Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Koons 6.5% below invoice

bhal212

Reaction score
I went with Koons for the following reasons:
1. 6% below invoice
2. They price protect
3. Just about an hour away from me
4. Generally great feedback across several forums
5. I have been totally disgusted looking on dealer lots for the past year with "market adjustments" across all brands.

The fee is $899 Processing Fee is craptastic but net/net its a big win for me over the the other choices available. Also included with sales tax is a Gross Receipts Tax (.17%) imposed by Fairfax county. But in the end my math is this, 6% vs 4% was a difference of $1140 (in my case) which kills the processing fee and keeps a few hundred in my pocket. Imagine it at 6.5% for a loaded Limited vs my Tradesman, the numbers change to approx a $2300 difference, that's not nothing! And with 3 major international airports within minutes of the dealership I could see some major savings on flights if you were coming from across the country versus flying in to more rural areas.

So far, easy order, great communication, had my Von same day, had the Vin in 3 days. I can't ask for more from an ordering dealer, what comes next is beyond their control.
I've been emailing back and forth with Koons for the last two days working out a build, and they have been very helpful and quick to respond. It's about 4 hours away, but I used to have to drive to NOVA every other weekend, at least this potential trip will be fun.

pr3dict

Reaction score
I might be an outlier here but maybe I'm just someone that has had an issue period...

TLDR: If your order is straight forward and has no issues then they seem to be great. However, their follow-up customer service seems to be lacking.
TLDR Update: It's been a journey and I think they mean well so as long as you have the patience and independent follow-up they seem to want to win your business. Will update as I make my way through more of the process.

I ordered a 23 3500 from them the day the order banks opened up. They were very quick to get everything setup and ordered with what information was available at that time. Since orders opened up though there has been a few revisions to the order guide that fixed some missing things.

When I ordered in early september there was no RAMBOX delete option in the ordering system BUT I ordered a limited (comes standard with the rambox) and the 5th wheel prep package. We all know the factory will not build a rambox'd truck with 5th wheel prep. Well, the order was accepted and a VIN was created.... After a few weeks RAM added the ability to add the rambox delete code and I asked the dealer to revise the order with it as I feared it would cause an issue down the line. Wellllll they declined and the order went D status. The RAM tracker online does not have my VIN listed and overall seems like a botched order and I've reached out a few times to fix it.

When orders started going D1 I emailed to get a status and they said I was back in C status even though I was previously D. Again, being skeptical that my order was screwed up and that the automated logistics system would NEVER SCHEDULE MY TRUCK because it doesnt fit into the cookie cutter workflows they they have, I asked for them to again revise my order to include the dam rambox delete line. Finally I got the GM last week to agree to reach out to the corporate rep and I didnt hear anything back from them all week, even after sending 2 emails asking for an update. Finally I had to call again a week later and was told I would get an answer sometime today... As you can imagine, no answer.

I cant cancel my order and go with MD or someone else because the options I chose are no longer available to order and I'm basically stuck with a botched $100k truck order that will probably not get built. I'll probably end up having to order a 24 GMC when those order banks open up in March. I'm pissed to say the least.

Edit: Also when I placed the order it was 5% below invoice and required the not 6%.

The following is what they wrote to me:
Now the 5% under invoice does require financing through Chrysler Capital or lose 1000

That 1% is like $950 and doesnt require financing lol I mean they should give that to everyone that hasn't received their truck yet.

Edit 2: dealer agreed to honor the holiday pricing of 6% which is cool. Happy they did that...

Still have an issue however with the way that the rambox delete code being handled. I told them again, to advise their rep to have the order updated to include the code. Others have had their order changed in D1 status so it shouldn't be an issue. Im in C or D status depending on who you ask haha.

Edit 3: Dealer spoke with Rep this morning and rep agreed to revise order to add rambox delete. Hopefully this fixes all those conspiracy theories in my head Lol. With everything said its been a process and I have been the exception not the rule so I'd give them a thumbs up so far.

Edit 4: 12 days ago I was told the rep was updating my order w/ the rambox delete, said it would take 3-4 days... 7 days later (last Saturday) I asked for an update as it didnt happen yet and was told that the rep said it "wasn't accepted" Even though I'm in C status... and he would try aain and make sure it was accepted and advise when it was.... It's another 5 days and still no change. I've requested an update again.

RAM really needs to get their **** together.

Last edited:

pr3dict

Reaction score
I've done a few updates since my last post so wanted to bump this to highlight the changes in my last post.

bhal212

Reaction score
I might be an outlier here but maybe I'm just someone that has had an issue period...

TLDR: If your order is straight forward and has no issues then they seem to be great. However, their follow-up customer service seems to be lacking.
TLDR Update: It's been a journey and I think they mean well so as long as you have the patience and independent follow-up they seem to want to win your business. Will update as I make my way through more of the process.

I ordered a 23 3500 from them the day the order banks opened up. They were very quick to get everything setup and ordered with what information was available at that time. Since orders opened up though there has been a few revisions to the order guide that fixed some missing things.

When I ordered in early september there was no RAMBOX delete option in the ordering system BUT I ordered a limited (comes standard with the rambox) and the 5th wheel prep package. We all know the factory will not build a rambox'd truck with 5th wheel prep. Well, the order was accepted and a VIN was created.... After a few weeks RAM added the ability to add the rambox delete code and I asked the dealer to revise the order with it as I feared it would cause an issue down the line. Wellllll they declined and the order went D status. The RAM tracker online does not have my VIN listed and overall seems like a botched order and I've reached out a few times to fix it.

When orders started going D1 I emailed to get a status and they said I was back in C status even though I was previously D. Again, being skeptical that my order was screwed up and that the automated logistics system would NEVER SCHEDULE MY TRUCK because it doesnt fit into the cookie cutter workflows they they have, I asked for them to again revise my order to include the dam rambox delete line. Finally I got the GM last week to agree to reach out to the corporate rep and I didnt hear anything back from them all week, even after sending 2 emails asking for an update. Finally I had to call again a week later and was told I would get an answer sometime today... As you can imagine, no answer.

I cant cancel my order and go with MD or someone else because the options I chose are no longer available to order and I'm basically stuck with a botched $100k truck order that will probably not get built. I'll probably end up having to order a 24 GMC when those order banks open up in March. I'm pissed to say the least.

Edit: Also when I placed the order it was 5% below invoice and required the not 6%.

The following is what they wrote to me:

That 1% is like $950 and doesnt require financing lol I mean they should give that to everyone that hasn't received their truck yet.

Edit 2: dealer agreed to honor the holiday pricing of 6% which is cool. Happy they did that...

Still have an issue however with the way that the rambox delete code being handled. I told them again, to advise their rep to have the order updated to include the code. Others have had their order changed in D1 status so it shouldn't be an issue. Im in C or D status depending on who you ask haha.

Edit 3: Dealer spoke with Rep this morning and rep agreed to revise order to add rambox delete. Hopefully this fixes all those conspiracy theories in my head Lol. With everything said its been a process and I have been the exception not the rule so I'd give them a thumbs up so far.
Glad to hear they are resolving your issues. I don't care to defend them specifically as I'd get nothing out of it, but in general everything is just royally screwed up right now and I think most of these busier places are doing their best to get answers themselves.

Hell, I can't even place an order right now because FCA shut down two of the options packages I wanted in the few hours between when I received the build sheet from Koons and they went to place the order. He couldn't even tell me when it would be resolved other than middle of this week because that's the best he could get from his rep.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Adding an update. 12 days ago I was told the rep was updating my order w/ the rambox delete, said it would take 3-4 days... 7 days later (last Saturday) I asked for an update as it didnt happen yet and was told that the rep said it "wasn't accepted" Even though I'm in C status... and he would try aain and make sure it was accepted and advise when it was.... It's another 5 days and still no change. I've requested an update again.

RAM really needs to get their **** together.

mkmsr

Reaction score
Probably better to just cancel the order and put in a new one. That's what MD did when I decided to add the 4:10 gears.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

pr3dict

Reaction score
Probably better to just cancel the order and put in a new one. That's what MD did when I decided to add the 4:10 gears.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Price increases since then and not being able to order specific packages anymore makes that an impossibility. Very sad lol

pr3dict

Reaction score
I would cancel the order too- and move to a different brand
Thats what Im trying to do now. Because Koons ****** me by basically pushing off my concerns since literally the 2nd week of my order in September (Don't worry dont worry it's in D status you dont know what you're talking about don't worry is all I kept hearing) the parts that make up my order are not available until 3/1/22. I asked them to order me a GMC from their dealership literally across the parking lot. We'll see if they will deal or if they have 0 customer service like it seems is the case.

The discount is great but their customer service is non existent. So hopefully you dont have an issue with your order.

bmidd31

Reaction score
Thats what Im trying to do now. Because Koons ****** me by basically pushing off my concerns since literally the 2nd week of my order in September (Don't worry dont worry it's in D status you dont know what you're talking about don't worry is all I kept hearing) the parts that make up my order are not available until 3/1/22. I asked them to order me a GMC from their dealership literally across the parking lot. We'll see if they will deal or if they have 0 customer service like it seems is the case.

The discount is great but their customer service is non existent. So hopefully you dont have an issue with your order.
Sounds like a early 2023 Ram order issue and less of a Koons issue. My 3 orders with them to include a 2022 Ram have been flawless and easiest car buying exp ever.

Why would you expect them to order you a GMC? Other than the Koons name in front of it the two dealers prob have little relation to include the group buy pricing.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Sounds like a early 2023 Ram order issue and less of a Koons issue. My 3 orders with them to include a 2022 Ram have been flawless and easiest car buying exp ever.

Why would you expect them to order you a GMC? Other than the Koons name in front of it the two dealers prob have little relation to include the group buy pricing.
The "koons" name is exactly why they should help put me into a GMC vs a dodge or whatever else. It's their name on the line not RAM. They took my money, not RAM. So if they want to safe face as the dealership that handles the customer facing sales transactions they should do everything they can to help fix the problem because their precious name is on the line.

In your scenario the dealership is just there to take a piece of the pie and is actually not benefiting the consumer at all. Which in reality is the case unfortunately. Dealership model is outdated and we should all buy direct from the manufacturer but thats another story for another day.

Users who are viewing this thread