Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LEDs on Limited - kinda loud

ClawSS

Reaction score
Anybody notice "what I believe to be" the cooling fans on the LEDs when you put the truck in the ON - Not started ignition position and lights on?

I had done this one evening and stepped around to the front of the truck and wow...somewhat ear piercing....the headlights were on, FYI.

Please tell me that is normal and only a tiny fan trying to do it's job.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I've not heard a fan, ever, on my buddy's limited. do they even have fans?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Never noticed any sound like that. I'd never hear it over the (diesel) belt chirping anyway.

Razzman

Reaction score
I've never heard anything either, but then I've never turned it on, turned on the lights and walked in front to listen. Not sure how this scenario would be in play anyway? I mean if it is the light fans (if they have them) then they are doing their job I guess. If they don't have fans then who knows, these things make a butt load of noise under the hood anyway lol.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Haven't heard anything like that with my LED's

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The adaptive projector stepper motors sweep back and forth when the truck is started or put in the run position. You’ve also got the active grille shutters up there that cycle open and closed when ignition is put in run position.

ClawSS

Reaction score
The scenario is that you have the truck engine off, "key" is in the run position, hood does NOT have to be open, but the DRLs or headlights are on (as set in the radio) if it is of low light outside. Mine has a high pitched constant squeal (or like that of a small high velocity fan). I know what motor actuators are as well as stepper motors, but these suckers scream constantly when the lights are on.
I just figured y'all may have heard them on your higher-trimmed trucks. Guess not.

sanda

Reaction score
Piercing sound to keep deer and other wildlife from running in front of you. :p

Jsboening

Reaction score
I do have it. Blamed on my formative years of 80's hair metal and too powerful car stereos...and maybe allergies.
Same here. I’ve tried all the YouTube gimmicks to relieve it. Surprise! nothing works. I sleep with a noisy fan in my room. A silent room is miserable. Protect your ears youngsters.

Razzman

Reaction score
40 years of abuse. Concerts, loud music, and 30 years of noisy data centers.
All the above and years of shooting for Uncle Sam, ear protection wasn't a big thing in the 70's & 80's. I've had it non-stop since then not to mention almost complete hearing loss in one ear.

buzzuti

Reaction score
All the above and years of shooting for Uncle Sam, ear protection wasn't a big thing in the 70's & 80's. I've had it non-stop since then not to mention almost complete hearing loss in one ear.
Off topic… are you a retired vet?
If not, get in touch with veterans affairs.
You could be a candidate for medical benefits and then some.
My Father-in-Law was not reitred, but a vet, got full VA benefits, and then some…
He passed, and those bennies were past to my Mother-In-Law.

Razzman

Reaction score
Off topic… are you a retired vet?
If not, get in touch with veterans affairs.
You could be a candidate for medical benefits and then some.
My Father-in-Law was not reitred, but a vet, got full VA benefits, and then some…
He passed, and those bennies were past to my Mother-In-Law.
I’m already classed a disabled vet and have full benefits. Was Medically Discharged in ‘88 after fracturing both knees and ankles during a training exercise in ’86. Since then it’s been a downhill battle with issues related and visits to the VA. Unfortunately there’s no cure for tinnitus and I’ve learned to live with it decades ago.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Are they aftermarket LED bulbs? My morimoto LED bulbs have cooling fans and they’re audible outside the truck when the truck is off

ClawSS

Reaction score
Are they aftermarket LED bulbs? My morimoto LED bulbs have cooling fans and they’re audible outside the truck when the truck is off
Nope...OEM. I had stepped out of the truck with the engine off, but the button in RUN position and when I approached the front, there was a substantial fan noise (high pitched and not radiator cooling).

Reaction score
Could be like me, and even with significant hearing loss, I can hear a CRT TV powered on, and things like LED and HID drivers/ballasts making a whining noise

99mo

Reaction score
Almost 40 years of running with sirens. Began in the 80's when ear protection was an afterthought. I keep trying to answer the phone in my right ear, but no matter what it keeps ringing. Must have TV noise or something at night to sleep. Ear protection is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread