it is a bit more involved than just changing out the handle, but it looks like with a little cutting and welding, you could modify a 4th gen tailgate with manual latch to work.

Along the same lines of this mod for a 5th wheel tailgate.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
The manual release handle from the 4th gen is too small for the current handle hole.
And the older tailgates have a different male/female slot on the bottom for disconnecting it

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Yikes, Even a 2wd reg cab Hemi dually 3500 has a max payload of about 7500lbs

I’ve overloaded my Power Wagon, but damn…9k in the bed…
Truck was fine ... nose up a bit, but aside from the tailgate, took the punishment like a champ

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
I know it is a bit more involved than just changing out the handle, but it looks like with a little cutting and welding, you could modify a 4th gen tailgate with manual latch to work.

Along the same lines of this mod for a 5th wheel tailgate.
That is exactly what i was thinking of, except with a standard tailgate ... like a 2010 tailgate on the back of a 2019

Users who are viewing this thread