Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed the S&B cold air intake, with some interesting results since the install

Firebird

Reaction score
As the title says, installed their CAI, mainly, because I just wanted to try one. I have never run a CAI on any of my Cummins trucks, so I thought, why not! Here are my observations so far:

1. It is as quiet as the stock box. I do have the side plug in place (haven't run without the plug yet)
2. Is there a noticeable power increase? Not that I can feel.
3. There is however, a noticeable smoothness to the acceleration now. It does "seem" to pull a little harder up top.
4. There is an improved "smoothness" that was not present with the stock box.
5. Zero CEL's so far. Very quality box.
6. Biggest surprise of all, is DPF soot accumulation. I do tow with my truck, a 10,000 pound camper, on a monthly basis, but is still my daily driver vehicle. That being said, lots of stop and go, lots of short duration drives, everything we have been warned about. I watch my DPF gauge regularly, to monitor soot accumulation, and to see how often I regen. Other than the 24 hour programmed regen, I seem to hit regen about every 200 miles, and that regen usually takes a minimum of 20 minutes, and sometimes as long as 30 minutes. Once a regen is complete, I will quickly begin to read accumulation of 25 to 50% over the next 200 miles, with 30% frequently showing on my gauge. Since the CAI install, I haven't seen soot accumulation any higher than 1/8th on the gauge! Same streets, same fuel, same driving habits. Sunday, I decided to drive a bit to see how long it would take to clear that 1/8th, and it cleared in 5 miles. My truck has never done this. So all that to say, if a reduction in soot to the DPF continues, that alone is worth the price of the box to me!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
it is a quality piece. be sure to run ot a bit with the snow plug removed. you'll get a touch more sound out of it.

tchur1

Reaction score
I am on my first diesel so forgive my ignorance but isnt a regen every 200 miles super frequent? I drive my truck daily as well, normally 15 mins 2x a day at 40-50 MPH and ive never seen my DPF gauge move off of 0. It regens every 24 engine hours but nothing more than that. Ive had 3 regens to this point and have 3100 miles on the truck and 73 engine hours.

Firebird

Reaction score
I am on my first diesel so forgive my ignorance but isnt a regen every 200 miles super frequent? I drive my truck daily as well, normally 15 mins 2x a day at 40-50 MPH and ive never seen my DPF gauge move off of 0. It regens every 24 engine hours but nothing more than that. Ive had 3 regens to this point and have 3100 miles on the truck and 73 engine hours.
I'm in town, and don't see those speeds, and I never get to run 15 or 20 minutes straight at that speed, unless I plan a drive just to clean the DPF

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I see .5 to 1.5 mpg loss with the snow plug out. I run it installed most all the time. curious what your results are.

Darkone

Reaction score
I ran an S&B on my 08 and really liked it, especially being able to just clean the filter and reinstall it. With my 21 I’ve went back and forth whether it’s really worth it in the long run. I’ll be curious to see if you see any other positive results from it, maybe help sway my decision. So keep us posted

flan

Reaction score
What causes the mpg loss? Warm engine compartment air compared to cold air coming in with it installed?

Firebird

Reaction score
What causes the mpg loss? Warm engine compartment air compared to cold air coming in with it installed?
Good question, that would be my assumption too

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i think it's more of an airflow issue with pulling air from the side of the box vs. through the snorkel..

...but I'm no expert.

Firebird

Reaction score
Update on the S&B. I've hade it for a number of weeks now, and my DPF is staying clean. The only regen I've seen, is the 24 hour programmed one so far, and normally, I wa getting one about every 10 days. I could not be happier!
20220510_091627.jpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Very nice. Good review. Ive always like S/B products--very well made. Maybe ill have to try this one.

Firebird

Reaction score
Another update on the S&B addition. I just pulled the camper down to the same campground we pulled to in April, and the truck got 1 mpg better economy this trip. The only difference is the CAI. Again, so far, I've not discovered any downside to the S&B!

flan

Reaction score
I’m not sure of your location but Could’ve still had winter fuel in the tanks, just speculating...

g00fy

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on an S&B intake. Honestly I got it for no other reason than I miss hearing the sweet sweet whistle of a turbo. When I was in my early 20's I had a heavily modified Subaru with a Garrett 35R turbo swap the thing sounded like a jet taking off... I kinda miss it lol.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
even with the s&b, the turbo is pretty quiet. you can take the snow plug out and get a bit more sound. loaded is a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread