Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low fuel warning

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Tyvm Tom. So the big picture in the center goes out after a few seconds and the little can light on the lt stays on, correct???
Yes. The image that the red arrow is pointing to only pops up for a few seconds, then goes away so you can still monitor whatever you originally have set for that screen. The one that the green arrow is pointing to will remain lit until you fuel up past the threshold that triggers it.
EGRpUqD.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yes. The image that the red arrow is pointing to only pops up for a few seconds, then goes away so you can still monitor whatever you originally have set for that screen. The one that the green arrow is pointing to will remain lit until you fuel up past the threshold that triggers it.
EGRpUqD.jpg
perfect , thank you for the detail . Based off of this description, does everyone's low fuel system work as hemi, Tom, & Jimmy have explained.
Also, does anyone have knowledge on the 50 gal tank. Is it a true 50 then more for the fill tube or is it less than 50 plus fill tube to equal 50.
Also, does anyone have insider info on how much the fill tube will hold based off of diameter and length.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
perfect , thank you for the detail . Based off of this description, does everyone's low fuel system work as hemi, Tom, & Jimmy have explained.
Also, does anyone have knowledge on the 50 gal tank. Is it a true 50 then more for the fill tube or is it less than 50 plus fill tube to equal 50.
Also, does anyone have insider info on how much the fill tube will hold based off of diameter and length.

Based on my past experiences with fuel tanks, Most fuel tanks allow a small amount of space for expansion (Air Space). Just like the attached labels on the outside of the fuel tanks on a semi. I assume (yes I know what that does) you may have a gallon of air space not including the filler neck. In other words I would think you might be able to over fill it reducing your air/expansion space... I am not an expert and this is my take on it so I could be wrong.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Yep, just like that and I don't plan to ever see it again. I've always been leery of running any fuel tank below a quarter, regardless of the specs or how accurate the indicating system is. Don't matter if it's 31 gals or 50 gals. I will never trip plan to use up all the avail fuel in a tank, unless I bring extra. That said, the capacity of filler tube is irrelevant.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yep, just like that and I don't plan to ever see it again. I've always been leery of running any fuel tank below a quarter, regardless of the specs or how accurate the indicating system is. Don't matter if it's 31 gals or 50 gals. I will never trip plan to use up all the avail fuel in a tank, unless I bring extra. That said, the capacity of filler tube is irrelevant.
the reason why I bring up filter tube capacity is because if In fact the 50 gal has room for expansion and it will hold 50.75 gal and filter tube hypothetically holds 1.25 gal and I put 49 gal in. That's a 3 gal difference wich is right on the cusp of the low fuel light wich didn't come on for me. That would explain it if we knew there was 52 gal capacity from fuel pick up to spill over.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I notice in the BCM
the reason why I bring up filter tube capacity is because if In fact the 50 gal has room for expansion and it will hold 50.75 gal and filter tube hypothetically holds 1.25 gal and I put 49 gal in. That's a 3 gal difference wich is right on the cusp of the low fuel light wich didn't come on for me. That would explain it if we knew there was 52 gal capacity from fuel pick up to spill over.

You need another hobby Rich. :p

mlink

Reaction score
Just want to throw this in. I have seen that on several sites, the 50gal tank being referred to the 52 gal tank. If true, that could explain your issue. Anyone else run into this??

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just want to throw this in. I have seen that on several sites, the 50gal tank being referred to the 52 gal tank. If true, that could explain your issue. Anyone else run into this??
If true, that would explain allot. Like i stated, when I put 49 gal in, it was dead on the red e line, where i know most vehicles dip below the line onto the letter e

carlrx7

Reaction score
Just run it out of fuel and report back. :p;)

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just run it out of fuel and report back. :p;)
Ughhh no. All though I did read in the manual the other day on how to start one if you run out of fuel. I guess that would be the only way to find out how many gallons are In tank and tube but I won't be the one to intentionall try it. Now if it was a gasser, than i wouldn't hesitate to do it

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
Similar but slightly different topic.
I have the little baby tank and it must be shaped like a triangle with a point/tip down because when I get to the quarter tank mark; I better get going in the direction of a fuel station! My fuel runs out quicker on the last quarter than any other vehicle I have ever been around. I'm going to have to determine what my range is at a given MPG for the first quarter (full down to 3/4) versus the last because it goes QUICK.

Users who are viewing this thread