Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited slip=yes, friction modifier.....yes and no

jetrinka

Reaction score
Is the limited slip in the 3500 also a non-clutch style?

el_barto

Reaction score
Is the limited slip in the 3500 also a non-clutch style?
No, I believe we have determined the “anti-spin” rear diff in “regular” 2019+ 2500s and 3500s is clutch-type.

Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
Open front diff is probably better.
I ran a lunch box locker in the front diff on my Blazer. Made it hard to turn in the sand dunes. :D
Yes front locker should be used with extreme discretion. A locked front the truck drives where it wants to, you lose a lot of steering control.
The Ford tremor has an LSD front.... I imagine it might be a handful driving that the snow. That said, an lsd doesn’t lock the two sides of the axle 50/50 like a true locker.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yes front locker should be used with extreme discretion. A locked front the truck drives where it wants to, you lose a lot of steering control.
The Ford tremor has an LSD front.... I imagine it might be a handful driving that the snow. That said, an lsd doesn’t lock the two sides of the axle 50/50 like a true locker.
Selectable front is very nice for road manners and off-road capabilities. I broke my front ring and pinion and Spartan in my Toyota and went to a spool for strength and now my arms are the weak link. Lol.

Negative. Front is open+e-locker. Rear is LSD+e-locker.
cool thanks

jadmt

Reaction score
Selectable front is very nice for road manners and off-road capabilities. I broke my front ring and pinion and Spartan in my Toyota and went to a spool for strength and now my arms are the weak link. Lol.

cool thanks
it is also nice if you are running 37's and only have a 35" spare. you can run the spare up front with no apparent issues (I have not done it so hopefully it is not kicking your traction control on) other than probably dash lights. I really like the rear lsd and locker but it limits you to running the same size tire on both sides. It is nice being able to have your rear locker locked and front unlocked when offroad needing to steer in certain conditions. Your spool would be a handful in some situations no doubt like steep shelf roads where it is trying to steer you where it wants to go not where you wanted it to go :)

el_barto

Reaction score
how much gear oil does our rearend take?
also amsoil says 75/140, redline says 75/85?
Just to answer this:
Mopar fluid is 75W85.I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. Close enough, and lots of people run this weight in their Ram axles.
I Bought 7 qts. Used about 2.5 for the front and about 3.5 for the rear. Better to have a bit extra than be just short of enough when filling. Plus I have an extra quart I ever need to top off for whatever reason(loose some fluid when installing rear diff guard, etc)

2powerwagons

Reaction score
Over the years, the general consensus has been that it makes no difference if you run fluid with a modifier in the PW diffs.

Users who are viewing this thread