Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

MackMan

Reaction score
I bought a Grand Design 311BHS that is stand 11,200 bare and 13,999 gross. My RAM 2500 and Reese Goosebox (adds $1,800 to trailer cost) pulls it like a champ.

I love my truck, the thing is a freaking beast. I also love my Grand Design, that thing is sex on wheels!
c1c87a97bbdccc7a9978602d3eb2446d.jpg
41f4799ba850e5f125fc961ace8bb597.jpg
19b30f94a44c72ced2823fe8ce22d9ee.jpg
5177373facf9bff249850208c93a3bf8.jpg
f4d6d20dfa4b583710d7a87d685c83ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was looking at that model actually! Wasn’t sure if it’d be too much or not. Gotta start saving my pennies for next years expo and hope they make an appearance there haha.

Also looked at the 28BH or something like that but didn’t like how the bunks were right as you walked in the door. So if my wife and I are outside after the kiddos (9 & 2) go to sleep we have to sneak by them to get to our room. The 31BH was super nice and on my list to check out for sure.

Love your setup, looks awesome!

Did your truck come with the fifth wheel setup already or did you add the gooseneck ball setup after?

Lary0071

Reaction score
I was looking at that model actually! Wasn’t sure if it’d be too much or not. Gotta start saving my pennies for next years expo and hope they make an appearance there haha.

Also looked at the 28BH or something like that but didn’t like how the bunks were right as you walked in the door. So if my wife and I are outside after the kiddos (9 & 2) go to sleep we have to sneak by them to get to our room. The 31BH was super nice and on my list to check out for sure.

Did your truck come with the fifth wheel setup already or did you add the gooseneck ball setup after?
Mine has the fiver bed kit from the factory. I use a ball and Goosebox.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a Grand Design 311BHS that is stand 11,200 bare and 13,999 gross. My RAM 2500 and Reese Goosebox (adds $1,800 to trailer cost) pulls it like a champ.

I love my truck, the thing is a freaking beast. I also love my Grand Design, that thing is sex on wheels!

Did yours come with Goodyear tires?

I pulled off the chinabombs and put the Endurance tires on right from the dealer. Put them on my boat trailer too.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Did yours come with Goodyear tires?

I pulled off the chinabombs and put the Endurance tires on right from the dealer. Put them on my boat trailer too.
While it doesn't have the actual Castle Rock "China Bomb", it also does not have the Goodyear. My wife already knows that we will be swapping to the Kenda Karrier.... The tire I've been running for years now on my equipment trailers.

For the summer, mine is in a seasonal site. I have until November to I'm pulling it and getting ready for a major trip to Kissimmee Florida from here in Pittsburgh. My wife despises that I want to replace new tires, but honestly.... I'll sell them on Craigslist for $400 or $500 and that will pay at least half of what I'll pay for the Kenda tires.

Reaction score
While it doesn't have the actual Castle Rock "China Bomb", it also does not have the Goodyear. My wife already knows that we will be swapping to the Kenda Karrier.... The tire I've been running for years now on my equipment trailers.

For the summer, mine is in a seasonal site. I have until November to I'm pulling it and getting ready for a major trip to Kissimmee Florida from here in Pittsburgh. My wife despises that I want to replace new tires, but honestly.... I'll sell them on Craigslist for $400 or $500 and that will pay at least half of what I'll pay for the Kenda tires.

She’ll only despite it until you have a blow out, then her tune will change real quick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Yep. I sold my 5 Westlakes for $400 on CL to a guy putting them on an enclosed car trailer and he knew what he was buying. They had 35 miles plus whatever the haul from Indiana to Denver was. My net cost to put on 5 GY tires was $340.

I sold my 4 brand new Firestone Transforce on FB marketplace for $500 before I even had them dismounted. Had 500 miles on them. Net cost for 5 Falken 35" tires about $700.

I sold my 2500 on FB marketplace after a few weeks of soft selling there and Nextdoor only. That one had 72K on it and needed tires. :D

geektoad

Reaction score
Didn't take pictures of the backhoe, but we did a French drain today.

