Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Bulb vs Headlight Replacement

Kodiak1967

Reaction score
Need some inputs please. Have a 2020 2500 Bighorn with Halogen headlights. I had no idea the lights were so bad when I test drive the truck. I need to do something because these lights are horrible. Has anyone replaced the halogen bulbs with LED's...if so, would you recommend that approach? Or, does anyone have input on simply replacing the assemblies with projectors? Thanks in advance...

flan

Reaction score
Need some inputs please. Have a 2020 2500 Bighorn with Halogen headlights. I had no idea the lights were so bad when I test drive the truck. I need to do something because these lights are horrible. Has anyone replaced the halogen bulbs with LED's...if so, would you recommend that approach? Or, does anyone have input on simply replacing the assemblies with projectors? Thanks in advance...
Funny you should mention this, I was doing some research on replacement bulbs last night. It seems the cheaper bulbs are not adjustable in the housing and may not have a sharp cutoff as those you can adjust,
Potentially blinding oncoming drivers. I started off on headlight revolutions website watched a vid over there and see the sv4 bulb works well in our housings. I looked elsewhere for the sv4 and it looks like headlight revolution stole the bulb design and renamed it according to the guys over at supernova lights. I guess it’s all up to who you believe. The sv4 on supernova has a 4 year warranty. I believe HR warranty’s theirs for 2 years. That’s about as far down the rabbit hole I got last night I’m sure I’ll have some time to dig further today ;)

el_barto

Reaction score
^^^ correct. Many LED replacement bulbs do not have the light source in the exact position as the filament on a halogen bulb it replaces. Reflector housings are very advanced and specifically designed to reflect the light specifically from that exact light source position. Put the light in a slightly different spot and it reflects the light “incorrectly” resulting in a lot of glare to oncoming drivers (giving LED lights a bad reputation…HID had a similar issue when people would do retrofits)

There are a few LED replacements out there that DO place the light source correctly (Diode Dynamics), so just make sure to do your research to find lights that don’t suck for other drivers. Also, get your headlights aimed properly.

For housing replacements there are a couple good options : Morimoto and alphaRexx. They are expensive but look nice and should give you great light output.

Chrisminx

Reaction score

Gunnyguy64

Reaction score
I too have been looking at upgrading my headlights on my 2019 2500. Watched the HR videos on replacement led lights for existing housings that flan referred to.
Sv4 was there recommendation but not sold completely on lamp change over housing.
Alpharex are an attractive purchase based on price. I've read a few reviews stating they crapped out a year or two later. Anyone have personal experience with these?

woody284

Reaction score
Funny you should mention this, I was doing some research on replacement bulbs last night. It seems the cheaper bulbs are not adjustable in the housing and may not have a sharp cutoff as those you can adjust,
Potentially blinding oncoming drivers. I started off on headlight revolutions website watched a vid over there and see the sv4 bulb works well in our housings. I looked elsewhere for the sv4 and it looks like headlight revolution stole the bulb design and renamed it according to the guys over at supernova lights. I guess it’s all up to who you believe. The sv4 on supernova has a 4 year warranty. I believe HR warranty’s theirs for 2 years. That’s about as far down the rabbit hole I got last night I’m sure I’ll have some time to dig further today ;)

If I’m looking at the right comparison, why such a price difference in the two companies? The v.4 at nova vs the s-v.4 at HR. That’s 100 bucks difference if they are the same bulbs

flan

Reaction score
If I’m looking at the right comparison, why such a price difference in the two companies? The v.4 at nova vs the s-v.4 at HR. That’s 100 bucks difference if they are the same bulbs
Excellent question! HR says they don’t sell supernova, but they have review videos of supernova.

We don’t sell supernova:

HR supernova review

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
I came across diode dynamics in H11 they are assembled in the USA. They also have a fog light for our trucks. They have an optional anti-flicker module available for $40. If we switch headlight settings through alfa to LED will we still need the extra module? Maybe @Jimmy07 has some experience in this situation?

Headlight:

Fog:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I have the morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 led bulbs with pwm modules and they’re light years better than the stock halogen bulbs. Been running them for 3 years or so in this truck.

There is no stray light because of the way they’re designed I guess that’s why they’re so expensive. I’ll leave it to them to explain how they pull that off

SUPERIOR BEAM QUALITY: The advanced PCB technology at the core of the 2Stroke 3.0 sets a new industry benchmark emission surface interval of just 2mm total. The PCB core itself is just 1.0mm thick. The dielectric layer: 300um. The circuit pattern: 140um, and the Osram Oslon HKL351.TE LED chips: just .43mm each. Paired with the 1.03 x 4.33mm light-emitting surface area of the LEDs: this adds up to a total cubic volume of 4.46mm. At the end of the day, no LED bulb in the world more closely simulates the filament size of an incandescent bulb more accurately than the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0--and for those in the know, this is critical when it comes to proper beam distribution.

Only negative is The cooling fans are a little loud when you unlock the truck and the lights come on, but you certainly can’t hear them when the vehicle is running.

Last edited:

BadKarma

Reaction score
Looking to switch to the morimoto, right now I have the lasfit led’s and feel they are very subpar from my stock LEDs on my Grand Cherokee & Wrangler. I have the Alpharex Pro headlights currently. My only questions is I have h7 bulbs but morimoto doesn’t offer h7. Is the h11 compatible?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I ran led bulbs in the halogen housings for a bit. too much uncontrolled light output. they're bright but also blinding to other drivers. switched to oem reflector housings and couldn't have been happier. huge upgrade from bulbs of any flavor.

Bgirup

Reaction score

These work perfect. No canbus issues and very clean cutoff and no scattering of light. The brights are insane. No need for any supplementary bars.

deanfx

Reaction score
I've used diode dynamics h11 in the lows for years in a couple different trucks with no issues. I do use the anti flicker module on my 23 Ram.

BadKarma

Reaction score

These work perfect. No canbus issues and very clean cutoff and no scattering of light. The brights are insane. No need for any supplementary bars.
Used them in my GTO and other ram. I loved them and have no clue why i stopped using them. They were bright

jsalbre

Reaction score

There’s no way those “work perfect”. Physics says that’s impossible. The manufacturer hasn’t even made any attempt at getting the LED emitters in a location that’s remotely close to where the incandescent filament would be. They may “look good” to you from inside the cab, but you’re still getting less light where you need it, more where you don’t, and blinding other drivers.

I don’t know why people refuse to accept this, but putting an LED bulb in a halogen housing is like putting on glasses with the wrong prescription, none of the light goes to the right place.

BadKarma

Reaction score
There’s no way those “work perfect”. Physics says that’s impossible. The manufacturer hasn’t even made any attempt at getting the LED emitters in a location that’s remotely close to where the incandescent filament would be. They may “look good” to you from inside the cab, but you’re still getting less light where you need it, more where you don’t, and blinding other drivers.

I don’t know why people refuse to accept this, but putting an LED bulb in a halogen housing is like putting on glasses with the wrong prescription, none of the light goes to the right place.
I’ve used there hid kit in projectors .

MrSteve

Reaction score
Mine are so bad in the rain at nIght it’s borderline scary. Adding amber fog lites at this time. Thanks for this post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread