Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loss of Power

FishermanJer

Reaction score
I didn't replace air filter yet. it didn't need it. I replaced the Fuel Filters and oil change.

FishermanJer

Reaction score
Reminds me of my 47RE days when the governor pressure solenoid would go out. It wouldn’t kick down to a lower gear like it should when you get hard into the accelerator pedal.
How did you fix that?

flan

Reaction score
How did you fix that?
So the fix was a replacement solenoid kit. Dnj components made a upgrade kit with a more reliable solenoid. I’m not sure this is your problem as these transmissions are decades apart.
Just reminds me of the good ol days. Maybe someone more wiser can chime in if these parts are still in use today.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I believe that the fix is the Banks Pedal Monster.

My truck does not suffer from this very often, and now that I am aware of the issue, I try to drive accordingly. If it starts to happen more often, then i will install the Pedal Monster.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If the fuel filters are good, and properly installed, then the fix is a trip to the dealer. It's a new truck, and shouldn't be slowing to 30 with full throttle.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Which mopar engine air filter did you install:

68517554AA

Or

53034051AB

Or

Aftermarket

?
AA bought them way before this became an issue. Installed it a few weeks ago. No issues so far but did keep the original just in case.

baker01

Reaction score
The Pedal Monster will not fix this issue, this is more than pedal lag. If it does it again prior to getting it to the dealer, you can try forcing a downshift with the "Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation". See your owners manual for detailes. It won't fix the issue but could give you a better idea of where the issue is.

Aketay

Reaction score
Lost power this week, I can make 6psi boost in any gear with the pedal to the mat. It actually runs pretty good when your turbo is toast. New turbo next Tuesday.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
AA bought them way before this became an issue. Installed it a few weeks ago. No issues so far but did keep the original just in case.
That is the incorrect filter for a 2019+ Cummins truck. And they have shown multiple times to chase a lack of power or throttle response, as well as P0299 turbocharger underboost codes, and even more frequent regeneration cycles.

The air filter is the first thing to rectify moving forward. I would highly recommend changing it to a mopar 53034051AB or a Fleetguard AF27684

Then see if that helps the issue you’re experiencing.IMG_3421.jpegIMG_3422.jpeg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the incorrect filter for a 2019+ Cummins truck. And they have shown multiple times to chase a lack of power or throttle response, as well as P0299 turbocharger underboost codes, and even more frequent regeneration cycles.

The air filter is the first thing to rectify moving forward. I would highly recommend changing it to a mopar 53034051AB or a Fleetguard AF27684

Then see if that helps the issue you’re experiencing.View attachment 62732View attachment 62733
Which air filter brand / number was installed when you had the issue?

We got off on a tangent somewhere with @CdnHO . The OP says he hasn’t replaced the air filter yet, I take that as the OE one is still installed.

The OP doesn’t appear to be having an air filter issue. The truck will tell you when the air filter is restricted, long before it limits speed to 30 mph uphill.

It’s acting more like a fuel delivery issue, but could be programming/computer, transmission, turbo related… or something else.

The lack of a downshift and lack of a CEL makes me think it’s a computer issue.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
We got off on a tangent somewhere with @CdnHO . The OP says he hasn’t replaced the air filter yet, I take that as the OE one is still installed.

The OP doesn’t appear to be having an air filter issue. The truck will tell you when the air filter is restricted, long before it limits speed to 30 mph uphill.

It’s acting more like a fuel delivery issue, but could be programming/computer, transmission, turbo related… or something else.

That might have been my fault. I saw the AA filter reference and got lost. Either way that’s a known filter for underboost codes / slow throttle response. I lived it. My 2022 Ho was gutless off the line with that filter installed.

The OP’s truck is a 2021, you’d think it would have at least one filter change on it by now, unless the truck sits a lot.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That might have been my fault. I saw the AA filter reference and got lost. Either way that’s a known filter for underboost codes / slow throttle response. I lived it. My 2022 Ho was gutless off the line with that filter installed.

The OP’s truck is a 2021, you’d think it would have at least one filter change on it by now, unless the truck sits a lot.

Yeah it’s easy to do with all the air filter issues.

I would have also thought the OP would have changed the air filter by now, if not by miles at least by months.. maybe it was a late 21 purchase.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s easy to do with all the air filter issues.

I would have also thought the OP would have changed the air filter by now, if not by miles at least by months.. maybe it was a late 21 purchase.
Agreed. And from the description it sounds like turbo lag / underboost….

CdnHO

Reaction score

My bad. :eek:;)

Users who are viewing this thread