Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on Goosebox replacement Reese or Gen Y or any other good options and solar upgrade costs questions

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a 5th wheel to travel and find where I might want to retire at, I have a 2022 3500 CCSB with the 5th wheel prep and have already changed out the OEM center section for the B&W turnover. My question for you 5th wheel guys what would be the better Goosebox swap either the Reese or the Gen Y or any other options that are good so I could utilize the 4" offset ball.

I have been looking at the KZ Sportsman and Keystone Fuzion models as of late and any reviews of these quality, maintenance, or issues would be appreciated. Anyone know what the cost to upgrade the Solarflex from the factory 200 to 400I or 600I-L or 1200 I-L on the Fuzion as they don't offer that online or the solar option on the KZ as they are solar prepped.

Any info would be grateful, thanks in advance. The only thing that has me hesitant is who knows what fuel prices are going to go to.

mguebert

Reaction score
The only complaint I have heard about the Reese Goosebox is that it is often necessary to let air out of the airbag in order to hookup / detach the trailer. Then the opposite connecting the trailer.

The Gen Y reviews well but has less information out about it than the reese. They are both supposed to be approved by lippert to maintain your frame warranty.

So go with what works best for you.

Let me know what you decide because I am trying to decide myself the best route to go when I get my truck.

Wileykid

Reaction score
They are both supposed to be approved by lippert to maintain your frame warranty.
Actually the Gen-Y is not approved by Lippert, only the Reese. Reese and Lippert are in bed with each other, so that is where that comes from, and the makers of the Gen-Y have said they did not want to pay the big bucks for Lippert to test and approve the system. Personally, I would go with the Gen-Y as it has a higher weight rating (if you need it), and do not have to deal with the airbag. If I ever go from a short bed to a long bed, I will buy the Gen-Y.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input, I did read about Lippert and Gen-Y not being approved only the Reese.

Anyone have any info on Solar upgrade costs?

superjoe83

Reaction score
The only complaint I have heard about the Reese Goosebox is that it is often necessary to let air out of the airbag in order to hookup / detach the trailer. Then the opposite connecting the trailer.

The Gen Y reviews well but has less information out about it than the reese. They are both supposed to be approved by lippert to maintain your frame warranty.

Let me know what you decide because I am trying to decide myself the best route to go when I get my truck.
I don't have an issue coupling/decoupling with my gen 2 goosebox with the bag aired up, that issue may have been a problem with the first gen goosebox.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I bought the goosebox before really looking at the Gen-Y. I have a Grand Design Reflection 31MB with the goosebox and the airbag has been fine. I havent had the problem disconnecting or reconnecting with air in the bag that people have mentioned. It is nice to be able to set the airbag in the goosebox specific for the load. And when its right, it tows excellent, no chucking or jerking, even on crappy roads (which we have a lot of in WA state). I don't think you can go wrong with either. Gen Y is like analog, not much can go wrong with it. Goosebox is more like digital with some features that make it more adjustable. That doesnt mean it wont be as reliable but there are more moving parts that have the potential to age and fail/need replacement. So far from what ive seen, Reese and Gen-Y stand behind their product when people have had issues.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My buddy that does RV repairs and storage says he gets more than a fair share of Fuzion toyhaulers in for repair work.

Silverbeard

Reaction score

I’ve got a GooseBox on my 5th wheel since ‘18 and pulled it about 30K miles. I’m pleased with the GooseBox. The problem with needing to release air to unhitch, is not a very common problem. I’ve hitched and unhitched dozens of times without any problems.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
My buddy that does RV repairs and storage says he gets more than a fair share of Fuzion toyhaulers in for repair work.
Could you enlighten me on their common issues if you know? I'm new to this whole 5th wheel thing and why I bought the 2022 3500 and trying to decide which makes are better than others. I'm not looking at top quality or price it will just be a temporary home while I drive around looking for the right place to retire at and will probably sell it after but want something to be comfortable in. I have pulled race trailers for years but those where always bumper pull units.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I'm still trying to find out rough idea the solar packages cost if anyone knows.

Post up what 5th wheel makes and model trailers you guys have good luck with around 30ft and under 12k, things you liked and disliked.

I like the KZ Durango 1/2 ton model but they don't have Climate package: insulated, heated & enclosed underbelly and the cabinets look like out of the 1990's and don't have solar prewire like the Sportsman does. The bathroom looks nicer on the Durango over the Sportsman.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you enlighten me on their common issues if you know? I'm new to this whole 5th wheel thing and why I bought the 2022 3500 and trying to decide which makes are better than others. I'm not looking at top quality or price it will just be a temporary home while I drive around looking for the right place to retire at and will probably sell it after but want something to be comfortable in. I have pulled race trailers for years but those where always bumper pull units.

I can ask but I recall him saying lots of frame and rear door issues. Maybe people are overloading them, I dunno.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I'm still trying to find out rough idea the solar packages cost if anyone knows.

Post up what 5th wheel makes and model trailers you guys have good luck with around 30ft and under 12k, things you liked and disliked.

I like the KZ Durango 1/2 ton model but they don't have Climate package: insulated, heated & enclosed underbelly and the cabinets look like out of the 1990's and don't have solar prewire like the Sportsman does. The bathroom looks nicer on the Durango over the Sportsman.
Hard to go wrong with Grand Design. They make the Momentum line if you are set on Toy Haulers but if you are looking for a nice fifth wheel, non-toy hauler, check out the Reflection series. We have a Reflection 31MB. Fully loaded its 12 or 13,000 lbs. The truck pulls and stops it well and the trailer layout is great for our family. The lighter you try to go and the larger you go, the cheaper the materials and build quality. Typically the better quality rigs out there are heavy, and for good reason. We've had a forest river salem lite as our first travel trailer and then switched to a Jayco Eagle fifth wheel a few years ago and the quality jump from the Salem to the Eagle was night and day. Solid floors, strong slides, etc. Making the move from the Jayco to the GD Reflection was another jump in quality in our opinion. That and the layout of 31MB pretty much checks all our boxes as i have a family of 4 camping recreationally in the summers. You will have an issue here or there with an rv/fifth wheel regardless if you spend $5,000 or $500,000. Its just the nature of the beast but some brands are definitely worse than others.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with Grand Design. They make the Momentum line if you are set on Toy Haulers but if you are looking for a nice fifth wheel, non-toy hauler, check out the Reflection series. We have a Reflection 31MB. Fully loaded its 12 or 13,000 lbs. The truck pulls and stops it well and the trailer layout is great for our family. The lighter you try to go and the larger you go, the cheaper the materials and build quality. Typically the better quality rigs out there are heavy, and for good reason. We've had a forest river salem lite as our first travel trailer and then switched to a Jayco Eagle fifth wheel a few years ago and the quality jump from the Salem to the Eagle was night and day. Solid floors, strong slides, etc. Making the move from the Jayco to the GD Reflection was another jump in quality in our opinion. That and the layout of 31MB pretty much checks all our boxes as i have a family of 4 camping recreationally in the summers. You will have an issue here or there with an rv/fifth wheel regardless if you spend $5,000 or $500,000. Its just the nature of the beast but some brands are definitely worse than others.
I have a GD Momentum 5th wheel. Enjoy it a lot, but the Momentum 5th wheels are heavy beasts, and the unloaded weight starts around 12K lbs. The TT version of the momentum line is lighter, and being bumper pull, easier for a lot of trucks.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I would go with the goosebox. Its approved and will be less hastle. I have seen cracked frames. In person. Not on the internet. They were from the cheap adapters though

Most new trailers are cut for short bed trucks. You probably won't need the offset ball. I have no problems with regular 5er in all my short beds.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would go with the goosebox. Its approved and will be less hastle. I have seen cracked frames. In person. Not on the internet. They were from the cheap adapters though

Most new trailers are cut for short bed trucks. You probably won't need the offset ball. I have no problems with regular 5er in all my short beds.

My tow buddy, best friend, ripped a pinbox apart with one of the GN adapters and nearly lost his trailer. He finally understood why I'd been relentlessly ripping on him about how bad they were for at least a year or two.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input from you guys, I have started looking at bumper pulls as well. I have been looking at the Keystone Cougar and Outback models as this trailer when only be temporary for me while move around looking for a place to buy. Any input if these are good for long hauls as I will be going from Wisconsin to Washington with whatever I get.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
My tow buddy, best friend, ripped a pinbox apart with one of the GN adapters and nearly lost his trailer. He finally understood why I'd been relentlessly ripping on him about how bad they were for at least a year or two.
Are you referencing that your buddy had a Reese Goosebox pin box or Gen Y and it ripped apart?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you referencing that your buddy had a Reese Goosebox pin box or Gen Y and it ripped apart?

Neither. Standard Lippert pinbox with a gooseneck adapter.

Please try to understand the distinction between a GN adapter and a gooseneck pinbox.

Too many also incorrectly use the term "Pinbox" to describe the mounting wing plates and that "box" section that are welded to the frame.

Pinbox: https://www.lci1.com/rv-pin-boxes

862513_a.jpg

GN adapter:
81VIclGBaGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wing plates:

turning_point_pin_box_assembly.jpg

Using a GN adapter most often tears the wingplate/frame area apart.

In his particular case, it tore the kingpin plate from the pinbox by the leverage it exerted on that component..

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input from you guys, I have started looking at bumper pulls as well. I have been looking at the Keystone Cougar and Outback models as this trailer when only be temporary for me while move around looking for a place to buy. Any input if these are good for long hauls as I will be going from Wisconsin to Washington with whatever I get.
Don’t move to Washington! I’ve lived here my whole life and it’s getting unbearable. My entire family moved to Texas this last year to get away from the crap. I’m stuck here with my job but hope to transfer within my company in the next few years. It is so expensive to live here. Our house has tripled in price since we bought 8 years ago and my salary has not.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Neither. Standard Lippert pinbox with a gooseneck adapter.

Please try to understand the distinction between a GN adapter and a gooseneck pinbox.

Too many also incorrectly use the term "Pinbox" to describe the mounting wing plates and that "box" section that are welded to the frame.

Pinbox: https://www.lci1.com/rv-pin-boxes

862513_a.jpg

GN adapter:
81VIclGBaGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wing plates:

turning_point_pin_box_assembly.jpg

Using a GN adapter most often tears the wingplate/frame area apart.

In his particular case, it tore the kingpin plate from the pinbox by the leverage it exerted on that component..
Gotcha on that, I'm new to all this 5th wheel stuff and researching if the Reese or Gen Y was a good system to free up the bed. I know the Reese is the only one approved from Lippert.

Users who are viewing this thread