Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Less than thrilled with my 2021 Laramie 2500

Frank

Reaction score
Comparing the acceleration of a turbo gas engine to a diesel is absurd. Almost as absurd as expecting 25 mpg.

I have never met a HD owner of any brand that didn't have a love/hate relationship with their truck. They all have little problems. They all do the big things well.

sstoner911

Reaction score
1. Fuel economy - I thought diesel engines were supposed to get better mileage than gas counterparts. I traded in a 2016 F150 Limited with the Ecoboost V6. That truck got around 13 mpg around town (nowhere near what ford claims btw), and after 1100 miles on the 2500, I'm seeing about 13 mpg. I do not drive this truck hard, or accelerate hard. I was expecting better than the ford. Also, while I've not done any long trips yet, when I'm cruising on the toll road at 75, I'm seeing about 17 to 18 mpg on the instantaneous mpg display. That's telling me I'm not going to see the 25 mpg highway I've heard about.
Your comparing a F150 EcoBoost to a HD Diesel.... interesting. Your mileage is right on for that 2500. I encourage you to look at your window sticker on mileage.

2. Acceleration - I know this truck is much heavier than the F150 but was expecting decent acceleration from the Ram. Unfortunately, the 2500 has really disappointing acceleration for all the torque it's supposed to have. Haven't timed it yet but my seat of the pants guess is at least 8 to 9 secs 0 to 60 or more. Before, you guys flame me, i didn't buy this truck for its acceleration, but this is disappointing coming from the ecoboost. You've really got to time your merging and passing with this thing. Whereas the F150 would light up the tires from a dead stop and even bark the tires if I stomped it at 20 mph.

Torque - its for towing so- depending on your power band you are in at the moment - this can vary. You are probably experiencing dead pedal. Get the Banks Pedal Monster....(shrugs)

3. Interior - This is a bright spot, mostly, for the Ram. The interior design and build quality is very good for the most part. Materials are nice and the interior looks really upscale for a pickup. Now for the disappointments. I'm 6'7", so very tall. I had no fit issues in the F150, headroom and legroom were great. Btw, both trucks have power sun roofs (which I hate but buying a truck off the lot always has these). I have limited headroom in the Ram and my hair rubs sometimes. Also, legroom between my right knee and the trailer brake control module on the lower part of the dash to the right of steering wheel is very limited. This truck is HUGE, how am I having fit issues?

You are 6' 7" - stop.

4. Feature execution - There are a few features on this truck that are nice features, but poorly executed. The first is the Auto High Beams. Whoever wrote the user story (defined how it should work) for this feature must not drive at night. If you enable this feature in settings then you MUST keep your turn signal/high beam stalk pushed forward for auto high beams to work. However, when you use the turn signal to indicate a turn or lane change, it's very easy to pull the stalk back accidentally then your high beams turn off, and you won't notice it until the next time you're driving at night and realize your high beams aren't coming on. Also, there is no way to override the truck's decision about whether the brights should be on. To manually override and turn the brights on, you have to go into settings, navigate the menu, find the right setting, turn it off, then you can push the stalk forward and get them on, this isn't going to happen while your driving. Why does this matter? It matters since the truck's light sensors seem to be oversensitive to reflections from street signs and keep turning the brights off. There's also no hysteresis built in so the brights will go on and off often on certain stretches of road. The F150 did this right. Just turn the setting on and the brights come on and off as the truck determines, but if you push the stalk forward, you can override the truck and force the high beams to stay on. Another poorly design feature is the gauge/center stack backlight control. The dial isn't fully linear meaning you can't just rotate from dim to max brightness as you would expect. If you rotate it to the highest brightness, without clicking it into "max brightness", there is a big step in brightness between those two settings. Why does this matter? Well if you're driving in very overcast days or at twilight, and the truck turns its headlights on, the gauges will dim to the point they're very difficult to see. The only way to fix this is rotate the dial to the max position which it clicks into. The gauges are now readable but as soon as it gets fully dark, they're WAY too bright in the cab and are distracting. Another feature is how you select channels on the sound system. In GM's, you can set your favorites from any receiver (satellite, FM, or AM). Your favorites then present all these to you and you can select from what you like without needing to switch receiver modes. The system does that for you. On the RAM's 12" system, if you want to switch between an FM station and a Satellite channel (which I do often), you have to switch screens to the source screen, then select the mode you want, then switch back to the main screen to see your favorites, then select your favorite from that list, all while you're driving - not going to happen. Yes, there's a button on the back of the steering wheel, but you have to rotate through all the sources to get to the one you want. GM did this right.
I list these as examples of where Dodge had good ideas, but really don't spend time undertanding their cutomers like Ford and GM seem to have done. I could go on, but the point is made.