Then unloaded and went to my brother in law's to pick up his project F150 beater-to-streeter.... And took it to get some wiring done.
5fb7812ff457f97e426d8e0c28648ef2.jpg
202b7bc04b20a53edb4fba6cef158574.jpg
e7343273cb3e6c890ef853260b8f689d.jpg

Right where a ford belongs... :D

NordicNevs

Reaction score

c1c87a97bbdccc7a9978602d3eb2446d.jpg
41f4799ba850e5f125fc961ace8bb597.jpg
5177373facf9bff249850208c93a3bf8.jpg
f4d6d20dfa4b583710d7a87d685c83ce.jpg

Must be flat where you go?

Lary0071

Reaction score
Must be flat where you go?

Flat as in Western PA. I think the difference between me and some is that I'm okay going up the side of a mountain at a casual speed. I know, with a 1050 Lb/ft PowerStroke you can speed up that same mountain... But I've been there and done that. I'm so over the diesel thing that I don't think there is anything that they could go that would convince me to ever go back.

I can appreciate those who love and desire the additional power of the diesel. It's an addiction. But I've attended the meetings and been clean of the diesel addiction since 2012.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Flat as in Western PA. I think the difference between me and some is that I'm okay going up the side of a mountain at a casual speed. I know, with a 1050 Lb/ft PowerStroke you can speed up that same mountain... But I've been there and done that. I'm so over the diesel thing that I don't think there is anything that they could go that would convince me to ever go back.

I can appreciate those who love and desire the additional power of the diesel. It's an addiction. But I've attended the meetings and been clean of the diesel addiction since 2012.

Well your payload aside that configuration wouldn’t work out here. PA is flat even if it has a few hills compared to out this way. I’m knocking on my payloads door with my rig but the exhaust brake and torque is my money maker.
Not convincing you to switch as it works for you but after feeling this trailer with my 3500, it’s not a “small” rig relatively speaking and given the terrain in the Rockies idk how I would feel about the 6.4 configuration.

TFL has a video coming out soon on this topic but we will see their thoughts but to each their own.

That aside safe travels.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

How many steps? Asking for a friend.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Your brother must be a good sport to let you do that and give him crap about it.

You do give him crap right?

:p
I tried to get him to pose in front of his Ford on the trailer while I took the photos... He ran like a little girl who just got stung by a wasp

But yes, we get along pretty well.

Lary0071

Reaction score
General rules for life:

Never discuss politics, religion, the second amendment, truck brands or about diesel vs gas trucks.

These are all subjects that most folks are far too emotionally invested in to be able to discuss calmly with others that have opposing opinions.

Stick to that basic set of rules and you'll get along with and least 90 if the humans you interact with.

orlando bull

Reaction score

Highland Ridge also makes lighter fivers with tall slides. I'm only 6'4" and that was a big deal for me. May want to look at them.

Real reason for my response was... when we had our TT, it could not cool in the FL heat with 1 15k AC. I ended up getting a window unit mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood that I could put in a window and run an extension cord to the pedestal to run it separate from the TT electric. This allowed me a little bit of a backup if the 30A tripped a breaker while we were gone and the dogs were in the camper. If you have 50A, you're probably fine, just a thought if your TT is 30A.

MackMan

Reaction score
Highland Ridge also makes lighter fivers with tall slides. I'm only 6'4" and that was a big deal for me. May want to look at them.

Real reason for my response was... when we had our TT, it could not cool in the FL heat with 1 15k AC. I ended up getting a window unit mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood that I could put in a window and run an extension cord to the pedestal to run it separate from the TT electric. This allowed me a little bit of a backup if the 30A tripped a breaker while we were gone and the dogs were in the camper. If you have 50A, you're probably fine, just a thought if your TT is 30A.

Good to know! I will check out the highland ridge models. Yeah ours is 50A but I did toss around the idea of a portable unit as well. I heard I can get my second AC unit installed (not ducted) for a little over $1k so that is probably the route I’m going to go for long term ease of use.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If you have a good experience with a tire that's a testament to their capability and I'd probably stick with it in that case too.

The thing I like about the GY Endurance is the slightly higher load capacity (and there's also a 235/85R16 size that's even higher rated and a bit taller) and that even as an ST rated trailer tire they are speed rated to 87MPH instead of the usual 65MPH. IMHO, that 65MPH ST rating is where lots of (not all) folks get into trouble with blowouts and blame them on chinabombs. They're running 75MPH or higher and the tire's heating up and letting go. I will say that the difference in sidewall strength (by feel) was much stronger in the GY than the Westies.

Users who are viewing this thread