Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Install Mopar power running boards

Wilder

Reaction score
So when I ordered my Ram 2500 Laramie, I wanted to order the power deployable running boards but for some reason we forgot and it didn't get on the order. I'm now looking to add them, but there are substantially more expensive after the fact and they would have been to include with the order. My dealer quotes $2100 to order them from the parts department, but it's only $995 to order them with the truck.

My brother is getting ready to order a Ram 2500 as well, and he doesn't want running boards on his truck at all. I was thinking of having him order the power running boards and paying him for them, and swapping them over to my truck. Is there any reason That this would not work? Would it require a Reflash of any of the programming ? Could it be done with alfaOBD? Any other electrical parts that would have to be swapped over besides the motors and any switches? Thanks!

sstoner911

Reaction score
So when I ordered my Ram 2500 Laramie, I wanted to order the power deployable running boards but for some reason we forgot and it didn't get on the order. I'm now looking to add them, but there are substantially more expensive after the fact and they would have been to include with the order. My dealer quotes $2100 to order them from the parts department, but it's only $995 to order them with the truck.

My brother is getting ready to order a Ram 2500 as well, and he doesn't want running boards on his truck at all. I was thinking of having him order the power running boards and paying him for them, and swapping them over to my truck. Is there any reason That this would not work? Would it require a Reflash of any of the programming ? Could it be done with alfaOBD? Any other electrical parts that would have to be swapped over besides the motors and any switches? Thanks!

I do not know that you need ALPHA to activate them from what others have said, however, I do have a button under the "Controls" menu for the power steps that will allow you to manually deploy them or have them deploy automatically. So I would think you would need Alpha to activate that in the uconnect radio. So the short answer is yes it should work - but you may need some Alpha if you want the uconnect feature.

AMP Research (who supposedly makes them for FCA) sells them for abotr $1800 and they have an app for your phone that does what the Uconnect app does for mine.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

You would need the running boards, and the power side step module from the side of the glovebox. You would also need a harness for them, since none the connectors are on your truck. Then you would use AlfaOBD to enable them on your truck, and disable them on his truck.

Wilder

Reaction score
Turns out this was a moot point - they won't let you order power running boards unless you get Laramie Option Package B, which is out of his budget. Too bad - the website lets you configure one without package B.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hey I just went through this with my order - kind of messed up you can't get the OEM boards w/out being forced to the "B" package. The dealer I ordered did confirm it was not possible to get the boards with the "A" package. So looks like I'll go the AMP board route this time.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Hey I just went through this with my order - kind of messed up you can't get the OEM boards w/out being forced to the "B" package. The dealer I ordered did confirm it was not possible to get the boards with the "A" package. So looks like I'll go the AMP board route this time.
I had the AMP steps on my 2017. I was very pleased with the. The Mopar steps are a little louder on the deploy and when they fold up compared to the AMP steps.

I imagine this is on purpose since amp doesn't want the steps they make for MOPAR to exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread