Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowering 2024, 2500 4x4 6.4 Big Horn

nozzzzz

Reaction score
For all the experts out there that have tried about everything, would it work if I contacted CSS and had them build me 2 inch lower springs to drop the tail of my truck and level it?
As its 4WD I know there are concerns.
I only need the 2 inches drop.
I know a bunch will hate this but I am not a lift guy and this truck rides a bit higher than I would actually like it.
I do some towing but not a lot.
I changed my springs out in my previous 1500 2wd via CSS and had then add a bunch of re coil, weight tolerance to them even at the 2 inch lower height.
Really made the 1500 ride far better, especially in corners for sway on of the rear end.
Added Timbren bump stops rated at 8000lbs as well.
I would really like to have the truck 4 inches lower and level but I know that is likely pushing too far for non drive train work.
I would be happy with the tail dropping two inches and learn to like the higher ride.
If that can be done in the springs alone and not having to make any serious drive train adjustments, that would be great.
Please advise?

THNX

thecastle

Reaction score
I'm not into visual mods, just stating my bias (performance is another matter). Lowering it by that much will require new shocks as well, as you will significantly change their operating range and the amount of damping force from stiffer springs. Typically most lowering springs are stiffer to compensate for less suspension travel which combined with changed stock operating range will wear out the stock shocks in no time. I agree leveling/lifting makes the truck handle worse. I see folks all the time who lower and blow their factory shocks and go down the freeway constantly bouncing.. Changing the drivetrain alignment 2" is not going to be an immediate issue unless you have a some milage. If new just don't expect everything to last as long. 4" as you already know is way outside of the factory operating range.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dropping the rear 2” wont affect the shocks thats just comical the only issue is when raising the vehicle on a hoist the springs will not stay fully seated (they wont leave the coil buckets) There are a couple options on springs out there if you do a search there are a few threads here on it

thecastle

Reaction score
Dropping the rear 2” wont affect the shocks thats just comical the only issue is when raising the vehicle on a hoist the springs will not stay fully seated (they wont leave the coil buckets) There are a couple options on springs out there if you do a search there are a few threads here on it
So changing ride height doesn't affect shock life? Tell me more. Learning true facts from the internet every day. So companies who sell replacement shocks for 2" altered ride heigh are unnecessary? Lowering is the same as lifting, in terms of altering your shock travel range, i/e your taking the shock out of its optimal functioning range. Here is another opinion https://www.shocksurplus.com/blogs/shocks-101/lowering-springs-and-factory-shocks-a-doomed-romance

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So changing ride height doesn't affect shock life? Tell me more. Learning true facts from the internet every day. So companies who sell replacement shocks for 2" altered ride heigh are unnecessary? Lowering is the same as lifting, in terms of altering your shock travel range, i/e your taking the shock out of its optimal functioning range. Here is another opinion https://www.shocksurplus.com/blogs/shocks-101/lowering-springs-and-factory-shocks-a-doomed-romance
If he were changing the bump stops and changing the range that would be true but the range he is in is still in the factory operating range. By your standards any truck that keeps a trailer on should run different shocks too….. even if what you were saying to be true it would still make more sence running the OEM shocks until they wore out instead of blindly replacing them

nozzzzz

Reaction score
I'm not into visual mods, just stating my bias (performance is another matter). Lowering it by that much will require new shocks as well, as you will significantly change their operating range and the amount of damping force from stiffer springs. Typically most lowering springs are stiffer to compensate for less suspension travel which combined with changed stock operating range will wear out the stock shocks in no time. I agree leveling/lifting makes the truck handle worse. I see folks all the time who lower and blow their factory shocks and go down the freeway constantly bouncing.. Changing the drivetrain alignment 2" is not going to be an immediate issue unless you have a some milage. If new just don't expect everything to last as long. 4" as you already know is way outside of the factory operating range.
Any further understanding of Drive stress and wear would be appreciated?
Have some saying that at that little change, and the length of the vehicle as opposed to say a Jeep, will be of little if any issue.
I would rather err on the side of safety and no concerns as I have none now.
This is the way I would rather go to level as it worked well on the 1500 but that was also 2WD.
What I don't understand much is the 4WD and any real issues that I will create making a two inch rear drop in the spring.
I know CSS can build them as I have spoken to them but did not really discuss with them any concerns as there were none on the 1500, if anything as mentioned, it got better handling with no felt or known issues in the drive train. Again, 2WD.

nozzzzz

Reaction score
If he were changing the bump stops and changing the range that would be true but the range he is in is still in the factory operating range. By your standards any truck that keeps a trailer on should run different shocks too….. even if what you were saying to be true it would still make more sence running the OEM shocks until they wore out instead of blindly replacing them
Kind of my thoughts.
Am not a mechanic by any stretch but have owned and changed a bunch of vehicles over the years, no issues....
I don't change things much relative to suspension side, really overall, just some small stuff like wheels, wider tires, exhaust as deep is nice, intake as more air is good, I just prefer vehicles to be a bit lower in stance as I like the feel of vehicles closer to the ground as opposed to higher.
My sense tells me when I'm riding in higher vehicles that the balance of the vehicle is leaning or swaying when making turns, especially at highway speed and relatively sharp.
My reason for going to the Forum is to get all relevant opinions and hopefully some who have actually made these changes.
I hate being a skeptic but not all shops feed you the info you are looking for as much as the info they want to feed you.
If the stock shocks go out in 50-100K miles that is ok in my mind, I will then upgrade to something more appropriate for the modification.
If its 5000-10000 miles, then its more an issue but I did the same mod on my 1500 and it was actually better feeling to me.
Not significantly lower but enough to level and having CSS build up the recoil/strength/weight bearing of the springs, made the truck firmer, which is ok with me in a truck.
To me a truck is a "Truck", firm, a bit bumpy, not a car.
I hate the feel of soft trucks to be honest and can say pretty much the same in cars as my Challenger is quite firm for obvious reasons and I love that feel, especially when cornering.
As also mentioned, in my 1500, I upgraded the bumps via Timbren to near 8000lbs. Between the firmer rears and the bumps, I never had an issue with significantly higher payloads or heavy trailers with the exception of the tow capabilities of the 1500 with the 5.7, hence the change to the 6.4 in the 2500.
I know the diesel guys are cringing right now but I don't pull that much and that heavy, just didn't like the feeling that the 5.7 was laboring a bit, especially into the wind or up hills.
I really appreciate all the comments, discussion and suggestions to this point.
Hopefully a few more will jump in and if I'm lucky, someone who is a lowering guy like me>
Again, not a low rider guy but lower than the height of the current 2500 4x4..........
I'll get into some performance questions in performance threads as I'm sure that will be even more interesting.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Due to softer springs the coil sprung 2500’s ride as high, or higher, than other configurations of HD Rams empty so they can handle the load when applied.

The 2500’s have 2” of drop available in the stock components, but you will bottom out easier so I would look into airbags or air springs for hauling loads.

If the 2” lower coils are softer/longer than the OEM coils you may have to swap out sway bar end links as you could droop more than the OEM ones will handle.

Have you looked into Timber Grove rear drop kits? They offer 1.5” and 3” rear drop airbags that replace the OEM coils. Per Ram’s spec sheets the coil spring 2500’s ride 2.5“ higher empty than the air sprung trucks in alternate ride height. So 3” may ride a little butt low, and may not. Certainly something I’d call Timber Grove about.

I’m not aware of any front lowering springs for the 4x4’s, but they may exist. It’s awfully tight up there thou, and why soft ride coils all have lift. Maybe just get a heavy bumper, lol.

