Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the SYNERGY RAM HEAVY DUTY DRAG LINK really better than the stock one?

Hammerjack

Reaction score
My lifted 2018 PW rubber boots for the stock drag link are done on both ends. I've asked around and I've been told the Synergy drag link is the go to upgrade. I talked to a local mechanic and he thought I was crazy to replace the stock drag link. I am not a mechanic. Does anyone know just who is right? The online hype or the local mechanic?

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
I plan to use Synergy track bars when mine are done. I run their TB and control arms on my jeep and been very happy. Their DD bushings offered the right amount of stability without the harsh NVH i get from heim joint TBs that i've tried before.
As for the PW, i am a little curious how it will work with its heavy curb weight or when towing heavy loads so ill be watching this post :)

Edit: Brain fart...i was thinking of track bars for some reason. I have Synergy Drag Link and Center Link on my jeep as well and they have been great too.

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Not sure what style the 18 has but if its the single clamp style its a very robust unit - wouldn't consider the synergy. If you have the twin jam nut style drag link which was known for loosening I think I'd want to upgrade to the Mopar style like on the newer trucks before the synergy.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
Not sure what style the 18 has but if its the single clamp style its a very robust unit - wouldn't consider the synergy. If you have the twin jam nut style drag link which was known for loosening I think I'd want to upgrade to the Mopar style like on the newer trucks before the synergy.
So either PW version is better?

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Synergy makes great pieces...alot of off roaders run their stuff...Ive got their TR and DL on my 2500 and their DL on my jeep on 37's with hydro.....the synergy has the one large nut sleeve thing and is probably the easiest DL to adjust....and the tuning of it is way easier than a jam nut style and a collar style....I've had 4 DL's on my jeep and the synergy is my favorite.....

jetrinka

Reaction score
If your drag link looks like the one in the link below its the good style. Very strong

If it looks like this one below then I'd upgrade to the style listed above.

You can see the bad style drag link would loosen itself and the dealers would weld them to keep them from moving. The updated style with the clamp is much stronger and won't move.

The PW has always had the same style drag link as the rest of the HD's of the same year

jetrinka

Reaction score
That appears to have the pre-updated double jam nut style drag link. Not a good design.

Either the updated Mopar unit or the Synergy will be a vast upgrade from what you currently have. The torn rod end boots aren't a good thing either.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
That appears to have the pre-updated double jam nut style drag link. Not a good design.

Either the updated Mopar unit or the Synergy will be a vast upgrade from what you currently have. The torn rod end boots aren't a good thing either.
The boots is what started me on this quest. I guess I need to go forward with the Synergy upgrade.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I'd do the new OEM drag link. During the initial recall/weld of the old oem drag link a lot of people went and bought the synergy. Then months later lots of reports of premature end link failures started showing up on those. I'd stick with the new OEM..

Are you lifted? Unusual for them to fail. looks like it's being over extended by suspension travel?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
When the V06 recall came out many folks went with the synergy to maintain an adjustable track bar. I read lots of complaints on the quality over the stock unit.

I repaired my 18 with the upgraded OEM drag link and was happy with the quality and performance.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
Yes she"s lifted. I've had her since Aug, I don't know what the previous owner did right or wrong.

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

MtnRider

Reaction score
Not sure how much lift is on there but you might benefit from a drop pitman arm? Take some of that angle out of the drag link.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
So I have the old style "fixed" drag link. So it's best just to get a new OEM upgraded one.

DL3.jpeg
DL4.jpeg
DL5.jpeg

MtnRider

Reaction score

Hammerjack

Reaction score
I would. And if you reach out to @RamCares and explain that you cannot get it aligned because of the weld they should set you up with a free
new version" draglink and get it installed at your local dealer. They swapped mine for free
I reached out to them, but no answer yet.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
I would. And if you reach out to @RamCares and explain that you cannot get it aligned because of the weld they should set you up with a free
new version" draglink and get it installed at your local dealer. They swapped mine for free
After nearly two weeks of conversations with RAMCARES, it's up to me to get the new link and get it installed. They did nothing. Offered nothing, other that I should go to a dealership. So there you go.

UglyViking

Reaction score
FWIW, there are a lot of folks on the DTX group that are less than pleased with the synergy draglink and tie rod, noting that the tie rod ends just don't last. I've never used any of their bars (only some of their Jeep hard mount plates), so I'm only speaking from word of what I've heard, no direct experience.

I'm hearing good things about Apex, so that may be what I try if I wreck my OEM ones for my 2500. I've got the new Kryptonite drag link and tie rod sitting in my garage for my dually, so I can report back on that but it will likely be at least a year or more before I've got enough miles to give it a real legit review.

Users who are viewing this thread