Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for snow plow recommendations

Fierodough

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 Laramie Cummins with the snow plow prep package.

What snow plow would be compatible with this truck? Preferably one that does not require trimming the front bumper or altering the truck in any way. (Other than mounting the bracket).

To add some context, I have a large driveway. It’s for personal use only, nothing commercial.

Thanks!

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I am also interested. I am debating installing a plow on my new truck vs. buying an older used truck with a plow.

D

Deleted member 80

Have you spoken to any installers? Most sell multiple brands, so they should be able to give some insight.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
I've been lurking around this site with a possible purchase of a HD but was trying to decide between a Power Wagon or Laramie with Off Road Package. I also may want a plow, but as a newbie, sites are pretty confusing with regards to purchasing and installation of plows. I am also getting negative results of placing a plow on a PW, mostly due to suspension (I'm assuming).

We can't be the one's looking into a plow for a 2019 but I just don't see too much info out there.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Plows for trucks have been hampered by the warranty abusers.

Some manufacturers won't allow on a truck with sun roof. Some only on a regular cab truck. Most have to do with the added payload and front GAWR.

The Powerwagon would probably plow great and be fine...but the plow setup would probably put you over payload and would be close to GAWR. And the soft suspension and the possibility of someone disconnecting the sway bar is probably part of it as well.

Some interesting talk about plows. Obviously the issue of mounting isn't a problem with the 2019 HD trucks, but they may be just a bit different than a 2018.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
Plows for trucks have been hampered by the warranty abusers.

Some manufacturers won't allow on a truck with sun roof. Some only on a regular cab truck. Most have to do with the added payload and front GAWR.

The Powerwagon would probably plow great and be fine...but the plow setup would probably put you over payload and would be close to GAWR. And the soft suspension and the possibility of someone disconnecting the sway bar is probably part of it as well.

Thanks for your reply. Totally understand the issue with the PW and GAWR but what do you mean about the sway bar and plow? Are you saying that the weight of the plow plus a disconnected sway bar could do damage?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, I was just stating reasons why they reccomend against it.

For instance. You used to be able to put the front windows down with the key fob. Awesome thing for hot days at the end of work. Had to do away with it because people who didn't understand would wind their windows down and of course, it wasn't their fault it was the companies.

If that makes sense to the conversation.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Anyone install a plow yet? I have two dealers near me, one does Boss and Snow Dogg, the other does Western. The Boss/SnowDogg Dealer highly recommends the SnowDogg, he said Boss used to be his go to and the SnowDogg was for customers that wanted a high quality low cost plow, but with some of the changes SnowDogg has made, he told me he thinks they are very comperable. He is an excellent dealer that also sells used plows. The Western dealer also seems to be pretty decent, they don't hold much stock for plows at this location though. I really like the Western mounting system though, very low profile, and very easy hookup. Since I will only be doing my own driveway, dealer delays wont be that big of deal, and I can always call my dad or father-in-law if absolutely needed.

followme2DQ

Reaction score
I love my 8'6" western poly V plow. I had it on my '13 2500, and will be installing it on my '19. My '19 2500 is quad cab with the snow chief package, and i added the extra alternator. I don't plow commercially, just my driveway and the Dairy Queen lot.

However, there was a production issue withe the truck side under carriage for the '19 rams. My local dealer said mid November for availability. I was able to find it online, an ordered one. It is being installed November 5th. I will post pictures after install.

Being from Buffalo, NY, I did not want to risk the install any later in the season.

AKDoug

Reaction score
I run a Meyer 8'6" Lot Pro on my other truck. I'm going to set it up on my '19 Tradesman soon. Once you use the hands free feature of the Meyer it is really tough to go back to a plow where I have to hit the up and down switch on every pass.

jman

Reaction score
Any pics of your plow set ups guys? Did they remove the air dam to install it?

Heckyl

Reaction score
I am also interested. I am debating installing a plow on my new truck vs. buying an older used truck with a plow.

If you are planning on plowing anything that has been salted, you will prematurely rust your entire truck. I would personally go with old truck unless you can avoid the salt.

jmekeel

Reaction score
Fisher 8.5' V Plow or Straight, don't have any pictures. I only had to cut one foot, to each side of the center line of the bottom air dam.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
If you are planning on plowing anything that has been salted, you will prematurely rust your entire truck.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, how much more prematurely is it going to rust vs. daily driving it all winter on salted roads and parking lots? The only plow trucks that I've seen prematurely rusted are also running salters.

Heckyl

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, how much more prematurely is it going to rust vs. daily driving it all winter on salted roads and parking lots? The only plow trucks that I've seen prematurely rusted are also running salters.

When you are plowing, it sprays the salty slush and water underneath the truck and in the engine compartment much much more than just driving on salty roads.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
When I plowed, the snow went the direction you had the plow turned and was never near the truck.

If you went too fast and it was powder it may blow over the plow and onto the hood.

Usually you plow the snow away and then add salt after.

The plow is about 2 to 4 feet in front of the truck.

But it has been awhile since I have plowed, maybe I just didn't think about it.

Heckyl

Reaction score
I was just talking about plowing salty roads like my first post said.

Users who are viewing this thread