Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited slip=yes, friction modifier.....yes and no

desert_wagon

Reaction score
May as well do your transmission while you're at it.

Out of curiosity I called me dealer for the front and rear diff. They wanted $440 lol. I'll be doing it myself. Wish our diffs had a drain plug like my cars always had.
Trans, yeah good point, but the dealership will be doing that one. The aisin sealed transmissions are a big pain in the ass when it comes to filling correctly.

el_barto

Reaction score
Edit: as discussed later in this thread, the below(original posting) is not true for 2019+ HDs. There is a Clutch based lsd in 2019+ Rams other than Power Wagon.

Yes. AAM GT differential is used on all other 2500s with the “anti-spin” , which is helical gear just like the GTL, just no e-locker

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Trans, yeah good point, but the dealership will be doing that one. The aisin sealed transmissions are a big pain in the ass when it comes to filling correctly.
6r80 in the ford has to be checked/filled at operating temp and the little fill plug/ finger-length dip stick is about 2” from the catalytic converter lol.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yes. AAM GT differential is used on all other 2500s with the “anti-spin” , which is helical gear just like the GTL, just no e-locker
Thanks for the clarification. I would’ve gone by the manual which I believe, as stated earlier, says to use additive.

el_barto

Reaction score
Yeah, again I don’t think it would hurt to add the additive...would quiet it down if it makes noises... but based on what AAM says, and the type of LSD... it is not needed

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
FWIW the ZF specifies the fluid in the 8HP transmission be changed every 50k-75k miles, or Max 8 year interval if mileage not reached.
The Pan is plastic and has an integrated filter. The Pan needs to be replaced when the fluid is replaced.
The oil is pretty pricey and the filling process very specific, but my understanding is it is DIY-able.

Yes, I've had lots of cars with the ZF8. They are probably the most widely used trans. Problem, if you can call it that, is that I've never owned any of my cars long enough to do the trans fluid in them. The PW will be a different story I think. There are a few vids on youtube of people doing the ZF8 fluid.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Wow, and to think that I have never Done a diff fluid change before 75k..........ever, unless doing a break in with a new setup. I do not schedule them earlier than 75k unless possible contamination from water submersion, etc.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
bts, I haven't changed my rear diff fluid in my '20 Tradesman yet, but was under the impression that Ram changed to the AAM clutch LSD in the '19 and newer models. Has anyone actually seen and confirmed the LSD type in the latest gen 2500's? I much prefer the Torsen style gear LSDs, but never seem to have luck with OEM stuff...

el_barto

Reaction score
Source? I have not heard that, and would be surprised since it’s the 9.25 front and 11.5 rear axles

2manyprojects

Reaction score
Not sure if this is kosher to post, but from another forum:

Ram forum thread on Ram 2500/3500 LSD types

I still haven't found something I consider definitive, but have seen pics of at least two 2019 OEM rear diffs that were clutch-type. I'm a few weeks away from having a chance to open mine up and see for sure... I also noticed the AEV rear diff cover fits 2010-2018 2500/3500's, as well as 2019+ Power Wagons, but not 2019+ 2500/3500's. Surprising hard to find a straight answer on this, and pushing me toward an ARB for my Tradesman.

Squatch

Reaction score
My 2019 3500 with LSD requires the additive per the owners manual.
AE184A65-A265-4E41-BC0A-62B84841FD0F.jpeg

el_barto

Reaction score
Not sure if this is kosher to post, but from another forum:

Ram forum thread on Ram 2500/3500 LSD types

I still haven't found something I consider definitive, but have seen pics of at least two 2019 OEM rear diffs that were clutch-type. I'm a few weeks away from having a chance to open mine up and see for sure... I also noticed the AEV rear diff cover fits 2010-2018 2500/3500's, as well as 2019+ Power Wagons, but not 2019+ 2500/3500's. Surprising hard to find a straight answer on this, and pushing me toward an ARB for my Tradesman.
Well shoot... that’s surprising. I’m curious if the Power Wagon is actually still the AAM GTL (helical gear LSD + locker) or if it’s clutch type LSD as well now.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Seems the Power Wagon may still have the gear driven LSD. Other trims have switched to clutch packs. I probably have another 4-6 months on my PW before I do my diff fluids to confirm.

That's a good point about the AEV rear diff cover. I noticed that too, but didn't think much of it since I have a PW haha.

Last edited:

2manyprojects

Reaction score
I'm guessing it was a cost cutting measure to switch to the AAM TracRite PC (clutch LSD) for the non-PW anti-spin differentials. I've also seen reference to the 2500/3500 rear axle housing being "beefed up", which might explain the different cover configuration, but have yet to quantify that.

I haven't seen anything to indicate the PW moved away from the GTL, but I do see AAM offers an EL locking diff, which is an open/electric locker. Either way, the locking function is the critical feature for your PW's. I've never driven a vehicle with the GTL diff in the rear, but have had both rear air locker and Detroit Trutrac Torsen rear diff in Toyotas for years. I actually prefer the full open / locker combination, mostly due to daily driving in the winter on snow/ice when I lived in the upper midwest. I liked having both units, but found the gear LSD Trutrac "twitchy" , in that it would briefly spin then catch kicking the rear out periodically on ice. That said, I'd still take a GTL in a minute...

el_barto

Reaction score
The AAM EL is what the PW has in the front.

I emailed Yukon gear a semi-related question about regearing a 2019 PW and just got a response back with the following info...

“The FRONT uses the same gears and carrier as all the rest of the powerwagons.
The REAR is all new, has a larger 32 spline pinion, different carrier, different axles etc. nothing interchanges with the older applications in the back.”

2manyprojects

Reaction score
So, said another way, the 9.25 front axle in both PW and 2500/3500 is the same and hasn't changed since 2014. The rear 11.5 axle was changed in 2019 and components are incompatible with 2018 and prior. I'm confused that AEV is saying their rear diff cover will fit 2019+ Power Wagons, but not regular 2500/3500 newer than 2018.

Sorry, I'm in the weeds here, but similarly trying to get clarity as I am planning an upgrade to front/rear lockers and possibly gears in the future and want to know what my options are.

Users who are viewing this thread