Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see those power wagons

UglyViking

Reaction score
The AMP steps are easy. Tie into power at the battery. Then it uses a adapter and plugs into the OBD port under the dash. No other connections. You can download the manual from AMP.
Yes, but there is a very real chance that as the electrical changes were going on, the BCM programming also changed, which means that if you plug in a set of amp steps it may not work, or it may, I don't know.

What I do know, is that currently there is no selection for a 2023 RAM anything on AMPs site. Now that could be because their website hasn't updated yet, or it could be because they haven't verified yet, or it could be because they attempted to verify and realized that the programming changes for the 2023 trucks. All are possible.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Biggest thing to find is the door ajar signal.
Or make your own.
For the older units that dont use the OBD connection, they tap in to the door ajar signal from the door switch.
That's the way it was done on my '04 Chevy and '01 Ford.

Cor86

Reaction score
I know factory steps are an option on other trim levels, might be standard on Limiteds, but not an option on Power Wagons. I can look at build codes and see. I have access to the build code sheets for any and all Stellantis vehicles. 2023 is goofy, the Rebel and Power Wagon share a build code sheet, and it looked like you could get the steps with a Power Wagon, but my salesman couldn’t add them. Maybe with a paper order? Idk what changes would’ve been made, other than the mirrors and digital cluster. Auto power folding mirrors is now available in the settings, which is cool, they fold when you lock it. My steps just showed up today, and I’m hoping to install them this weekend or next.

jsalbre

Reaction score
But if his 2023 has them, and they were installed by his dealer (I don’t think they are available from factory), that would help show otherwise.
Mine are OEM and came from the factory. There is no kit for the dealer to add them to an HD; there hasn’t been for the entire generation. It requires some custom wiring harnesses and programming that most dealers can’t do.

Edit to add: The wiring isn’t that complicated to do yourself. If you want the OEM boards there’s a thread here on how to DIY them.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes, but there is a very real chance that as the electrical changes were going on, the BCM programming also changed, which means that if you plug in a set of amp steps it may not work, or it may, I don't know.

What I do know, is that currently there is no selection for a 2023 RAM anything on AMPs site. Now that could be because their website hasn't updated yet, or it could be because they haven't verified yet, or it could be because they attempted to verify and realized that the programming changes for the 2023 trucks. All are possible.
The signal on the OBD port hasn’t changed. They’re just saying “no” until they test it, or someone else does and shows them.

Cor86

Reaction score
And for what it’s worth, the Borla exhaust and Mopar Rambox divider kit that I ordered didn’t show 2023 in the fitment guide, and no tire shop’s website will show 35-37” tires fitting. Ram’s website shows power running boards as an option on Rebels, and IIRC, the build code sheet exceptions were other running boards, but they’re not an option on Ram’s website for PWs or whatever web based system dealerships use, at least not when I ordered mine, but I couldn’t add the tracer decals either.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Mine are OEM and came from the factory. There is no kit for the dealer to add them to an HD; there hasn’t been for the entire generation. It requires some custom wiring harnesses and programming that most dealers can’t do.

Edit to add: The wiring isn’t that complicated to do yourself. If you want the OEM boards there’s a thread here on how to DIY them.
Wait - yours is a 2023 Rebel? If so, that's the difference - Rebels can spec power running boards from the build sheet, Power Wagons cannot. I was viewing this on the app and assumed you had a Power Wagon (given this is the Power Wagon forum category).

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Sweet! Sounds awesome, can’t wait to see the finished product!
This is what they did with my last truck (AEV did the major upfitting, Nuthouse did the slide/rack/RTT/coiling cover). All aluminum, impeccable work.

Attachments

• IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5328.jpeg
    IMG_5328.jpeg
    752.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5329.jpeg
    IMG_5329.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 128

jsalbre

Reaction score
Wait - yours is a 2023 Rebel? If so, that's the difference - Rebels can spec power running boards from the build sheet, Power Wagons cannot. I was viewing this on the app and assumed you had a Power Wagon (given this is the Power Wagon forum category).
Yes, it’s a Rebel. I was just clarifying that your dealer is wrong, nothing has changed for 2023. The power steps weren’t available for prior year Power Wagons either, but it wasn’t and still isn’t a compatibility issue, it’s just that Ram doesn’t let you option them on the build. There’s no difference between the Rebel and the PW other than suspension, sway bar, and a locker. The Rebel build sheets and window stickers even say “Power Wagon” on them. If it works on one it’ll work on the other.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Yes, it’s a Rebel. I was just clarifying that your dealer is wrong, nothing has changed for 2023. The power steps weren’t available for prior year Power Wagons either, but it wasn’t and still isn’t a compatibility issue, it’s just that Ram doesn’t let you option them on the build. There’s no difference between the Rebel and the PW other than suspension, sway bar, and a locker. The Rebel build sheets and window stickers even say “Power Wagon” on them. If it works on one it’ll work on the other.
Thanks - I think I will wait to see a confirmed case of a 2023 Power Wagon getting them added. The dealer mentioned they were able to do them previously, but something changed and that's no longer the case. So until I see a PW prove them wrong, I kind of have to take their word. Trust me, the dealer and I both want it to happen, as they thought it could when I originally placed the order. They would love the sale.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thanks - I think I will wait to see a confirmed case of a 2023 Power Wagon getting them added. The dealer mentioned they were able to do them previously, but something changed and that's no longer the case. So until I see a PW prove them wrong, I kind of have to take their word. Trust me, the dealer and I both want it to happen, as they thought it could when I originally placed the order. They would love the sale.
Obviously you’ve gotta do what you’re comfortable with, but I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that there’s literally no change. They just called AMP and were told no, because AMP hasn’t tested a ‘23.

In fact, if they have AMP boards on hand it would be trivial to hook one up to your OBD port without actually mounting it to see if it actuates when the door opens.

Cor86

Reaction score
I have to work this weekend, but I’m debating on burning a vacation day on Monday, or just waiting until the weekend after, but we’ll know soon enough on the AR install. As for factory steps on a 2GP, my salesman could not add them. Maybe they’ll be a late availability thing? The early literature showed a ‘23 with rock rails, but they’re not listed anywhere as an option, so who knows? I’m in agreement, if they’re available on a Rebel, they could be made to fit a Wagon, with a custom harness, but probably won’t be offered, for the same reason the auxiliary switches aren’t on a winch equipped truck. I don’t think anything has changed that would prevent factory steps from being added, with a custom harness, but I chose to go with aftermarket.

Attachments

• E9DC12D2-2F8A-4145-9B55-CA018B8CC82A.jpeg
    E9DC12D2-2F8A-4145-9B55-CA018B8CC82A.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 65
  • FEAE65D8-E907-4B87-8CCE-9EDC0F03FC85.png
    FEAE65D8-E907-4B87-8CCE-9EDC0F03FC85.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

Desertfox73

Reaction score
I have to work this weekend, but I’m debating on burning a vacation day on Monday, or just waiting until the weekend after, but we’ll know soon enough on the AR install. As for factory steps on a 2GP, my salesman could not add them. Maybe they’ll be a late availability thing? The early literature showed a ‘23 with rock rails, but they’re not listed anywhere as an option, so who knows? I’m in agreement, if they’re available on a Rebel, they could be made to fit a Wagon, with a custom harness, but probably won’t be offered, for the same reason the auxiliary switches aren’t on a winch equipped truck. I don’t think anything has changed that would prevent factory steps from being added, with a custom harness, but I chose to go with aftermarket.
Well, I for one am really excited to see how both the steps and the exhaust turn out!

Users who are viewing this thread