Last edited:

nozzzzz

Reaction score
Appreciate the link. Lot's of good information. Lot's to still consider. Trying to keep it fairly simple, not affect the suspension characteristics of the truck but also not to add on things I really don't need either. Done that too much in the past, hence going to the forum before the shop.
If I knew the mechanics, techs well, that's one thing but being a suspicious old guy, conspiracist, getting all my info from a tech or shop I have not visited, worked with is a concern.
Spoke to three local Ram service centers today and got three different answers, proving my point.

nozzzzz

Reaction score
Due to softer springs the coil sprung 2500’s ride as high, or higher, than other configurations of HD Rams empty so they can handle the load when applied.

The 2500’s have 2” of drop available in the stock components, but you will bottom out easier so I would look into airbags or air springs for hauling loads.

If the 2” lower coils are softer/longer than the OEM coils you may have to swap out sway bar end links as you could droop more than the OEM ones will handle.

Have you looked into Timber Grove rear drop kits? They offer 1.5” and 3” rear drop airbags that replace the OEM coils. Per Ram’s spec sheets the coil spring 2500’s ride 2.5“ higher empty than the air sprung trucks in alternate ride height. So 3” may ride a little butt low, and may not. Certainly something I’d call Timber Grove about.

I’m not aware of any front lowering springs for the 4x4’s, but they may exist. It’s awfully tight up there thou, and why soft ride coils all have lift. Maybe just get a heavy bumper, lol.

THNX
Will definitely check these out. Are they $1044 each or as a set?
Never used airbags before as I have had no issues getting CSS to beef up the shorter springs in the past.
Maybe because I'm not making drastic changes at 2 inches, just not sure.
I've had people suggest bags before but never really went there as the spring route was far less. and seems to work, especially since I don't put that kind of weight behind it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
THNX
Will definitely check these out. Are they $1044 each or as a set?
Never used airbags before as I have had no issues getting CSS to beef up the shorter springs in the past.
Maybe because I'm not making drastic changes at 2 inches, just not sure.
I've had people suggest bags before but never really went there as the spring route was far less. and seems to work, especially since I don't put that kind of weight behind it.
That should be for the pair, plus however you control them.

I’m a big fan of air as it’s a super easy way to adjust spring rate for the same ride height.

nozzzzz

Reaction score
That should be for the pair, plus however you control them.

I’m a big fan of air as it’s a super easy way to adjust spring rate for the same ride height.
Makes sense over springs on adjustability as well........
Can get CSS to build the springs needed for general purposes but the bags can be adjusted to a much wider range.
Will have to discuss with them about the 1.5 vs 3 inch drop option as several have mentioned the growing concerns with more and more lowering.
The difference between the 1.5 vs 3 would be easy to see visually but the 0.5 to 1 inch difference between stock and either of these would be almost in perceptible, especially the 0.5 inch lowering.
That would get it very close to the front end where the 3 would be lower though it would be less perceptible than the 2 inches it is now........
I believe it is 2 inches difference between the front and rear in stock configuration.

THNX

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple friends with CC SB 4th and 4.5 gen 2500 Hemi’s. 3” front levels have them appear dead level, empty.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Send Steve at Timber Grove a Message. He has been very responsive and will give you good information on your needs.

nozzzzz

Reaction score
I’ve got a couple friends with CC SB 4th and 4.5 gen 2500 Hemi’s. 3” front levels have them appear dead level, empty.
THNX
Trying to keep away from going up....
Truck is already too high and if I put 35 inch tires on it will go up another 1.5 inch over stock already...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
THNX
Trying to keep away from going up....
Truck is already too high and if I put 35 inch tires on it will go up another 1.5 inch over stock already...

Correct, I was just pointing out that a common level I see is 3” up front on a CC SB Hemi. So 3” down in the rear would have the same level stance, just lower.

35’s won’t raise you 1.5”, you only gain 1/2” the diameter increase in height.

Firebird

Reaction score
I reverse leveled my 2019 Ram 1500, but haven't done that on one of my HD trucks. I had fallen off a roof, and couldn't physically get up into the bed, so it worked well for me. Got the springs from Accessory Partners, don't know if they have any for HD Ram. The whole swap out took my son 45 minutes, and kept the factory shocks

Users who are viewing this thread