Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luverne Prowler Max grille guard?

MoparMom

Reaction score
Anyone using this product? Its the only one I have found so far that says it retains the factory tow hooks and is winch compatible.

I like the idea of the step, as well.

Would love to hear some real world reviews.

John Jensen

Reaction score
There are several others that retain factory tow hooks, Ranch Hand and Steelcraft come to mind. There are others that I found, but have since deleted the names.
I installed a Rancher because it has, IMO, the strongest mounts and does not have those top brackets that go over the bumper. Their mounts include built in two hooks, however, not as strong as factory

MoparMom

Reaction score
Thank for the reply, John. I am looking at Blackhorse and Steelecraft because they, too, retain the factory tow hooks. This is important to me as I specifically ordered this option for the truck. The other two manufacturers, however, do not have a winch mount option, should that be something that is wanted in the future. That step feature looks pretty useful, too.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Yep, the winch mount option quickly narrows the field

Reaction score
@MoparMom
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just finished installing the Prowler max on my limited 2500. Seems fairly sturdy. I decided to go this route as I wanted a pretty flat veritcal uprights that have the flat stock top to bottom covered in the rubber pads as that's what I was used to on my charger pursuit. I tend to use them to help push cars out of/through the snow or off the road if they get break down.

Only thing I may likely change is eventually cutting out some of the perforated screen to allow the camera to see but right now it's not that big of an issue to me. If you happen to have front parking sensors, this grille guard is not compatible.

I think it looks killer and the mounts seem pretty beefy to me. It took about 3 hours to install by myself with the help of my motorcycle jack to get the grille guard itself in place to bolt onto the mounts.

20220708_205040.jpg20220708_205030.jpg20220708_203306.jpg
20220708_203314.jpg

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Only thing I may likely change is eventually cutting out some of the perforated screen to allow the camera to see but right now it's not that big of an issue to me. If you happen to have front parking sensors, this grille guard is not compatible.

I like the looks of this one and I like the idea of the step.....but it does look like they could make a "B" model with a hole punched for the front camera. With my lack of DIY ability in my old age I would just booger it up trying to cut one myself.

Reaction score
I like the looks of this one and I like the idea of the step.....but it does look like they could make a "B" model with a hole punched for the front camera. With my lack of DIY ability in my old age I would just booger it up trying to cut one myself.
I agree that a "B" model should be available for the camera, I would also have liked if there was another tube that comes across the bottom of the bumper then 90s up to tie into the top guard covering the lights similar to the model they have available for the Chevy trucks along with the sensor relocation kits they have for other makes.

copcarguy

Reaction score
That looks awesome! Very similar uprights to a Setina…

John Jensen

Reaction score
There are several guards that have a demountable section for the front camera view.
Here's the Ranch Hand view

03a-Chris Ranch Hand Front Camera-1.jpeg

My Rancher has a solid screen, here is my view

Rancher - Front Camera-5.jpg

MoparMom

Reaction score
@MoparMom
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just finished installing the Prowler max on my limited 2500. Seems fairly sturdy. I decided to go this route as I wanted a pretty flat veritcal uprights that have the flat stock top to bottom covered in the rubber pads as that's what I was used to on my charger pursuit. I tend to use them to help push cars out of/through the snow or off the road if they get break down.

I think it looks killer and the mounts seem pretty beefy to me. It took about 3 hours to install by myself with the help of my motorcycle jack to get the grille guard itself in place to bolt onto the mounts.

View attachment 40853View attachment 40854View attachment 40855
View attachment 40856
Thank you for updating with pictures. That looks awesome on your truck!

I had considered some "customization" as well, so please send pictures if you take that step.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thank you for updating with pictures. That looks awesome on your truck!

I had considered some "customization" as well, so please send pictures if you take that step.
I added a camera to the front of my Rancher guard.

Front Camera Extension Mount-View 1.jpg

Front Camera Extension-View 1.jpg

762fmj

Reaction score
Anyone use the Luverne guard along with the sensor relocation kit for park sensors?

Reaction score
Anyone use the Luverne guard along with the sensor relocation kit for park sensors?
I couldn't find where they are currently offering that as a kit at least for the Prowler max guards yet like they have for some older guards.

762fmj

Reaction score
I couldn't find where they are currently offering that as a kit at least for the Prowler max guards yet like they have for some older guards.
You're right, I did not realize they did not have one for our trucks. Wonder if it's possible to source the harness extensions separately and then just make up a bracket.

towpig

Reaction score
@MoparMom

View attachment 40853View attachment 40854View attachment 40855
View attachment 40856
Hey, is there any room on that lower cross tube (at the bottom of the mesh) to install fog lights with a round tube clamp? or are there mounting holes on that tube? I just purchased one of these and I'm waiting for it to arrive and thought I'd start figuring out my lighting options for this bar and I'm trying to figure out how I would get it on that tubular cross bar but it looks like the mesh is either welded or runs right along the bar which might make it difficult to put some tube clamps on it for lights. Let me know what you can tell me and if you can get some pics of it that would be amazing! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hey, is there any room on that lower cross tube (at the bottom of the mesh) to install fog lights with a round tube clamp? or are there mounting holes on that tube? I just purchased one of these and I'm waiting for it to arrive and thought I'd start figuring out my lighting options for this bar and I'm trying to figure out how I would get it on that tubular cross bar but it looks like the mesh is either welded or runs right along the bar which might make it difficult to put some tube clamps on it for lights. Let me know what you can tell me and if you can get some pics of it that would be amazing! Thanks in advanced.
I know you are referring to a different guard. But if you look at my Rancher guard in post #11 you will see that the bottom support is not a pipe. It's a flat step, perfect for mounting lights. If you go with a guard that uses a pipe for the bottom step, there are several mounts that will fit/clamp around the pipe.

towpig

Reaction score
I ordered the Luverne prowler max (same as the one on the white truck in this thread) which also has the flat step but with the Canadian winters and driving through brush I’m worried I’m going to ruin whatever lights I mount down there. I think it’s best I get them higher up at bumper level plus I do intend to use the step for climbing into the engine bay and I don’t want to be maneuvering around fog lights while doing so.

Anyone mount lights to the prowler max grille guard? What did you do?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread