Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Bulb vs Headlight Replacement

dmhines

Reaction score
Did these fit directly into the stock factory housing without any modifications? Did you have to purchase separate CANBUS wiring ? Year, Make, Model of your RAM?
These are direct fit plug and play. Nothing else required. 2023 Tradesman.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Thought I’d provide the members an insight to my new LED Headlights installed on a 2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn. After much research I chose to install a set of Carifex LED’s. The company is continuously running specials on Low Beams/Hi Beams and other LED’s such as Fog Lights.

I was a little skeptical purchasing from a company who didn’t provide a telephone number especially for Customer Service however, communicating via email was prompt and I always received a reply with an answer within 12 hours.

I provided the company with the Year, Make, Model of my vehicle and they suggested the correct set of Plug & Play LED’s for my truck. They recommended I purchase the set with the Non Flickering Canibus attached which also was to keep the Truck’s Onboard Computer from identifying burnt out bulbs due to the low wattage the LED’s use. I knew this from prior experience with replacing halogens with LED’s on my 2013 Harley Ultra Classic. I was told the company didn’t keep these particular bulbs in stock within the USA and it would take 10-14 days to arrive from overseas. (China?).

The company offers a 30 day money back guarantee as well as a 2 year warranty on their products. For an additional $14.99 you can get a Lifetime Warranty. They also offer Free Shipping therefore, pretty much in line with similar products offered by their competitors other than a Lifetime Warranty.

I ordered what the company recommended although further research identified the 2022 RAM 2500 didn’t require the additional Canibus system. Everything up to 2021 and everything after 2023 did require the Canibus system. I found it strange RAM would make a single year change then return to the old way for doing the Canibus System, so the information I found may not have been correct.

Research also identified the correct alignment of LED’s when being installed in a Reflector Housing which the RAM Big Horn comes stock. All my research led me to understand LED’s came with an adjustment to clock the LED’s in the correct position. Usually a tiny Allen Wrench which loosens a screw so the light can be turned up to 180 degrees. When Using LED’s in a Reflector Housing the lights should be positioned at the 9 O’clock and 3 O’clock position.

When I ordered I was provided a 15% Veterans Discount. That’s 5% more than most any company on the market. I would almost bet they also have other discounts such as First Responders. Of course you can sign up with an email address and get an immediate 10% discount however, be ready to get bombarded with emails from this company on a daily bases.

It took about 10 days to receive my order. Everything arrived in good working order.

The company tried to provide me a Utube video on how to install, but they couldn’t get one for a RAM 2500 Only a RAM 1500. I reviewed several online videos on how to install. A few identified removing the entire grill assembly and removing the headlight housings in order to remove and reinstall halogen or LED bulbs. I found another video on how to make the exchange without having to tear half the front end from the truck.

The first thing I noticed was there were no Allen Wrenches in the box therefore I figured the company clocked the LED’s specifically for the vehicle in question. Unfortunately the Low Beam H11 bulbs were a couple millimeters too long because of the additional reflector housing within the headlight housing. The original halogen bulb sits behind or slightly into this reflector and even if you could clock the LED it wouldn’t fit in the optimal 3 & 9 O’clock position. The LED Bulb would however sit in the 12 & 6 O’clock position. No problems with the High Beam LED’s. Although all the LED’s were not in the optimal position, I waited until dark to test the lighting.

Let me tell you! There is a huge difference in the lighting output on the LED’s. I almost felt like they were too bright and lit up too much area even while just using the Low Beams. The High Beams were super bright and lit up the road well ahead of the vehicle. I had a nice even flow across the front roadway without any dark patches. I have yet to test the pattern on a garage door or large flat wall to get the height cutoff, but I decided to leave the LED’s in and drive the truck home (about 20 miles down a 2 lane 55mph highway through the country). What I expected was, I would blind oncoming traffic

however, after passing about 30 vehicles not one vehicle flashed me. After driving my truck this way for a few nights and never having anyone flash me thinking my High Beams were on, I felt comfortable leaving everything as installed. At this point I’m afraid if I clock the LED’s to the 3 & 9 positions too much light would extend into the oncoming lane blinding oncoming traffic even on Low Beams.

I had one high beam LED that was slightly off center (Clocked at 11 & 5 position). I figured this was a factory mistake and contacted the company regarding a replacement bulb. I complained I was unable to clock the bulbs to the correct recommended positions. Their answer was sorry for the inconvenience we’ve caused. They stated their LED’s could be clocked, but never provided me the details on how to clock them. If you’d like to keep the two sets of LED’s we would kindly offer you a 50% return on your cost and you can keep the LED’s we sent.

Given the lights actually do work well and I’m not interested in having to do the job again, I chose to obtain the 50% refund. I’ll lose the warranty, but if a light stops working I’ll just replace it with another set since you should replace in sets anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread