Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for snow plow recommendations

jmekeel

Reaction score
Whether you plow or don’t, living in the northeast we are all exposed to the salty road conditions. They spray liquid solution on the roads before it snows now to prevent the snow from sticking and to accelerate the melting process. I travel several hours north to go snowmobiling and by the time I reach camp my blue truck is white from the salt solution. once a week I wash the truck and spray underneath to clean the salt off. I have never had any issues with premature rusting. Every truck that I have owned since 1992 has had a plow on it, I never had a rusting issue.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Whether you plow or don’t, living in the northeast we are all exposed to the salty road conditions. They spray liquid solution on the roads before it snows now to prevent the snow from sticking and to accelerate the melting process. I travel several hours north to go snowmobiling and by the time I reach camp my blue truck is white from the salt solution. once a week I wash the truck and spray underneath to clean the salt off. I have never had any issues with premature rusting. Every truck that I have owned since 1992 has had a plow on it, I never had a rusting issue.
From my experience , comparing a vehicle that was totally dedicated to plowing vs a daily driver that never plowed was obvious on rusting. The plow vehicle was older, but it was surprising to me.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that had more to do with the use of the truck than it having a plow on it.

In Pennsylvania you are not allowed to plow on roads, so that scenario would not happen.

And the OP is only doing his own driveway.

The old rusted plow truck is probably because it served its duty only in winter and wasn't washed properly while earning its keep.

I get what you are saying, but I see no way that the plow would spray more salt on the truck...if anything less.

But, I am quite possibly wrong.

Now, causing extra wear on front end components, I will agree with that...but only if abused.

Heckyl

Reaction score
I would say that had more to do with the use of the truck than it having a plow on it.

In Pennsylvania you are not allowed to plow on roads, so that scenario would not happen.

And the OP is only doing his own driveway.

The old rusted plow truck is probably because it served its duty only in winter and wasn't washed properly while earning its keep.

I get what you are saying, but I see no way that the plow would spray more salt on the truck...of anything less.

But, I am quite possibly wrong.

Now, causing extra were on front end components, I will agree with that...but only if abused.

Wow

Geno

Reaction score
I am putting a 8.5 foot western poly v on my 19 2500 big Horn night edition. I cant pick up new truck until Friday as that is when they can install plow. I’ve been waiting 3 weeks. I can’t afford to be down a plow truck though. Trading in my ‘15 Chevy 2500 Ltz with hinicker poly v. I love the hinicker but what a pain to hook up. Western is so much simpler. I do like the hinicker control better as there are fewer buttons. I had the hinicker on my ‘06 Cummins so it has been a good plow just is a pain to hook up.

Reactions: jb2

sf81

Reaction score
I debated getting a plow for my long driveway on my last 2500 and again with my new '19 Laramie. It certainly would make snow cleanup quicker. I have a few tight areas at the top of my driveway that using a truck is difficult to maneuver so I went with a front loader mounted plow on my John Deere 1025. I think people tell horror stories about plowing wear and tear on trucks which could be true, but if you're plowing just your driveway you should have few concerns. I'm not well versed enough in plows but if I were you I would get one with the easiest mounting system and lightweight since you arent using it commercially.

espey34

Reaction score
I have a 7’6” power v on my 19 PW
1f12e5d640cb1a9833b5cc2502e3554f.jpg
c0d952233a7ece1979ae2232a75822c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

espey34

Reaction score
Awesome! Any issue with the weight of the plow since it's a PW? Any modifications needed?

It definitely sags quite a bit. I have about 1000 lbs ballast in the bed which seems to help quite a bit. I’m adding wing extensions this week which will add another 100lbs so I’ll probably to a levelling kit and maybe some front air bags eventually.

As for the mods. The air dam had to be notched for the push beam and I had to have 3/8” taken off the outer winch mounts and some longer metric bolts for those mounts to work properly with the undercarriage side plates.

Overall it was a nice easy install and as a bonus my truck had the upfitter wiring as well so everything works as it should! I’ve heard older power wagons didn’t come equipped with this wiring in the past so I was thrilled!!

heavyg603

Reaction score
I'm putting my 2yo Fisher XLS on my new 3500 Hemi whenever it gets here. Its coming off a 2008 FORD F250. IMHO Ram has it way over Ford on the prep package and especially the fit up ease. As far as premature rusting I cant say plowing has any special rust risk if your truck is properly set up and protected. I have a tailgate sander as well and spread treated salt too, only rusting is on the sander iteself (why dont they just use stainless I have no idea). Just opt for proper undercoating, wash regularly and you'll be just fine.

gmdog2

Reaction score
Hello all, was wondering if any pics of the air dam area as I’m looking at a Boss or Western. Thx in advance

heavyg603

Reaction score
Hello all, was wondering if any pics of the air dam area as I’m looking at a Boss or Western. Thx in advance

Just plan on taking off the air damn. It’s better than cutting it up.

Users who are viewing this thread