Ok, I'd like to hear other's thoughts about their experience with their new Ram 2500.

yup.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing removed then the outside temp, and finally compass.

HD5280

Reaction score
Love how this is turning into clock shaming on the cluster. Ha! Y’all are classic.

The dude wanted to see his clock better than it displays on the 12”...adding to cluster solves that. Simple. Everyone has different preferences. Some would rather stare at their battery meter. Others care more about the time. To each their own.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Love how this is turning into clock shaming on the cluster. Ha! Y’all are classic.

The dude wanted to see his clock better than it displays on the 12”...adding to cluster solves that. Simple. Everyone has different preferences. Some would rather stare at their battery meter. Others care more about the time. To each their own.

No reason to take such offense. Now everyone get back on to shaming the OP! ;)

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
At least dude got a CP-ISBS3C3POR2D28675309.

Would have shat if he came in here reading about the CP4. Or if Ram goes 5th Gen cab/ZF 8 speed for 23.

CTF2019

Reaction score
@SBelt

Whoever said 25mpg was possible while on level ground was lying. Once broken in, 15-18 is where these trucks sit unloaded.

The reason the new diesel does not have power on demand is torque management. The old 5.9s get up and go quickly with less hp and tq numbers. Those were pre torque management. Much of the management can be tuned out on 68rfe trucks. Aisin guys are stuck though.

I echo you on the stupid details on the interior. The one that angered me the most was the interior lighting being illegible when wipers were on but it’s light outside.
2013-2018 trucks would keep the interior lights bright if the sun sensor detected bright exterior light with wipers. But Chrysler stupidly removed that feature in 2019....

At least you got a 2021 with the CP3 and fixed HVAC box. My buyback 2019 had poor hvac, a cp4.2, bad amp, and a flexible hood that was ready to takeoff on the freeway.

Mostly all those have since been fixed with the 21s.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
It sounds to me as though you’ve fallen out of love and decided it’s time to move on and get a different truck. I’ve been there myself and you know when you know. Maybe all the mods you did will help you get out of it without taking too much of a beat down. Good luck finding your next truck.

Badunit

Reaction score
Even with torque management my 2015 is quicker to speed than my 2003 5.9L was. I can attribute some of it to me rowing through the gears slowly and deliberately in my 2003 vs the 2015's automatic quicker shifts but I had to keep it floored to get to the same speed my 2015 effortlessly obtains in the same time. That was true even before I added a tuner (emissions intact, not deleted), which was for throttle response ("Pedal Commander" type response, not from more hp), to get rid of the death-defying dead pedal problem (which I hope they no longer have), and to fix weird 3-4 shift problem that was in the factory tuning.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@SBelt
I echo you on the stupid details on the interior. The one that angered me the most was the interior lighting being illegible when wipers were on but it’s light outside.
2013-2018 trucks would keep the interior lights bright if the sun sensor detected bright exterior light with wipers. But Chrysler stupidly removed that feature in 2019....

L
They are the same here when the wipers are on in the 13-18 the running lights come on and turn the brightness down but you just go to the brightness adjustment and crank it up....

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
I like hearing the downsides. Helps me hear all sides. Still excited for delivery.

Catmechanic

Reaction score
I understand it's the dash monitor and not hand calculated, but that's what the OP is basing his opinion on. Not exactly 25 mpg, but not too shabby either. 5900 miles on the truck with no reset of the meter ever. Mostly unloaded, only a few shorter trips with 1500-ish lbs in the bed.

The pedal monster may help with the sluggish feeling you're experiencing.

I'm 6'4" - no sunroof is the only way to roll in these trucks. The trailer brake control doesn't get my knee but the 4wd push button module does occasionally, but just barely.

I'm not cool enough to have the auto-dimming lights.
20210226_164827[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread